iPad as the only monitor for a Mac Mini?

Jayhawk#IM

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I posted this as a comment on the Air Display review, but i thought i would post it in the forums to possibly get more responses...

Is there a way to use the iPad as the ONLY monitor for your desktop, not just a second monitor? The reason I ask is this -- I currently own one of the first MacBooks and I'm thinking of upgrading this year. Since I already paid for an iPad this year as well, I'm thinking about getting a Mac Mini to save on money vs getting another MacBook. When I'm at home, I can use the Mini hooked up to my regular monitor, when I'm traveling I can use my iPad ... But if I needed a little extra power traveling, I could bring along the Mini and (hopefully) use the iPad as the monitor. I understand that I would have to plug the Mini in somewhere. Any ideas? Can this work without a wireless connection around?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Jayhawk

Arcaneshark

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Well you could use any of the vnc clients such a iTap VNC Client. I use this a lot at home, when I'm feeling too lazy to go to any of my computers in the house, but need to perform something more "desktop" related. Of course, you would need to configure the remote services, but I'm sure all these can be done headless from your old MacBook.

Ok well you say at home it'll be connected to a monitor anyways, sorry so you can easily configure it there.

And you should be able to have an ad-hoc wireless connection between iPad and Mac Mini.

threar

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd agree with Arcaneshark, there's no real reason you should *have* to plug in a monitor. Setting up the Mac Mini to always enable a VNC server along with having it create an ad-hoc network should allow you to do all interaction via the iPad.

Another idea that I've used quite a lot is with a MiFi (or other tether'able device). That way you could create a small wireless network, your iPad and Mini could join, you can VNC as well as surf on either device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711