There is no way I would ever ditch my MBP, I use that sucker for things the iPad couldn't come close to doing. I do use it for browsing the web, email, and remote connection to my desktop at work. I'm actually for the hell of it going to try and use the iPad all week at work next week but like I said I have a desktop that I can remote into for the things I know the iPad wont be able to do.
    12-10-2010 03:47 PM
    I no longer carry a laptop on the road. If my schedule has me on the Road Tuesday, I take my MacBook Air to do my webcast. Everything else, I can do with LogMeIn and the iPad.

I am hoping for the iPad 2 in the Spring and for it to have a camera supported by Skype so that I can do my webcast from the iPad.
    12-10-2010 04:03 PM
    Can't ditch the laptop and Tablet PC completely, but I find I don't need to carry them much to get most of my work done. Still need the full OS computer while away on long trips though.
    I no longer carry a laptop on the road. If my schedule has me on the Road Tuesday, I take my MacBook Air to do my webcast. Everything else, I can do with LogMeIn and the iPad.

I am hoping for the iPad 2 in the Spring and for it to have a camera supported by Skype so that I can do my webcast from the iPad.
    PREferred#IM likes this.
    12-10-2010 04:05 PM
    The iPad has replaced my need for a computer altogether. Everything I do, i can do with the iPad. I haven't used my desktop computer since I got the iPad!
    Last edited by MYNAMESALEX; 12-11-2010 at 01:01 AM.
    12-11-2010 12:59 AM
    I have an HP TX2500 Tablet PC latop. Will keep that because it's now a back up to my desktop AND becuase it does have a true WACOM tablet. However...I used to have a Sony Vaio P530H Ultraportable. I ditched that as soon as I got my hands on an iPad at the Apple Store. :-)
    12-15-2010 01:47 AM
    This is just a pure misconception that the current version of the ipad can replace a laptop.The ipad is a different device and it is meant for people who want to surf the web,play games,listen to music and do basic computational tasks on the go and are not willing to take the burden of carrying the laptop everywhere they go.The ipad can't do even 1/5th of the tasks that your laptop can do.Regards
    12-22-2010 05:10 AM
    This is just a pure misconception that the current version of the ipad can replace a laptop.The ipad is a different device and it is meant for people who want to surf the web,play games,listen to music and do basic computational tasks on the go and are not willing to take the burden of carrying the laptop everywhere they go.The ipad can't do even 1/5th of the tasks that your laptop can do.Regards
    I think it comes down to the fact that many never used their laptops for more than what you can do on an ipad.
    12-22-2010 06:33 AM
    I think it comes down to the fact that many never used their laptops for more than what you can do on an ipad.
    Exactly! People tend to get more power than they need with computers, and he iPad has proven a lot of people didn't need the power of their laptops or even their net books.
    01-01-2011 06:43 AM
    I have a Laptop and a Netbook.
    Since I got my IPad I have stopped using the Netbook altogether and reduced using the Laptop by about 70%

I will always need a laptop or desktop to run dedicated applications for work or business which normally includes extensive file management and downloads.
    01-01-2011 08:00 AM

I have to use Skype when I'm away from home, but if Skype comes out on the new iPad 2 (as I hear it may well do) then yes, I won't need the laptop on the road.
    01-01-2011 11:18 AM
    Since I sold off my iPad (and want to get another one) I purchased a MacBook Air 13" full spec. It has been really great for travel and medium intensity work. I would like an iPad and could see me getting an AppleTV for our movie collection or taking it when we travel and using the iPad to push movies to the TV.

But I would not see the iPad as a full Laptop Replacement even with the BT KB/Case options available, there are still too many things I need my laptop for that the iPad wouldn't work really work well for.
    01-02-2011 05:03 PM
    Dropbox is the file transfer king. I send files and pics to Db then pull up the app w/ my blackberry to sift and sort and email and any other redirect needed. thanks Dropbox!
    01-27-2011 10:53 AM
    Dropbox is the file transfer king. I send files and pics to Db then pull up the app w/ my blackberry to sift and sort and email and any other redirect needed. thanks Dropbox!
    Agreed. I really did not understand The Cloud and services like Dropbox until I found myself with six computers. Dropbox makes sharing files across the Internet easier than sharing them on my LAN.
    01-27-2011 10:56 AM
    Sold my MacBook Pro after getting the iPad. I had little use for it since I already have a desktop PC and home media center PC.
    01-27-2011 01:24 PM
    ipad great for quick web searching and apps, but will NEVER replace a computer. Although it has taken up a big percentage of usage between the two
    01-28-2011 12:40 PM
    ipad great for quick web searching and apps, but will NEVER replace a computer. Although it has taken up a big percentage of usage between the two
    The young believe that the world has always been as they found it and will always remain so.

