How often do you see iPad's "in the wild" where you live?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I never have. Not once.

Now that I think about it, I guess that explains the reaction I get when people see mine. They've probably seen as many in the wild as I have - zero.

(You'd think they would have seen one in Best Buy, at least, though.)

Anyway, Tallahassee isn't that big, although it is densely populated. There is only one Best Buy within hundreds of miles (well, maybe more like a hundred or so). There are no Apple stores to be - only apple stores. :)

With that and the shortage of iPads in-mind, I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't see many, but what about the rest of you? How often do you see iPad's "in the wild" where you live?

As a side note, the only person I know who owns one (besides my forum-mates) lives a couple thousand miles away, so this is a nice place to visit.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Come to think of it, never. I am now taking mine everywhere, but I've never seen anyone using one in public. I was thinking that they'd sold so many, I'd spot lots of them, but I really haven't seen them out and about.

Most people ask me "Are you a tech junkie?" and I laugh and nod. They then ask me how much I paid for it and when I say 800, they get all quiet. People have a hard time with the idea of dropping 800 for it. I do remind them they can get one for 500..the lowest wifi model...but the price tag bothers alot of people.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Come to think of it, never. I am now taking mine everywhere, but I've never seen anyone using one in public. I was thinking that they'd sold so many, I'd spot lots of them, but I really haven't seen them out and about.

Most people ask me "Are you a tech junkie?" and I laugh and nod. They then ask me how much I paid for it and when I say 800, they get all quiet. People have a hard time with the idea of dropping 800 for it. I do remind them they can get one for 500..the lowest wifi model...but the price tag bothers alot of people.
People have grown very accustomed to "buy now, pay later!".

Hence the economic crash of 2008.

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
I was on the NY subway the other day and I saw two people with iPads, both in the Apple case. I have also seen other people on the subway with ipads also. A couple of weeks ago I flew to Boston and a couple of people had them on the plane (myself included).

Flagatorfan

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm the only person I know with one. I use the Mantis Bible Software now as my main bible and so I pull it out during the sermon on Sunday mornings and I get looks from everyone around me. No one has asked me any questions about it during a service, but in Sunday School a lot of people ask to see it, but no one else has one.

Nemisportsman

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Never saw one outside of Best Buy.

I have to laugh when I head to our cottage in a rural part of northern Michigan....not only had many of the residents never seen one, they had not even heard of an iPad! It is a bit of a step back in time...my 5th gen iPod video still raises eyebrows.

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I live in the home of iPad - tainted sample

I live in silly cone valley (near Cupertino).

They are not common - but I see one most places I go including grocery stores.

I see a few people reading them on the freeways every day.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I haven't received any subsequent emails telling me people had commented further on this thread. Sorry.

It is surprising how few of us ever see another iPad, other than in stores, of course. I suppose it being a success is not the same tinning as it being common, but wow.

Earlier, someone in the thread mentioned using it at church (which is kind of awesome and ballsy) and that reminded me that people actually DO use it for practical stuff - as in had to remind my co-workers, recently.

It was in a boring-ass, predictably-unnecessary meeting, using the iPad. Later, a couple of different people made independent comments to me that made it clear that they thought I was playing a game or something.

Not at all.

I just didn't see the point of printing out a bunch of pages we would use exactly once, then toss them. Instead, I pulled them up on the iPad and save a tree...ok, maybe a twig or two.

Kinda reminds me of how people assumed the worst about other tech items I adopted early - like Bluetooth earpieces. Now they're commonplace.

I wonder if I'll say the same thing about the iPad, or maybe just tablets in general, in a year or three.

Flagatorfan

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I was the one that mentioned using it in church. I thought my wife would have a problem with it but she hasn't said anything. I changed my screen lock image to this really cool image that looks like the front of an old leather bible that has in big block letters. "HOLY BIBLE" That way, every time I turn on the screen, people looking, immediately have a first impression that I'm using it as a bible. But then i start playing N.O.V.A. and prove them all right... :)

iamfudge

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I have seen one or 2 at my local starbucks in Hawaii. Most people stare when I have mine out and reading at a doctors office or waiting somewhere. People are always asking, "is that, that um new thing?" I have the apple case, but sometimes rock it goes into a gel case.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner