16, 32 or 64GB?

Mudie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
The question is all in the title but since I don't want to regret the purchase which one should I choose? In other words, which one did you go with, do you regret not going bigger (if you didn't get the 64), and are you happy with the size?

If it matters here's a little background for you to work with.
  • I don't care about 3G (no coverage deep into the countryside where I live) so Wi-Fi is fine.
  • I own an 8 Gig iPod Touch and although I have yet to fill it up I'm aware of the limit and have little choice but to not fill it up.
  • I'm not app crazy but as more iPad specific ones arrive I may tend to go after more simply due to the large screen and increased usefulness compared to the iTouch.
  • I'd like to load up on a fair amount of pictures but even though that answers my own question I'm not so sure that I really need to do so.
  • I can afford all the way to the 64GB but money isn't free and I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

TIA for any and all input! :)

bconley007

May 9, 2010
Visit site
i went with the 32gb wi-fi. i have internet at work and obviously at home so i didnt feel the need for 3g. i felt the 32 gb was a compromise because the 64gb was too expensive and the 16gb was not enough.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I'd advise you go with the 16GB.
It's not an iPod, you won't take it everywhere and even if you didn't you wouldn't use it as an iPod, so you won't need your entire media collection on it everywhere you go.

Unless you plan on loading a bunch of HD movies onto it (which gets old fast, I deleted all the movies from my iPhone for taking too much space because I had no desire to watch them after the first viewing), then the 16GB should be fine.

vaytan

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I will use it for light duty use so a 16gb should be sufficient for my needs. I won't be putting music on it , maybe a movie or 2. But over all not a primary use item.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I was going to go with the 16GB but I knew I would regret it in the long run. I ended up buying the 32GB because I know thats fine for what I need it for. The 64GB would have been nice but I really don't even see myself filling up the 32GB but I am glad I did not buy the 16GB.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
16 was too small for me, so I chose 32. Been happy with that. I have a ton of video podcasts on there right now, still to be listened to, and I'm at 20ish. 16 will fill up way too quickly...go with at least a 32.

Nemisportsman

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I got 32 wish I would have got 64. Music is on my iPod. Few movies and a bunch of podcasts gets me into the 20's..... All transient stuff but I still wish I had more space.....

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I got the 16GB 3G. I have a 16GB iPhone and it's only half full. Since I'll be putting the same stuff on the iPad there's no point to go much larger. The apps will not take up so much space that you would need to go bigger. I got the 3G just because I like to have the choice I don't have to use the 3G but if I ever did want to use it I have it. I also thought about selling it when the 2nd gen comes out and I'm thinking people are going to want to lowball and the low end is the fastest to buy so my 16GB will be easier to sell when I'm ready or atleast that's my logic.

iMario

May 10, 2010
www.make-coffee.net
I think that simply if you can afford the 64 gb and you will not buy it, you will regret sooner or later, since the iPad is closer to a computer than the iPhone is, and it will be more easily full of stuff (first of all iPad's apps are bigger than iPhone ones).

Last edited:

DaveKay

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Went with 32 with 3g, my iPods and iPhones arent even close to full but 16 seems too small and 64 too large. My macbook is only using 60gb

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
If money is not a huge issue, then more memory the better. I splurged and spent the extra $200 to have the 64GB iPad and am now glad I did since I'm noting that, as expected, iPad apps are quite a bit larger than iPhone apps and you may be surprised at how quickly you fill up the space.

Mudie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I splurged and spent the extra $200 to have the 64GB iPad and am now glad I did since I'm noting that, as expected, iPad apps are quite a bit larger than iPhone apps and you may be surprised at how quickly you fill up the space.
I was wondering about that very thing while I was trying one out in BestBuy on Monday and was surprised to find only about 4 Gig available! They had the floor models loaded up with a sampling of apps (some iPad specific, some iPhone) but aside from that and some pictures the memory was fairly well used up so 16 is clearly off of the table.

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on the thread, I'm now on the fence between 32 and 64 but I expect it will ultimately be 64. Besides, that first 16 'extra' may be $100 but they double it up for the next $100 which is an incentive - just like they wanted it to be.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I think I am going to get the 64gig unit. My only question is WiFi only or with 3G?

KC

I went through the same dilemma -- Wi-Fi only or 3G? I wrote about this very thing here. I ended up sticking with my original decision and got the 3G. I figure the 3G is like insurance -- if I need it, I have it. :)

Mudie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I am going to get the 64gig unit. My only question is WiFi only or with 3G?

KC
I'm going with Wi-Fi as I have little choice.

AT&T doesn't have service anywhere near me - despite their ads on TV - while Verizon does and as such I have a "Mi-Fi" from Verizon for mobile broadband that will not only allow me to access the web with the iPad but also with my iPod touch, the laptop, the Blackberry, etc. I couldn't post a link but just hop over to the Verizon site and look for 'Mobile Broadband', you'll find it soon enough. Sprint has it as well and others may too. I love my Mi-Fi and get to surf at 1.5 meg or better on average with almost no latency.

It's worth mentioning that I pay around $55 for 5 Gig/month but while the $25/month extra (over the AT&T $29.99 plan) adds up I have little choice without AT&T around. The consolation prize is that I can use it for many devices and not just one. ;)

AAFD

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm going with Wi-Fi as I have little choice.

AT&T doesn't have service anywhere near me - despite their ads on TV - while Verizon does and as such I have a "Mi-Fi" from Verizon for mobile broadband that will not only allow me to access the web with the iPad but also with my iPod touch, the laptop, the Blackberry, etc. I couldn't post a link but just hop over to the Verizon site and look for 'Mobile Broadband', you'll find it soon enough. Sprint has it as well and others may too. I love my Mi-Fi and get to surf at 1.5 meg or better on average with almost no latency.

It's worth mentioning that I pay around $55 for 5 Gig/month but while the $25/month extra (over the AT&T $29.99 plan) adds up I have little choice without AT&T around. The consolation prize is that I can use it for many devices and not just one. ;)

I also have MIFI card from Verizon. I am using it now. The issue is my wife also like to take her netbook around. We don't work together so I was thinking of drop my MiFi down to 250Gig/month and getting the 3G at 250 gig/month which would be cheaper than the Verizon MiFi 5gig plan. At home we don't have ATT 3G but we do have it were we work, its very fast. Much faster then Verizon 3G.

KC

KC