Yeah. I live next to some wetlands, and infact my neighborhood was built on wetlands 25 years ago and my signal at home is not that strong even though I live with in the city limits, but once I get out on the main road, my signal is fine.
    11-10-2010 03:22 PM
    It all depends on how you use the device and how much you are willing to pay for internet connectivity anywhere.

I see it more as a laptop. 90% of the time I use it at home. The rest of the time I'll use it at a cafe with wifi. It's too big to lug it around as my primary mobile internet device compared to my phone. And I do not want to pay for internet x 3. I pay for internet at home, on my phone, I'm not paying a third time for it.

In the beginning I used the iPad mainly for entertainment- games, etc. Now, it's my go to study device- good reader and flashcards deluxe have really transformed the way I study. And neither one needs a internet connection to work since everything is on the iPad.
    11-10-2010 07:33 PM
    I got the WiFi version off of Craigslist, with the intention of tethering to my Nexus One when I didn't have WiFi access. Well, that turned out to be an OK plan for short bursts of usage, but any more than that was a serious drain on the N1's battery. My work agreed to reimburse me for the iPad 3G service, so I ended up selling the WiFi version on CL and getting the 3G one new from the Apple Store. Don't regret it at all, as I find I use it a lot more with the always-on 3G.
    11-14-2010 12:55 PM
    ^welcome to the forum rprata.

Like what everybody said, it all depends with needs. I was able to sell mine to someone who does not need to be online all the time like I do.
    11-15-2010 04:45 AM
    ^welcome to the forum rprata.

Like what everybody said, it all depends with needs. I was able to sell mine to someone who does not need to be online all the time like I do.
    Thanks.. and I agree with you 100% that not everyone will find value in the 3G version.. I had no problem selling my original WiFi-only iPad for what I paid for it, YMMV.
    11-18-2010 10:39 AM
    Because I do. The iPad is totally useless for me when I don't have wifi around. One time, I was to show off some of the cool features of iPad to my friends and whalla! there was no Wifi around.
    I agree with you!
    11-22-2010 12:55 AM
    Not really, wifi is available everywhere i use my iPad.
    11-29-2010 11:01 AM
    I'm a little late to this party. But I don't regret it one bit. I am a T-Mob user, so I really didn't want to fork out to AT&T as well. Also, I can just rock MyWi on my iPhone (Yes I know it's only EDGE, but it works in a pinch) or My LG Optimus is running FROYO so there is a hotspot built right into the OS there, so I can just use that for 3G access.
    11-29-2010 11:49 AM
    Not really, wifi is available everywhere i use my iPad.
    I wouldnt say everywhere. Sure you can walk in to a starbucks or mcdonalds, but what about elsewhere? You may find wifi, but it could be on a private network or require a password of such/
    11-29-2010 12:26 PM
    I got the 3G model at the last minute, and I don't regret grabbing it so far. In a few months of paying the bill I'll reconsider that statement, but there are a number of places I go where wifi is bad, or there is none at all (when I visit ANYONE in my family), and since I use this for school I figured it would be nice to have a connection at these times.
    11-29-2010 01:21 PM
    No, not at all...
    12-04-2010 07:07 PM
    Im perfectly happy without 3G
    12-04-2010 08:25 PM
    3G model is certainly better. I had not bought wi-fi model, waited and bought 3G.
    12-07-2010 09:37 AM
    No cu z I have wifi at home and I use my iPad for home where I'm at a majority of the time and my iPhone when I'm on the road. No regrets whatsoever.
    12-08-2010 03:15 PM
    My iPad arrives Christmas day(and by that I mean that's when the wifey forks it over to me), but, I would never have gotten just a wifi model. IMO 3G is a must on an iPad, having data on the go is just too valuable to me. The 2GB plan(not needed every month by me) will suffice plenty(still have unlimited on my iP4)
    12-09-2010 05:36 PM
    I bought with 3G and got the free 1 month sim but never needed it, use wifi where possible and when that is out of range I use my mobile phones wireless hotspot to keep me running, works really well with htc desire on vodaphone (uk)

Bought my other half an iPad for Xmas but went for the cheaper non 3G model.
    12-11-2010 03:31 PM
    I tether off my HTC EVO 4G. It has unlimited data and the 4G is broadband fast. I defintely do not regret not buying the 3G model.
    12-11-2010 04:49 PM
    iPad 3G would be interesting if AT&T or someone offered a day by day pre-paid option. With the wide availability of wifi, I would want a 3G ipad only if I can have network access in the few times that wifi isn't available.
    12-27-2010 02:46 PM
    I Got My Firts Ipad Wifi Yday day After Christmas,
    Honestly I felt Regret Why I Didnt Get The 3G
    I Used Wifi COnnection Around my Home, and Here a few Cafe and Mall Available for Wifi Connection,
    But SOmetime, WHen I go to someplace that There's No Wifi Available , I really Cant do anything with My ipad

But It Is Ok, Cant Wait for Ipad 2 ( If This Possible) and Grab the 3G And Wifi Version
    12-27-2010 08:31 PM
    Can't imagine not having 3g. I use it all the time when away from home.
    01-01-2011 11:31 AM
    Work bought the wifi, I really like the ipad, I grew tired of putting my phone into hotspot mode and killing the battery, I bought the 3G, and am happy i did.
    01-02-2011 08:59 PM
    I think you end up adapting to no 3G in the long run.
    01-03-2011 11:48 AM
    So Happy I got the 3G model, I dont think I could have gotten just the wifi, 3G enables me too have great freedom, love to browse while on the go!
    01-03-2011 06:32 PM
    I've got the 3G and now I wish I'd saved the money and gone wi-fi. The mobile hotspots weren't available at launch so I got a 3G as the only option. Now I've got a Clear iSpot 4G, so for $25/month I've got a connection as fast as my home wi-fi connection, no usage limits, no searching for wi-fi, and the girlfriend (whose iPad is wi-fi only) and others can share the connection.

And I like that the iPad seeing it as wi-fi means the iPad doesn't employ the compromises it uses for 3G like lower-res Youtube playback or iTunes refusing to download larger files.

I'll likely keep my 3G model simply to have the service as a back-up (Clear's 4G coverage hasn't reach a lot of smaller areas) rather than trade off for a 64GB wi-fi, but my next iPad will be a wi-fi only model used with a mobile hotspot. It's the same as when laptops came with modems or the first w-fi transmitters - getting a model with the connection built-in always resulted in you being a generation behind.
    01-04-2011 11:46 AM
    3G also has the gps chip.

I will admit, though, that the wifi locating mechanism is impressive.
    01-04-2011 04:02 PM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD