When i had purchased my Ipad at Best Buy they offered the zagg shield but i have this odd theory that anything liquid and electronics are not to be in a 5 mile radius of one another. So i am on a quest for a screen protector and saw an anti glare one from BoxWave. Anyone have any recommendations?
    05-03-2010 04:17 PM
    Saran wrap.

All joking aside. I use nothing but Zagg shields on my cell phones and such and have never had anything resembling a problem with the application fluid.

When you are installing it you only put a thin layer of fluid on the screen.
    05-03-2010 04:31 PM
    still i am very wary regardless of the amount liquid.
    05-03-2010 04:38 PM
    I'm not planning to use one on the iPad, but if I did it would be this one:

http://www.powersupportusa.com/produ...d-crystal-film

I used them on the iPhone 2G and 3G and it was great. Zagg is good for protecting the back but it's way too rubbery for the screen, your finger won't glide like on the glass. It also has a nasty orange peel effect which is terrible to look through.
    05-03-2010 05:34 PM

iPad Crystal Film - iPad Accessories - Power Support USA
    This is what I have on my ipad and it works great. After a weekend of playing with our ipads, mine looks pretty good and the wife's ipad is just covered with fingerprints.

She wound up ordering the crystal film this morning....
    05-03-2010 08:17 PM

iPad Crystal Film - iPad Accessories - Power Support USA

I used them on the iPhone 2G and 3G and it was great. Zagg is good for protecting the back but it's way too rubbery for the screen, your finger won't glide like on the glass. It also has a nasty orange peel effect which is terrible to look through.
    This is what I have on my ipad and it works great. After a weekend of playing with our ipads, mine looks pretty good and the wife's ipad is just covered with fingerprints.

She wound up ordering the crystal film this morning....
    Is this one anti-glare as well? I didn't see any mention on their website.
    05-05-2010 12:21 PM
    I've had good luck with the Power Support anti-glare film for my iPhone, but it was a whole different story trying to apply it to my iPad. See here.

The Zagg product does have a slight orange-peel type of effect. I have one on my iPad now. I don't notice it when my iPad is turned on, so it's not that bad. I would just go naked but for the smudges and fingerprints.

I've heard good things about Clear-Coat -- here's a of their installation process. Very thorough.
    05-05-2010 02:38 PM
    Apple is reportedly removing iPhone, iPod, and MacBook screen protectors from its online and retail stores, just a couple of weeks before the iPad hits the stand. Apple has yet to reveal the reason it is pulling protective products from its shelves. A popular speculation is that Apple wants to promote the idea that its product's screens are sturdy enough that they don't need to be protected.
    05-07-2010 03:16 AM
    I use the Apple case to protect the entire device.

For direct contact, I prefer to use a naked device, as JOBS intended.
    05-07-2010 07:39 AM
    After seeing a few YouTube videos on how sturdy the screen is, I'm convinced I don't need a screen protector. I have my Apple case and the screen is REALLY scratch proof, why do we still need a screen protector?
    05-07-2010 10:47 AM
    After seeing a few YouTube videos on how sturdy the screen is, I'm convinced I don't need a screen protector. I have my Apple case and the screen is REALLY scratch proof, why do we still need a screen protector?
    Bingo. Get as close as you can to an all in one solution and then save the rest of your money.
    05-07-2010 11:08 AM
    so your ipad is running naked? You don't have the black Apple case? if not, I would highly recommend it. Looks good, tilts your ipad and makes it stand on it's own, protects it really well.
    05-07-2010 11:15 AM
    so your ipad is running naked? You don't have the black Apple case? if not, I would highly recommend it. Looks good, tilts your ipad and makes it stand on it's own, protects it really well.
    It is as naked as possible...except for being completely covered by the Apple case.

Heh. I use it as a naked device (he said, choosing his words very carefully) whenever possible.

That is a lie the more I think about it. I DO use it uncovered at times, but I usually need the case to keep it at an angle for typing, propping it up, and keeping it from the eyes of thieving bastards.
    05-07-2010 11:26 AM
    According to Apple screen protectors are no longer necessary due to their new screen coating.
    05-07-2010 01:48 PM
    My reasoning behind is not protection from scratches, rather to stop the finger prints. Hard to clearly see the black portions when there are as many finger prints on my screen as there currently is...
    05-07-2010 02:46 PM
    My reasoning behind is not protection from scratches, rather to stop the finger prints. Hard to clearly see the black portions when there are as many finger prints on my screen as there currently is...
    Wow. More power to you. I just wipe the thing once a day or so.

How much does that screen protector set you back?
    05-07-2010 02:54 PM
    Just out of curiosity, for the people with the Invisible Shields, do they affect how well you can use the touchscreen? I know they don't actually impede the technology, but what I mean is, do your fingers "glide" as easily on the screen, or does the texture make it more difficult to perform certain gestures?
    05-07-2010 04:04 PM
    Just out of curiosity, for the people with the Invisible Shields, do they affect how well you can use the touchscreen? I know they don't actually impede the technology, but what I mean is, do your fingers "glide" as easily on the screen, or does the texture make it more difficult to perform certain gestures?
    I am currently using the InvisibleShield and I hardly notice a difference between swiping on it now and swiping on it when it was naked (heh). I mainly use a screen protector to minimize fingerprints and smudges since the naked screen seems to still attract more than when it's covered.
    05-10-2010 06:41 PM
    Hmm, that's good to know. I've seen impressions of it that range from "can't tell a difference" to "it makes the touchscreen unusable", so it's hard for me to get a good read on what the real effect is. Guess I'll just have to get one myself and try it out. I really am getting tired of the smudges and having to be super careful not to scratch the aluminum finish on the back.
    05-11-2010 09:59 AM
    3gs without screen protector, no scratches
    3g without screen protector, no scratches
    Only difference is fingerprints and cleaning them off
    When my iPad arrives I will probably do without as well since the screen is the same material as my 3gs
    05-11-2010 06:13 PM
    Just got the XGear Anti-Glare screen protector today from the tipb store. Went on pretty easy and looks amazing!!!!!!!! it not only ends finger prints and smudges, and also kill the overhead reflection from lights. Can be removed easily with a piece of scotch tape if you need to, not nearly as permanent at ZAGG Invisible shield. I would definitely recommend!!!!!
    05-12-2010 02:24 PM
    Naked on the iPad
    05-12-2010 03:27 PM
    Just got the XGear Anti-Glare screen protector today from the tipb store. Went on pretty easy and looks amazing!!!!!!!! it not only ends finger prints and smudges, and also kill the overhead reflection from lights. Can be removed easily with a piece of scotch tape if you need to, not nearly as permanent at ZAGG Invisible shield. I would definitely recommend!!!!!
    What did you use to clean your screen before applying the screen protector?
    05-12-2010 08:23 PM
    What did you use to clean your screen before applying the screen protector?
    Used eyeglass cleaner and a lens cloth. Then before applying the screen protector made sure my hands were clean and oil free and used canned air to blow off the screen and my hands too.
    05-13-2010 09:16 AM
    Having a clean room is also recommended. But canned air, like kbreslaw suggested, is a good idea.
    05-13-2010 12:23 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD