The iPad is the future of computing, says Apple CEO Steve Jobs. But his own introduction of the new MacBook Air yesterday shows that while he and his company are probably right about the iPad, theyre nonetheless hedging their bets. For years, it was debated among Apple enthusiasts to whether Apple would enter the thin and light market by making a tablet or a subnotebook. Ultimately the company did both. The MacBook Air came first, which was underpowered and more expensive than a full-throttle MacBook, didnt have a sizable sales impact. Then came the iPad, which was priced aggressively and was a well rounded product from day one, and its had an earthquake-sized impact on the computing industry.

Debate still continues as to whether the iPad succeeded because its a tablet and the MacBook Air has limped along because its a subnotebook, or because the iPad was positioned well from day one and the Air wasnt, or some combination of both. The more I think about it, the more Ive come to conclude the following: the iPad, by virtue of being a tightly cohesive system which has a finite range of tasks but allow them to be done in an extremely simple and easy manner, is for the mainstream those users who would rather have ten options, all of which they can easily figure out, than twenty options, most of which are on a too-steep learning curve. The MacBook Air, on the other hand, is just a shrunken-head version of a regular Mac, which while infinitely quicker and easier to get things done on than a Windows PC, is still far too geeky by nature for most users, but ideal for those geeks and power users who require a machine to have a hundred percent of the flexibility of a regular desktop computer in order to accomplish their desks.
    10-22-2010 08:33 AM
    Thanks for this. I was surprised that Apple are still making the Macbook Air.
    10-22-2010 09:17 AM
    Why is it infinitely faster to get things done on the MacBook Air than on Windows?
    10-22-2010 11:58 AM
    Why is it infinitely faster to get things done on the MacBook Air than on Windows?
    That's a good question. I have used both... just switched to a Mac, but I don't seen things being that much easier with a Mac... in fact, I am seriously struggling with some things on the Mac that were so easy in Windows... Blanket statements like the one from the OP are patently false.
    10-22-2010 01:49 PM
    iPad is for normal people

Define "Normal"
    10-22-2010 02:25 PM
    I have a Windows laptop at work and a MacBook Pro at home. I love my iPad.
    10-22-2010 05:01 PM
    I have a macbook and an ipad as well as iPhone. I love the devices and when I got my macbook it wasn't hard from me to switch from my windows pc. I don't think the transition was hard, and for those that are in fact having a hard time, I used the video's available from Apple's website. Really useful helpful quick tips and tricks. I too am also wondering why the iPad is for "NORMAL" people?
    10-22-2010 06:51 PM
    The new Mac Book Air has a lot of "cool factor" to it, but I would imagine that would fade after you realize there is no DVD/Blu Ray drive at all.

A thin screen is cool and all but I need functionality.
    10-25-2010 04:01 PM
    we dont have to have a clear winner, different people can use different devices to access the same things, just like we have different sized tv's and types of them.
    11-08-2010 06:27 PM
    The new Mac Book Air has a lot of "cool factor" to it, but I would imagine that would fade after you realize there is no DVD/Blu Ray drive at all.

I know that I personally rarely use my super drive on my mac book. As another poster said different people have different needs, but I seriously fail to see how an iPad could replace a laptop or desktop completely at this point. I was so excited when they unveiled a new air. I honestly think it could be my next laptop. All of my music is now on an external and I honestly don't use my hardrive for much more then music. I do some occasional video editing, and BGR said it handled it without problem.

I still on the fence between a 2.13 processor 4GB ram 256 HD air, or a 2.8 8GB ram 500GB macbook pro. Quite a price difference between the two, but I'm still in decision. My only fear with the air is that it is still unknown how big of a foot print Apple's Lion OS will have. That's my .02.
    11-09-2010 05:15 AM

EXACTLY. What a lot of hard core Apple users need to know is theres more to a product then just looks.

Its like getting together with a hot chick. She could be very pretty, but turns out she has aids. Once the two things are put together, you just put the nail in your coffin.
    11-09-2010 01:32 PM
    Its like getting together with a hot chick. She could be very pretty, but turns out she has aids. Once the two things are put together, you just put the nail in your coffin.
    Oh wow!!!!!
    11-10-2010 12:06 PM
    Oh wow!!!!!
    lol. Well I had to keep it "PG" though it wouldnt surprise me if a 11 year old knew what that ment.
    11-10-2010 12:10 PM
    lol. Well I had to keep it "PG" though it wouldnt surprise me if a 11 year old knew what that ment.
    I'm sure more 11-year olds than you want to admit know what you meant. Sad times.

But back to the topic...

I happen to agree with a lot of responses. Different items for different people. I for one think that the iPad perfectly complements a Mac laptop / computer if you need just basic web access on the go but for a lot of people thats not enough a full computer is necessary which is where the Air comes in. Its the perfect compromise, especially the 11". Sync it with either MobileMe or just a wifi setup back to an iMac or a Pro level computer and the Air or iPad are perfect add ons.
    11-11-2010 05:23 PM
    Thank you!
    11-16-2010 07:49 AM
    MacBook Pro is for work
    iPad is for Recreation
    MacBook air is for showing people you have weak arms and way too much money

Feel free to call me a moron for my personal opinion. I owned all 3 but only kept the MBP15 and iPad because it's the perfect combo for me. The air is nice but I roll my eyes at people who go around claiming that the MBP13 is too heavy or that $999 is affordable for a secondary machine.
    11-17-2010 11:11 AM
    Thank you!
    You're welcome!

for what?

MacBook Pro is for work
    iPad is for Recreation
    MacBook air is for showing people you have weak arms and way too much money

Feel free to call me a moron for my personal opinion. I owned all 3 but only kept the MBP15 and iPad because it's the perfect combo for me. The air is nice but I roll my eyes at people who go around claiming that the MBP13 is too heavy or that $999 is affordable for a secondary machine.
    +1
    11-17-2010 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD