Restore Needed iPhone cannot make or receive calls ...on an iPad

Dieter Bohn

Editor Emeritus
Feb 1, 2001
www.backlon.com
So my iPad is resetting itself every 5 minutes. just before it goes, I get the following pop-up error message:

Restore Needed

iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes. Apple - Support

I'm trying to sync now before I do a restore, but it can't even finish that without resetting!

Dieter Bohn

Editor Emeritus
Feb 1, 2001
www.backlon.com
hoof. Not feeling great about this. iPad just reset itself mid-restore. Trying again. I see a genius bar visit in my future. But I don't want to lose my Snow White Decal!

Dieter Bohn

Editor Emeritus
Feb 1, 2001
www.backlon.com
...and got the restore done .....and.... it's dead, JIM. See attached.

There is a problem with your iPad.

We're sorry, the iPad you connected may be damaged and cannot be activated for service. We recommend you visit your nearest Apple Store for more information. To find your nearest Apple Store, click here/

The iPad shows the USB-> iTunes logo and I get that error in iTunes. Then after a few minutes that same "Restore Needed" message from before pops up and the iPad resets itself.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
You could try rebooting your Mac to see if a clean iTunes launch can catch it. Or do a Restore again after DFU mode:

1. Turn iPad off
2. Hold down sleep + home
3. Count to 10, then as the Apple logo comes up, release sleep button, keep holding home
4. Count 5, then as connect to iTunes screen comes up, release home button

Either way, I'd be nervous as to the state of the NAND flash chips inside and probably head to the Apple Store.

Save. That. Decal.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
...and got the restore done .....and.... it's dead, JIM. See attached.

The iPad shows the USB-> iTunes logo and I get that error in iTunes. Then after a few minutes that same "Restore Needed" message from before pops up and the iPad resets itself.
Damn. I'm glad you were at least able to back it up before it fully croaked.

Did you try calling Apple or do you just prefer the face-to-face experience of the Genius Bar?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner