I wish I could backup without the need for a computer, why can't apple release a large external disk and an app so we backup and restore to that. Then we could be stand alone on iPad

It would be great for my mother, she is over 70 and has never used a pc or Mac, iPad is the perfect tool for her to communicate with family around the country, and have access to the web for the first time, if only she didn't need to have to own and master another main computer as well.
    10-02-2010 04:56 AM
    Apple! give you choices! unheard of! i call shenanigans
    10-02-2010 05:17 AM
    Why don't you set it up for her? Perhaps once a week or once every two weeks you help her with it. You'll be a great son/daughter if you did that for her.
    10-03-2010 04:30 PM
    I wish I could backup without the need for a computer, why can't apple release a large external disk and an app so we backup and restore to that. Then we could be stand alone on iPad

It would be great for my mother, she is over 70 and has never used a pc or Mac, iPad is the perfect tool for her to communicate with family around the country, and have access to the web for the first time, if only she didn't need to have to own and master another main computer as well.
    It would be a better device for many of us if it didn't require a computer and could be "its own man."
    10-04-2010 10:30 AM
    My question is - what would your mother need to back-up/sync onto a computer. I have had an iPad for three months now and I can't remember when I last connected it to my laptop. It gets my emails and contacts and calendar information just fine over the air through exchange and gmail. I sync important documents I want to use when traveling though Drop Box or Logmein.

If as you describe your mother just wants to stay in touch with family, I really dont see why the laptop connection wold be important. Maybe for the initial setup but after that I think it could stand on its own with maybe a periodic refresh when you visit.

A I missing something by not backing up frequently?
    10-04-2010 11:01 AM
    Using only IMAP email and internet access, there's really no need to back up.
    10-04-2010 11:37 AM
    thanks for all your comments. I agree an online email account would do away without the need for that backup. The main thing i wanted backups of were things like photos and things she would create in ipad apps, documents lists etc..

thanks for the dropbox suggestion I'll look at that

cheers guys :-)
    10-04-2010 06:27 PM
    Your 70+ year old mom has an iPad, how cool is that! My mom is only approaching her 60's and teaching her Facebook is such an ordeal but this is one the moments with her I treasure the most.
    10-05-2010 06:27 AM
    thanks guys
    10-06-2010 05:44 PM
    but what is IMAP mail?
    10-06-2010 05:44 PM
    70+ year? wow!
    10-06-2010 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD