Lower the quality of YouTube streaming?

chuckz28

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I am a member of our sister sites Android Central and Crackberry but I'm new to iOS and the iPad. Just got the iPad today and I love it so far. My problem is , due to my slow connection of only 3 mb/s is there anyway to lower the YouTube video quality so I don't run into constant stops for buffering? It looks fantastic but gets pretty annoying pretty quick when I get those stops. On android it is just a click of the HD button to switch back and forth and I haven't found anything yet here.

lorin.bute

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is such an option. The videos play at the highest quality possible (but 720 maximum enforces by the hardware).

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i know that if your streaming it over 3g YouTube automatically knocks down the quality but over WiFi there is currently no way to change video quality

Naughty_Ottsel

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
i know that if your streaming it over 3g YouTube automatically knocks down the quality but over WiFi there is currently no way to change video quality

That's part of the OS itself, I'd imagine it could be done with Jailbroken devices somehow, but I think the best way is to pray, unless you can make a suggestion to Apple to change how this is done from a cellular data/wi-fi basis to an internet speed basis.

chuckz28

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
That's part of the OS itself, I'd imagine it could be done with Jailbroken devices somehow, but I think the best way is to pray, unless you can make a suggestion to Apple to change how this is done from a cellular data/wi-fi basis to an internet speed basis.

That stinks. I was probably going to give it a week or so before I jail broke it anyway maybe I can find something afterward. How would I go about making the suggestion to apple?

JorjLim

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
If you use the website m.youtube.com instead of the app, you'll see a HQ button, if you "deselect" that. It should be lower quality.

chuckz28

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up. The YouTube mobile site works great. Thanks for the help. Now I just need to jailbreak and download flash to get the full site to work ;)