I have purchased an iPad, largely for pleasure but also to help me get to my goal of running a paperless desk. I want to connect my wifi iPad to my office network but my IT manager won't allow it until he finds some documentation about security or antivirus built into the device.

Reliable information has been next-to-impossible to find. Does anyone have any advice?
    07-26-2010 02:32 PM
    Ummmm. You might be out of luck with the anti-virus part. Or you can download some sort of anti-virus app through the App Store. Though IMO is pretty pointless, if your iPad or iPhone get's a virus (though I wouldn't even begin to know how you could) you've just done something incredibly jacked up. Lol. Try Apple. They would know best.
    07-26-2010 03:30 PM
    Your IT Staff seem incredibly lazy. Ummmm, do they know theres no viruses for ipad and iphones?? sounds like one giant sh!tball of an IT staff you have.
    07-26-2010 03:40 PM
    Your IT Staff seem incredibly lazy. Ummmm, do they know theres no viruses for ipad and iphones?? sounds like one giant sh!tball of an IT staff you have.
    There are no "traditional" viruses. The only way you could even do this, would be to Jailbreak it, and download an app from a shady repo that steals information. Basically meaning, the app is the virus. Lol. Apple polices what goes in and out of their products (non-jailbroken devices). Compare it to a cell phone, that's pretty much what it is, minus the phone.
    07-26-2010 03:57 PM
    The only thing I can see as a potential issue is if you forward an email with an attached virus from your iPad... iPad wouldn't get affected but receiver would. Same reason why theres av software for Mac os. There are very few viruses for Mac os but plenty that can get forwarded or sent to windows so the av software on Mac os is more for others safety then yours...
    07-26-2010 07:15 PM
    You can look up the Wifi info to see what version of Wifi it runs I beleive it's N. So beyond that it depends how secure your work Wifi is, your IT dept. might be reading the stories when the iPad was released about certain colleges and universities having problems and large pulls on their networks from iPads. This all really factors in to how the Wifi is setup. The AV well your IT dept. must be very behind in the times there are no viruses for iPhone or iPad it's not an open file system like a conventional computer.
    07-28-2010 06:53 AM
    Only jailbroken iPads and iPhones can be infected by viruses otherwise it is safe.
    I heard about the Virus Barrier X6 but this works only if it is installed in the Mac and it recognizes the iPad if connected then it does the scanning.
    07-30-2010 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD