Marware Eco-Vue question

Uproarmedia

Nov 3, 2009
www.uproarmedia.com
Does anybody else know about the apparently problem this case is causing with the 3G iPads? According to one review on their site, it interferes pretty bad with the compass. Can anybody confirm or deny that?

I really like the case, but I'd rather not have to deal with that.

Ron_L

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine since Friday and haven't noticed any issues. Does the iPad really have a compass, or does it use the to determine direction? If it uses the GPS, then a magnet wouldn't have any affect.

Uproarmedia

Nov 3, 2009
www.uproarmedia.com
My understanding is it has a built in digital compass. If it was purely the 3G chip, you would have to be moving for it to guess what direction you are heading, but not be able to tell you what direction you are facing when standing still.

acmdude

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth, this is the info from the Apple iPad page:
Compass reliability may be affected by usage conditions such as nearby magnetic fields.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
oh... heuge interference... but only when its flipped backwards... if its important, it will work when its straight and unfolded, which is completely unusable.. theres magnets in the little stand that keep it flush when not in use...

Uproarmedia

Nov 3, 2009
www.uproarmedia.com
Thanks Libuff!

That really sucks, I like the Eco-Vue but I really don't want that interfering with the device. I'm sure it's far to early to see if it will cause long term damage or anything. I guess I'll have to keep looking.