Will iOS4 for iPad bring us any unique features?

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
What unique features do you want to see in iOS4 for iPad?

I'm not sure why the iPad update to iOS4 will take so long (Fall'10) but my hopes is that we'll get more than just another dose of "Like the iPhone version but bigger".

Some things I'd like to see in addition to current iOS4:
- Expose Style Multitasking
- Splitscreen iPad Apps (Two at once, or maybe even Tabs)
- Multiple iPhone Apps (You could fit 3 or 4 on screen, kinda like widgets)
- External Cam support (Maybe with Camera Kit and Webcam)
- Podcast Subscriptions Sync (So I don't need to do daily iTunes sync)
- iMovie (This is a no-brainer. Transfer 3GS/4 Vid to iPad and edit big screen)
- iPhoto/Aperture (Also a missing app. Easily Tag faces/places on the couch)

So what else is on everyones wishlist?

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure why the iPad update to iOS4 will take so long (Fall'10) but my hopes is that we'll get more than just another dose of "Like the iPhone version but bigger".

I like the way you think!!! I would defiantly love to see tabs. ESP in the browser. And having more than one app open at once would be great.

glamourd

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Female Photography Creative

Doing a online photo book about the hottest 25 sex symbol female models from the past 15 years. I have some good websites but will take advice on more. thx all

omegadivine

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Me and my friend were actually having this conversationg today... I was saying most of Ilife should be ported to the iPad... IMovie just makes sense and GarageBand would be awesome too. As much as i want new features though i don't expect apple to do anything, iPad news seems to have slown down a lot lately :( but I still want to see how they do app switching since there is a lot more screen area to work with.. And a landscape mode. (ios 4 for iPhone only does app switching in portrait)

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As much as i want new features though i don't expect apple to do anything, iPad news seems to have slown down a lot lately :(

That's only because of iPhone 4. Just give it time, the iPad is still an infant. This fall will be the iPad's time in the spotlight again.

Last edited:

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I like the way you think!!! I would defiantly love to see tabs. ESP in the browser. And having more than one app open at once would be great.

It makes sense doesn't it?

As good as the web browser is, switching between different open pages seems like too many steps. So adding a tab bar that disappears like the bookmark bar seems more intuitive/efficient.

And considering the power of the iPad compared to the 3G then running multiple iPhone apps as widgets would make those non-native apps feel less like they're just an afterthought. I can split screen between the iPhone versions of Words with Friends, Facebook and MLB to monitor them all at once.

With such a long wait for iOS4 for iPad then I'll be really disappointed if it's just the same iPhone version but bigger.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Wishlist

I love the OP's list but knowing Apple I don't think alot would make it over. I do think iMovie will be because it doesn't require a camera to be used. My wishlist is to have the browser switch by swiping left and right instead of the multipage view. I'd also like the browser to go back to the original page when you choose "Open in a new window" or leave it at the multi page view. I hate when I open 4 or 5 links and each time I have to go back to the original page.

MrCippy

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

Winner winner chicken dinner.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It makes sense doesn't it?

As good as the web browser is, switching between different open pages seems like too many steps. So adding a tab bar that disappears like the bookmark bar seems more intuitive/efficient.

And considering the power of the iPad compared to the 3G then running multiple iPhone apps as widgets would make those non-native apps feel less like they're just an afterthought. I can split screen between the iPhone versions of Words with Friends, Facebook and MLB to monitor them all at once.

With such a long wait for iOS4 for iPad then I'll be really disappointed if it's just the same iPhone version but bigger.

I like how iCab handles tabs

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
iMovie on iPad will be sweet! I am really looking forward to the multi tasking and being able to have folders!

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

hmm, this is also all my wishlist! :p:rolleyes::cool:

Especially iMovie on ipad, sweet.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site

u can use Duplicam and use your iPhone as your iPads Camera:eek:

http://forum.tipb.com/ipad-apps-games/192291-check-out-my-ipad-camera-called-duplicam.html

drummersteve

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Given Apple's lack of attention in any way to the iPad at the last event, it's sure to have more features. Given the similarities in the OS (comparing iPad OS to iPhone 3.x, and ignoring native apps such as iCal and Notes), and furthermore the similarities in hardware (A4 chip), making iOS4 iPad compatible would take apple no time at all. As far as i can see, the only difference in the OS is the bigger screen it has to process. Aside from this, the iPad requirements are, in general, perhaps less due to the lack of phone, text, and camera!

There are bound to be enhanced features which don't exist on the iPhone. Or at least, a slightly different approach to the new iPhone OS features - perhaps a different way of handling multitasking, maybe some form of enhanced folders, more in line with stacks on Mac OSX?

Vic_C

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Not to cause any friction or spread any bad rumors but I read somewhere recently that Apple may charge for the iOS4 upgrade!!?? I will try and find the article and post a link but has anyone else heard this or come across any articles like this??? I surely would like to know the truth on this one. Let me try and dig up where I read this.....

Read this from Magbooks Independant Guide to the iPad. They also stated that iPod users have to pay for an upgrade??? Is this true also?? I was not aware iPod software upgrades cost??? How very strange....

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I doubt they would charge for the iOS 4 upgrade since it was free for 3G which is years older than the iPad.

What I was wondering today will the 3G bars on the iPad change because of the new algorithms in iOS 4.0.1?? I've hardly ever had a drop in 3G bars on my iPad even though whatever I'm searching, posting, etc. takes forever. So will we now get bars dropping where it didn't before?

omegadivine

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I am pretty sure the new bars will end up on the iPad 3G... I have ios4 on my 3GS and noticed it's a lot more accurate in saying what service coverage you actually have. It used to read almost always 5 bars on my phone even if service was slowing down or barely working, now in those areas it will reflect 1-3 bars.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW