iPad WiFi Owners- Do you regret not getting the 3g?

Nitkayamy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Professional staff and excellent customer service

williamclarkpainting com/services php]PROFESSIONAL STAFF AND EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE
williamclarkpainting com/res_gallery php?cat_id=45]WELL TRAINED EMPLOYEES
williamclarkpainting com/testimonials php]QUALITY CONTROL AND DAILY INSPECTIONS

andykeating

May 15, 2010
www.sortshots.com
Nop I love it. Just two things I don't like. The weak WiFi when I'm in some parts of my house and when you change tabs in Safari it refresh the page. I really haven't touch my laptop that much since I got the iPad. :)

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
So, I guess I'll be "that guy."

You totally got me with that one.

I thought that, after your misstep, when your friend asked you for advice because he had to make the same choice you did, you'd say, "I'm not happy with the wifi model. Don't make the mistake I did. Get the 3G model!"

Instead, you sold him yours so you could get a better one. Sorry but, as presented, that kinda sucks.

Maybe the friend does not have the need to get the 3g. Well, I can only hope.

Kratzer

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The Ipad is going to outlast 3g by far (IMHO). Eventually having the built in 3g will be like having a dial up modem on your computer. Sure, you could use it...but 4g hotspot will be much better.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The Ipad is going to outlast 3g by far (IMHO). Eventually having the built in 3g will be like having a dial up modem on your computer. Sure, you could use it...but 4g hotspot will be much better.

"4G" is still very new, and no one as of yet has "true 4G". (Sprint's Wimax is just an advanced wifi. T-mobile claims to have 4G, when its really 3G with a speed boost.)

and 3G is still fast, but 4G should be about ten times as fast as 3G

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site

Having a wifi-only iPad where there is no wifi is like having a 0k modem on your computer. Sure, you could use it (not really)...but 3G is much better.

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVO now, and I get up to two wifi enable devices I can tether with my mobile phone connection. If I want the other six, I have to pay $29 a month.

so really, I can have a 4G enabled ipad. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I have an EVO now, and I get up to two wifi enable devices I can tether with my mobile phone connection. If I want the other six, I have to pay $29 a month.

so really, I can have a 4G enabled ipad. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Agreed. If my Pre had better reception, I would be doing something similar (but slower).

Then again, my Pre only shares 200kbps despite having speeds 3 times as fast.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But that is mostly based on your area and what straignth the towers are at. We get pretty good 3G here in the Portland metro area. I havn't really tested the 4G yet.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
But that is mostly based on your area and what straignth the towers are at. We get pretty good 3G here in the Portland metro area. I havn't really tested the 4G yet.

I'm bothered that I am limited to 1/3rd of the phone's bandwidth. 200kbps sucks for most purposes on my iPad.

I tried it when I had the wifi model and it was torture. As you say, it depends on your area but, as much as I love the Pre, its antenna sucks butt.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I live next to some wetlands, and infact my neighborhood was built on wetlands 25 years ago and my signal at home is not that strong even though I live with in the city limits, but once I get out on the main road, my signal is fine.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on how you use the device and how much you are willing to pay for internet connectivity anywhere.

I see it more as a laptop. 90% of the time I use it at home. The rest of the time I'll use it at a cafe with wifi. It's too big to lug it around as my primary mobile internet device compared to my phone. And I do not want to pay for internet x 3. I pay for internet at home, on my phone, I'm not paying a third time for it.

In the beginning I used the iPad mainly for entertainment- games, etc. Now, it's my go to study device- good reader and flashcards deluxe have really transformed the way I study. And neither one needs a internet connection to work since everything is on the iPad.

rprata

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I got the WiFi version off of Craigslist, with the intention of tethering to my Nexus One when I didn't have WiFi access. Well, that turned out to be an OK plan for short bursts of usage, but any more than that was a serious drain on the N1's battery. My work agreed to reimburse me for the iPad 3G service, so I ended up selling the WiFi version on CL and getting the 3G one new from the Apple Store. Don't regret it at all, as I find I use it a lot more with the always-on 3G.

MobileMania

Banned
Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
^welcome to the forum rprata.

Like what everybody said, it all depends with needs. I was able to sell mine to someone who does not need to be online all the time like I do.

rprata

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
^welcome to the forum rprata.

Like what everybody said, it all depends with needs. I was able to sell mine to someone who does not need to be online all the time like I do.

Thanks.. and I agree with you 100% that not everyone will find value in the 3G version.. I had no problem selling my original WiFi-only iPad for what I paid for it, YMMV.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little late to this party. But I don't regret it one bit. I am a T-Mob user, so I really didn't want to fork out to AT&T as well. Also, I can just rock MyWi on my iPhone (Yes I know it's only EDGE, but it works in a pinch) or My LG Optimus is running FROYO so there is a hotspot built right into the OS there, so I can just use that for 3G access.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I got the 3G model at the last minute, and I don't regret grabbing it so far. In a few months of paying the bill I'll reconsider that statement, but there are a number of places I go where wifi is bad, or there is none at all (when I visit ANYONE in my family), and since I use this for school I figured it would be nice to have a connection at these times.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh