Talk me out of buying an iPad

o2sys

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Recently got the iPhone 4 and fell in love...been a blackberry user for years and felt like I step forward to the 21st century.

I've been wanting to buy and iPad but I keep convincing myself that I don't need one. Is it worth it if you have an iPhone 4? It's basically the same thing isnt it?

Naughty_Ottsel

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
It depends what you will be doing with it, for me it is about doing documents etc for college and so the bigger screen real estate is what is needed. With games, the bigger screen is nice and can mean better sometimes easier interaction due to the size, but games on the iPhone still use the screen effectively and the iPhone 4 is better spec'ed for gaming.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
For me it was - oh look, a larger iPhone. And I went right back to my netbook. Sold the iPad within 30 days of receiving it.

Save yourself the money.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
See and I have both and use them both daily. My iPad has made it so I dont need to use my computers at home very often. I would say between I am on my iPhone and iPad about 90% and my computers the rest of the time.

Naughty_Ottsel

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
The iPad is nice with the web browsing and all, but the lack of flash support and other important features such as uploading and downloading files, you can pick up a netbook or laptop that can do it all for less.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have more laptops and computers than I care to admit, but still use the iPad more. The nice thing about the iPad is the instantaneous of it. No need to start up a computer to look up a quick recipe or to IM your friends. I also have the BT keyboard so if I want to have lengthy conversions or make a long post I have a full keyboard to use.

Things I no longer do on my PC because using the iPad is faster or better:

Instant Messaging (IM+)
RSS news reading (News Rack)
Forum Viewing and Moderating, I am a moderator/Admin for a number of Paintball forums (Forum Runner)
Expense tracking (Xpensetrkr)
Facebook (Facebook app)
Twitter (Echofon)
Web Browsing (iCab Mobile)
Mail (built in app)

Plus games and news readers.

o2sys

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really trying to find a laptop replacement and in no way am I trying to compare them...I 'm trying to see if the "iPad" is worth it while also having an iPhone...because basically they are they same OS and same factor, the main difference would just the screen size.

ziffos

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Recently got the iPhone 4 and fell in love...been a blackberry user for years and felt like I step forward to the 21st century.

I've been wanting to buy and iPad but I keep convincing myself that I don't need one. Is it worth it if you have an iPhone 4? It's basically the same thing isnt it?

Do what I did:-

Buy an ipad and see how you enjoy using both.

If you don't enjoy the ipad - you can always sell it on.

opeycunningham

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
It's not a necessity, but once you start using the iPad, you start finding ways to use it and don't want to live without it. I've been on two business trips with it (sans laptop), prepared and delivered a keynote lecture to a class of business students, and used it to present an abbreviated portfolio to a client for my side photography business. On vacation, I used it to browse newsreaders, blogs, and the NPR app.

Never really played games much, but I'm hooked on the auto racing games and on the 'pad they are addictive!

Occasionally I will let my kids play games or watch netflix movies ("Ok but it's NOT A TOY!" Ok so it's MY toy) to keep them entertained.

I'm already seeing a lot of future application for the medical field (I'm a hospitalist) and the inherent efficiencies it can offer with the right apps/software.

The most frustrating thing I find about it is the typing (have a bluetooth keyboard, but don't use much), and the fact that I can't attach files to emails with the same facility I do on a desktop or laptop.

Sorry if that's not really talking you out of it.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
It's better for web-browsing in most cases. Just make sure you own a computer of some sort if you ever want to transfer songs and whatnot onto the iPad.

Get it. As someone else said, you can always sell it if it's not right for you.

And, seriously, no stranger in an online forum is going to know that considering the little information you've given us.

Good luck.

opeycunningham

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I do and I love it. More than any other iPhone, blackberry, or ostensible "smart" phone I've had. Believe me I'm on the high-churn list at AT&T.

I think what you're asking without asking may be "what does the iPad do that the iPhone doesn't?" which is a fair question. For me, there is no substitute with web browsing and the larger screen, although the retina display of the iPhone is really addicting.

The iPad is a lifestyle/luxury device, no doubt. But the power and potential has yet to be realized.

jerrydavid

Jul 19, 2010
www.fashionshoppings.com
possessing an iPhone4 doesn't mean you have entered the new era or kept up with the times, it has no any direct connection. We should lay the importance to the genuine needs, just like I didn't have a laptop until my college year, for there is no need for me to own a pc before that time.

opeycunningham

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if your comment refers to me, I would say that I agree simply owning a particular tool does not keep one current. I'm not really concerned with "keeping up with the times," but rather I seek the perfect tool to address as many daily needs as efficiently as possible. That, and the fact that some of us are genuinely interested in gadgets and tech.... I suspect there are a lot of us on these boards.

Last edited:

o2sys

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The large screen size is a plus for the iPad and a selling point for many...why would I wait for a smaller iPad? And blackberry's they are seriously good for emailing that's it.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
The iPad is, in many was, a paper substitute. That is largely due to its size.

Make it seven inches and you've made a different product - one ghat has a harder time replacing paper you write on or read from.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW