3G orr Not 3G

mfc1986

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi

About to purchase Ipad and not sure whether to pay the extra ?100 for 3G version. Plus the additional cost of contract for data.

What I need to know is,

I have USB mobile dongle on the 3 network which is supplied by my works, if I buy the non 3G version will I be able to use the USB mobile dongle?

Thanks in anticipation

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
The iPad doesn't have a USB port on it, so my guess is you would not be able to use the USB Mobile Dongle with it.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I would go with the 3G, just so you have it if wifi is not available. You don't have to activate the 3G network until you need it, so just keeping it inactive means you won't pay any extra for data.

Rudolphe

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just tether from my droid x on verizon. No extra 100 for the iPad and no extra 30 per mo for data. Plus it's unlimited... Can't go wrong.

jjjwicks

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the WiFi only version and took it back as soon as the 3G became available. When I have free time and use my iPad, I do not want to have to look for a hotspot. World of difference.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I would get a wifi only model, and then get one of those mifi devices. You may spend a bit, but you have more choice if you do not want to use a GSM network.

Rudolphe

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I would get a wifi only model, and then get one of those mifi devices. You may spend a bit, but you have more choice if you do not want to use a GSM network.

Not spending anymore than you would if you paid for a 3G iPad plus data service for a year. I still say jailbreak/root + tether is the best way to go. Your using data services you already pay for and you don't have to carry an extra piece of gear.

Edit: I can't see myself paying for Internet access three times over. Already pay for home net and phone net.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not spending anymore than you would if you paid for a 3G iPad plus data service for a year. I still say jailbreak/root + tether is the best way to go. Your using data services you already pay for and you don't have to carry an extra piece of gear.

Edit: I can't see myself paying for Internet access three times over. Already pay for home net and phone net.

Thats only if you dont like GSM service. Mifi runs on a lot of networks.

Reactions: Rudolphe

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Like what I said on the thread that I started, I did regret not getting the 3g. Most of the time I am online and there are times I could not get through wi fi or worst, there is no wi fi around.

Taka13

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
3G

I live in the states and I don't know what kind of deal Apple struck up for you guys on the other side of the pond but we get a contract free 3G when we purchase that particular iPad. I don't constantly use the 3G since I'm usually near a Wi-fi point but when I travel, that 3G capability really comes in handy. If you going to buy a high-caliber device such as the iPad, you might as well get all the pretty bells and whistles.

AlecH

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Please also note that the 3G model has a built in GPS for the maps application, and other apps that can use your location info. The wifi model does not have GPS. No need to get a data package for the 3G model - you can use MyWi and use your iPhone as a hotspot.

IPad 3G 64gb

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Please also note that the 3G model has a built in GPS for the maps application, and other apps that can use your location info. The wifi model does not have GPS. No need to get a data package for the 3G model - you can use MyWi and use your iPhone as a hotspot.

IPad 3G 64gb

on my wifi iPad, you can double tap the location button and there is a GPS like feature. (The map turns to the direction I'm facing)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711