Depending upon when one was born, the iPad is THE computer, a computer, or something else. Until the personal computer, most people had never used a computer. For most of us, the only thing that can qualify as a "computer" is something that is optimized for OUR application. Most of us chose our application based upon the typical configuration and user interface that existed.

Many people have become computer users, perhaps even without knowing it, since the iPhone and the iPad have come upon the scene. Whatever, anyone may think, these are computers that are simply adapted to an application and environment.

Those born in 2011, may never use a traditional personal computer, one that only has a keyboard, GUI, and mouse. They may believe that any computer that cannot talk and listen and recognize gestures is simply too limited to qualify as a "computer."

The little nuns that schooled me wrote beautiful hands. They failed to teach my generation to do so. I came of age at about the time that typewriters became "personal." I type reasonably well. I "write" with a computer. I like to "see" what I write. I do not dictate well. While I can do most of my applications with an iPad, I do not draft well using an iPad. I need a "computer" to draft. Kids born today will draft by voice because the power of their computers will encourage it.

What one calls a "computer" depends upon when one was born and what one does.
    01-28-2011 02:15 PM
    I wouln't say 2011, but anyone born with in the last 5 years, may be even ten. I was born in 1990. That year computers were still luxury items. Windows 3.1 came out and came with success due to the gUI being tweaked, and almost mac OS like compared to the DOS like UI that came with Windows 1 and Windows 2. Apple was under a diferent CEO with bunch of other models. By the time I started using a computer, Windows 95 and OS 6 (?) were the choices. Windows 98 was in testing. The macs were eirther huge towers or all in ones with CD drives and floppy disks and Steve jobs was just returning. Matter of fact the fist computer I used was a mac at school.

So lets say those born in 2000. their first taste of a computer would most likely have been Eirther XP or Vista, or even OSX tiger and Leopard (that is, if their parrents didnt have a computer in the early 2000s) They will be 11 this year, so from here on out, all they will use are mobile devices. Now if someone were born in 2010, then chances are your theorie may be right, as ten years from now, we may not have the keyboard and mouse,

but I don't think they will die off that soon. There will still be a need for a powerful machine that needs to get work done first over swiping, tapping and pinching. (trust me, there is) I do how ever, see the end of a physical keyboard, and more laptops, and even desktops having vitural keyboards that could even combine the mouse.

Few years from now, we may even see Apple integrating a iPad like display in to the macbooks and having that as the keyboard and mouse, may be even a secondary display.

but I don't see the world going to all iPads. that is just a bit over the top.
    01-28-2011 03:56 PM
    I only use my laptop for storing files and syncing to itunes otherwise it all iPad use only. I couldnt live a day without it
    01-28-2011 04:03 PM
    Can someone ditch their laptop for the iPad, well depending what they do sure it's possible. This will not apply to the majority of users today though. The iPad has appeared and right now it might not be a contender to take over the role but there are still many generations to come and ways to grow. The 2nd gen is rumored to have an SD card slot, in the future as flash memory grows and prices get cheap who knows what the storage will become. If you compare a computer from 1990 to one today the features, capabilities and hardware is vastly different and in the same way comparing the 10th generation iPad to today's model could be the same thing.
    01-28-2011 04:38 PM
    I use them both together. It depends on what I need. For example, if I need iChat then I'll need to turn on my MacBook/iMac. The main problem that I have with my iPad is the ability to upload images and stuff directly to image-hosting websites like TinyPic. Also, the lack of Flash means there are occasions I don't actually have a choice in the matter.
    01-28-2011 06:55 PM
    I know I couldn't totally ditch my MacBook Pro, but having an iPad would definitely cut into my usage of a laptop. I'll be picking up an iPad once the second generation is released.
    01-29-2011 12:27 AM
    I gave up my 17" laptop for a netbook. I then gave up the netbook for the iPad 3G. I have experienced a few situations in which I feel I would have liked to have had a real computer. One involved printing. The other is websites that require flash...it really seems like a silly thing to disallow on an otherwise capable device.
    Last edited by @j_nathaniel; 02-23-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    02-22-2011 05:18 PM
    I would NEVER do that.
    02-22-2011 05:36 PM
    I have an older desktop and my work laptop. I don't own an iPad yet, but plan on getting the iPad2 instead of a new computer at this time. I decided my family and I would enjoy the iPad more and there are always deals to be found on new computers.
    02-25-2011 09:06 AM
    My laptop broke last year right around the time the iPad was coming out. Instead of getting a new laptop, I got an iPad. The iPad can do 95% of what a laptop can do. For me it does 99%. The only thing it doesn't do for me is flash. So I created a VPN at home and when I need flash I just go through the desktop computer.
    02-25-2011 09:51 AM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD