AT&T and their 29.99 monthly fee are blocking Skype Calls and limiting bandwidth for video. In fact the ABC app doesn't work on 3G. They better do something about this as people will not stand for it.

YouTube Video Link:
    05-04-2010 09:45 AM
    FACT: ABC allows 3G streaming. Double check your resources.

FACT: Lower quality streaming has been around for awhile on AT&T on the iPhone.

I don't use skype, so I don't care about that program. People have stood for lower streaming for sometime now and the sales of iWhatever mobile devices hasn't suffered, only increased. If you are wanting to watch Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (extended version) over 3G and expect tip top bandwidth quality, good luck.
    05-04-2010 10:46 AM
    FACT: ABC allows 3G streaming. Double check your resources.

I don't use skype, so I don't care about that program. People have stood for lower streaming for sometime now and the sales of iWhatever mobile devices hasn't suffered, only increased. If you are wanting to watch Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (extended version) over 3G and expect tip top bandwidth quality, good luck.
    The ABC app says to use a wifi network to stream the content because cellular networks are not supported, at this time. I would take a screenshot if it were possible (or if knew how to), but the source, in my case, is my own eyes.

What is your source?
    05-04-2010 11:07 AM
    Fact: the ipad is marketed as a netbook replacement or substitute. '

Fact: AT&T 3G has enough speed to do video streaming in 720p. Its faster than many dsl connections that can provide it.

What's limited on the iphone should have nothing to do with the ipad.
    05-04-2010 11:09 AM
    The ABC app says to use a wifi network to stream the content because cellular networks are not supported, at this time. I would take a screenshot if it were possible (or if knew how to), but the source, in my case, is my own eyes.

What is your source?
    ABC submitted an update. Maybe its available now.
    05-04-2010 11:10 AM
    What's limited on the iphone should have nothing to do with the ipad.

Why not? They both connect to the same exact 3G network, both use the same exact iPhone OS core and both support the same exact 7.2 HSDPA speeds. Why give preference to one and not the other?
    05-04-2010 11:19 AM

What is your source?
    Oh I don't know, perhaps the iTunes store itself:

As far as your screenshot issue, I wonder if the same process works on an iPad as on an iPhone. Press the lock and home button at the same time and see if the screen flashes and makes a sound, if so, that's how to do a screenshot. Let us know if that doesn't work.
    05-04-2010 11:25 AM
    Oh I don't know, perhaps the iTunes store itself:
    Tone aside...

The iPad I am using still said that cellular networks were not supported. Hen I saw the helpful post from cardfan and checked the App Store. It showed no updates. I then went to the ABC app and it showed no updates. I exited the app to post here and say that there was no update on my end, when I noticed a "3" on the App Store icon, indicating available updates.

The ABC update was available, I installed it, launched the app and found that I could now do what I could not do before - stream ABC content via 3G.

As far as your screenshot issue, I wonder if the same process works on an iPad as on an iPhone. Press the lock and home button at the same time and see if the screen flashes and makes a sound, if so, that's how to do a screenshot. Let us know if that doesn't work.
    I don't know what the lock button is. I tried the orientation lock button just in case and I tried the unlock screen button/icon, respectively combined with the home button, of course, but I had no luck.

What am I missing?
    Last edited by west3man; 05-04-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    05-04-2010 11:49 AM
    Hmm, I went upstairs to a co-worker's 3G iPad and tried my method and it worked. It didn't make sound for whatever reason, but the screen did flash. Try what this link says:

How to take a screenshot of your iPad – Simple Help
    05-04-2010 12:04 PM
    Hmm, I went upstairs to a co-worker's 3G iPad and tried my method and it worked. It didn't make sound for whatever reason, but the screen did flash. Try what this link says:

How to take a screenshot of your iPad Simple Help
    That worked. Thanks.

They used the home button and the *power* button, though. Thanks, again.
    05-04-2010 12:38 PM
    Abc released their Update. It now works on 3g
    05-04-2010 02:15 PM
    We know, now. Cardfan was kind enough to tell us earlier, in the thread and I was able to confirm it, after some strange difficulty, initially.
    05-04-2010 02:29 PM
    I guess I wasn't kind enough since I mentioned it first in my own way.
    05-04-2010 03:28 PM
    I guess I wasn't kind enough since I mentioned it first in my own way.
    I saw no reference to nor acknowledgement of the fact that there was a limitation that had been resolved via an update. But yeah, I did see some meanness.
    05-04-2010 03:32 PM
    .....People have stood for lower streaming for sometime now and the sales of iWhatever mobile devices hasn't suffered, only increased. If you are wanting to watch Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (extended version) over 3G and expect tip top bandwidth quality, good luck.
    Right, and you know what, the fact that it is this way is total BS. On the iPhone over 3G, youtube videos look absolutely horrendous and unacceptable to my standards. You can't make out small objects in your videos with the resolution being so low. This is why we jailbreak, people. And no matter what we're getting in 4.0 OS, we'll always get short changed in small little details like this.

There is nothing that a little jailbreak app called 3G unrestrictor can't fix =-) In this particular case, it Tricks the iphone into thinking it's in wifi mode when it's really using 3G thus enabling high resolution videos in youtube. Works for downloading big files, skype, etc etc.
    05-05-2010 09:14 AM
    And you wonder why AT&T's network is under strain when people like you JB and download big files as you call it. You're paying good money for service, but it's not ok for AT&T to do some network management to distribute their bandwidth accordingly? I will be very glad when other carriers take the iPhone and people leave AT&T. It clears up the airwaves for those who stay. You also are probably the person who gets on the high occupancy lane by yourself to cheat the system, provided wherever you're at has those.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 05-05-2010 at 09:32 AM.
    05-05-2010 09:27 AM
    And you wonder why AT&T's network is under strain when people like you JB and download big files as you call it. You're paying good money for service, but it's not ok for AT&T to do some network management to distribute their bandwidth accordingly? I will be very glad when other carriers take the iPhone and people leave AT&T. It clears up the airwaves for those who stay. You also are probably the person who gets on the high occupancy lane by yourself to cheat the system, provided wherever you're at has those.
    It's a fair point you make, except when it comes to the unreasonable service bits that, according to the poster, result bandwidth management efforts. Watching a YouTube video, but not being able to tell what you are looking at is not acceptable. If one is locked in a contract and has invested in hardware, it is hard to blame that person for taking steps to make the servic more like what it should be.

I think it is completely fair and reasonable to define "should be" by things like clear video streaming and being able to download iTunes files despite having paid for an unlimited internet connection on one's media consumption device.
    05-05-2010 10:38 AM
    Hopefully as AT&T upgrades, they will allow higher quality streaming. I think they are being overly cautious.
    05-15-2010 05:55 PM
    Speaking of streaming, my Netflix app is really bizzare. I usually use it when I am at work. I prop up the iPad on my desk and turn on movies or TV shows to keep me company while I work. On some days, the movies play fine. Other days...it is worse than watching a film strip and the movies are simply unwatchable.

I read somewhere that the Netflix app makes the streaming worse, depending on the traffic at the time on the 3G network. This is supposedly why the ABC app didn't work on 3G at first, because they didn't put in the ability for AT&T to adjust the streaming to reduce load on the network.

But man, they need to come up with another way to stream them. Perhaps load a longer buffer or something because, at times, the movie/tv apps are not even watchable. It gets stuck on the same screen for 4-5 minutes. By that time, you're so mad you've forgotten what's going on in the show. Hah.
    05-16-2010 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD