iPad College Textbooks

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Where are they? I heard numerous times there were going to be textbooks on the iPad and when in the bookstore I can't seem to find any. Is it me? Or are they just not here yet?

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
My daughters are from amazon's site and the publisher sometimes has the PDF version you can get along with the study guides. It's wonderful to have all the texts on one pad! So much easier.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The texts I teach come with .pdf versions for student use (this is high school level). Now if only we could afford $500 per student for an iPad!

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the college texts are mostly from amazon, but once you buy the book the website has lots of PDF study aides and the publisher will sometimes help out. It's really a great thing. Their websites have chapter study quizzes and such that are easy to get to on the ipad's browser. It's such a wonderful tool for students.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Cool. I start online college classes July 1 (in military thats why i'm doing online) and i will obviously need books and this will help a lot!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If your classes are online, you may not have an issue. Online classes are built differently than traditional 1t1 classes and frequently do not use the same textbooks, or even textbooks at all. I have just finished teaching an online class that required no textbook because all the delivery material was online. Just a thought.

potroast

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If your classes are online, you may not have an issue. Online classes are built differently than traditional 1t1 classes and frequently do not use the same textbooks, or even textbooks at all. I have just finished teaching an online class that required no textbook because all the delivery material was online. Just a thought.

I'm doing an online class as well, and the blackboard system they use only works in Microsoft Internet Explorer. It has problems with Firefox and Safari (Mac & Windows)

He might run into issues. :/

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
You might also check out Coursesmart. They have a number of college-level texts available for rent and have both an iPhone and an iPad app.

I rented one of my books for this semester there and it's a passable experience (not great, but not awful).

Once books end up in the Kindle or iBooks stores, I think the iPad will see more traction as a learning device.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site

I'm taking online classes, too. Every class has a text book. I haven't had one without a book yet.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm doing an online class as well, and the blackboard system they use only works in Microsoft Internet Explorer. It has problems with Firefox and Safari (Mac & Windows)

He might run into issues. :/

I have this problem too. I hate the excuses the colleges give. I then proceed to tell them that every web browser for windows, Mac, and Linux support HTML, http/ftp/tcp-ip, and every single other protocol out there, as well as Flash and Java. I never get a response.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The state of educational software in general is pretty appalling.

And Blackboard is still doing over $100M in revenue per quarter.

Gah.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah the books I need are NOT even on the Kindle store! What kind of education am I going to get lol. I had to break down and buy an actual book!!! lol Hopefully eventually I'll get a class that uses a decent enough textbook that has digital copies.

Either that or I am bad at searching and just didnt find it in a pdf or electronic copy.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
i already have the hard copy i got it dirt cheap in great shape! i want the digital copy but i dont think it exists. ive searched with no luck.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner