I really wish the iPad could do more. By that I mean, I wish the iWork suite is useful. I saw a kid in my class trying to type a long with instructor on his iPad using "keynote". It was painful to watch. The formatting is weird/hard to do/limited.

I could never get rid of my macbook pro, but I do like to use my iPad as a big planner, and for surfing the web and doing small things, it's awesome. I can't wait to get the next version.
    09-22-2010 06:16 PM
    I use my laptop much less since purchasing my iPad.
    09-23-2010 09:30 AM
    I can't until there is better mousing control. For me this is because I have to edit files remotely using column select. I can't do that on my RDP app without someway to select a column longer than 100s of lines. Otherwise I can operate without the laptop if needed.
    09-23-2010 09:43 PM
    I really need to get the keyboard so I can use my iPad to take notes in class.

Maybe a Christmas gift?
    09-26-2010 01:18 PM
    Ya i'd definitely hold on to the laptop, the iPad has its strengths but if you use it for business or important transactions, I would say a laptop is still better.
    09-27-2010 12:49 PM
    I did. My laptop was on it's last legs and I only really used it for light web surfing anyway. I was in the market to replace it, but the iPad really won me over.

I still have a desktop though, but I even turn that on a whole lot less now.
    09-27-2010 01:19 PM
    I don't own a desktop but I had two laptops - a large model with 15" display as a desktop replacement and a subnotebook for traveling around. I gave the subnotebook to an aunt after I got the iPad. I haven't stopped using the larger machine around the house, but I do find I use the iPad more than I used the subnotebook. The battery life, cheap data plan, and quality of the screen helps, but it's also because I read a lot and it doubles as an eReader.
    09-27-2010 03:29 PM
    I use my iPad more then I thought I would use it. It just works. The laptop and desktop have taken a back seat.
    10-01-2010 02:58 PM
    Bye Bye Laptop!!!
    10-01-2010 09:03 PM
    I haven't even turned my laptop on since I got my iPad on launch day.. I have a desktop computer that I use to occasionally sync the iPad to. The only things the iPad doesn't do as well as my pc that I would really like is a proper photo/art tool with the functionality of photshop, and some specific games that only run on pc. I have tried all the recommended iPad photo/art apps and they fall short. Printing isn't an issue for me, i very rarely need to print something ( once or twice a year at most, I email the things I need to communicate )
    10-02-2010 04:51 AM
    Bye Bye Laptop!!!
    Not working out for me. This week will make three in a row in which I have had to carry a laptop. I am having to do my webcast from the road. Having to take the laptop. If the iPad had a camera and if Skype supported it. I could do it if Skype just supported the iPhone 4 camera. Skype just blows me off when I ask about new support.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10-02-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    10-02-2010 03:53 PM
    Donate your laptop to me lol I really haven't converted over to the all touch when it comes to iPad. Maybe if I can do programs like Photoshop and adobe illustrator I need for work I might convert over but intil then laptop or netbook HOOO!!!
    10-02-2010 05:39 PM
    I haven't yet, but I want to. I have gotten the wireless keyboard and a stand (to view it),so that is for easy travel.

I really wish there was a better way to open/edit/save files. I have good reader, drop box, idisk, and the editing apps, but it can be very convoluted to try and move files between them.

Chris
    10-04-2010 11:12 AM
    If you're going to give up your guaranteed bleed damage in exchange for a gamble that you'll crit more, Pulverize has to hit sufficiently hard that you manage your Lacerates with the sort of obsession more frequently seen in heroin addicts or Twilight enthusiasts. Give me the opportunity to lay the pimp hand of God almighty on a mob every 16 seconds, and I'll hand you a rotation so flawless it could be gilded and sold to the idiots at Sotheby's. If it hits for the same or less as your usual damage skills, Pulverize becomes something that you have to do because you're balanced around it, rather than something you want to do because it's cool.
    11-23-2010 02:28 AM
    Nope, but now that I have 4.2 on my iPad, I find myself using it a lot more than my MacBook.
    11-23-2010 11:12 PM
    I gave my laptop to my mom. Once iPad2 is released I will give my iPad to my mom as well
    11-24-2010 12:39 AM
    I have a Macbook, a Vista desktop, an iPad and an iPhone - and I use one of these 4 devices almost every waking moment. I am an iPhone developer so ditching the Macbook is simply not an option but for a college students I would say it's unlikely that she will come across an app she absolutely must have that's not on the iPad so best wait till this need actually arises before possibly buying a laptop. However, for me the overriding reason to keep using a laptop is still the speed of typing: it may be just me but typing on the iPad still takes me 5-10 times more on the iPad when taking into account everything (not just typing): editing, cut-and-paste.
    11-25-2010 12:31 PM
    Same here... laptop is now on the backburner. Its too bad that the ipad can't do everything that a laptop can. I'm a CNC Machinist, so I do need an actual laptop for machine programming. Once I can run CAD/CAM programs on my ipad... my laptop turns into a paper weight

DXmeatclaws via tapatalk
    11-28-2010 11:31 PM
    Need my laptop for too much - but I'm taking the iPad by itself to more and more meetings (notetaking and having reference docs preloaded) - I'm also leaving the laptop behind occasionally when it can be plugged into a reliable network connection and I use logmein to access it from the iPad.

Nowhere near a laptop replacement for me.. yet... but it's become an indispensable companion!
    11-29-2010 12:30 AM
    Instead of buying a laptop for school (college), I got myself an iPad!
    I thoroughly researched the decision, and decided I would prefer it. Does doc editing, great ebook reader, and SO thin!
    Not to mention the games and everything else on it! iPad is awesome, glad I got one
    11-29-2010 02:33 AM
    As a developer, no way.
    11-29-2010 10:53 AM
    Rich guy! I use laptops too since a Lenovo or Asus are cheap to buy...

I gave my laptop to my mom. Once iPad2 is released I will give my iPad to my mom as well
    12-01-2010 06:16 AM
    Why does iOS not have file uploading support to websites? If it's because of a lack of file system, couldn't u just have a search function to select a file to upload? Anyone think this is coming to iOS?

I think u need to have a household laptop (be it net book or desktop replacement) just incase u ever need to do anything major, and that the tablet is a luxury after that for basic computing on a more mobile device, unless u r never going to upload photos, files, or edit media or play a gamers game.
    12-02-2010 10:38 AM
    Why does iOS not have file uploading support to websites? If it's because of a lack of file system, couldn't u just have a search function to select a file to upload? Anyone think this is coming to iOS?

I think u need to have a household laptop (be it net book or desktop replacement) just incase u ever need to do anything major, and that the tablet is a luxury after that for basic computing on a more mobile device, unless u r never going to upload photos, files, or edit media or play a gamers game.
    The issue is identifying the object and addressing the place to put it. iOS 4.2 uses different mechansms for the native apps, i.e., photos, calendar, and contacts, and the optional apps, those included in iWorks.

The native apps only provide for uploading locally to iTunes and remotely to the appropriate folder in MobileMe.

The iWorks applications, that is those that deal with files, provide for file uploading. Obviously the iPad has to have addressability to a file server and the privileges to upload to it. They provide for the easy special case, iDisk, and the general, slightly more difficult, case of WebDAV.

When you tell an iWorks application to save to a WebDAV server, you are prompted for the Server Address, your User Name on that server, and your password. There is also a button named "Learn more about WebDAV." You can also learn more about WebDAV from Windows help and Wikipedia. While I have set up WebDAV servers in the past, I would have to refresh from these sources.

In part because the system that you might want to upload to may be in a different domain, addressability is the issue. That is why we use MobileMe, iDisk and WebDAV.
    12-02-2010 12:41 PM
    Can't ditch the laptop and Tablet PC completely, but I find I don't need to carry them much to get most of my work done. Still need the full OS computer while away on long trips though.
    12-10-2010 01:35 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD