What do YOU use for a screen protector?

kbreslaw

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Just got the XGear Anti-Glare screen protector today from the tipb store. Went on pretty easy and looks amazing!!!!!!!! it not only ends finger prints and smudges, and also kill the overhead reflection from lights. Can be removed easily with a piece of scotch tape if you need to, not nearly as permanent at ZAGG Invisible shield. I would definitely recommend!!!!!

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Just got the XGear Anti-Glare screen protector today from the tipb store. Went on pretty easy and looks amazing!!!!!!!! it not only ends finger prints and smudges, and also kill the overhead reflection from lights. Can be removed easily with a piece of scotch tape if you need to, not nearly as permanent at ZAGG Invisible shield. I would definitely recommend!!!!!

What did you use to clean your screen before applying the screen protector?

kbreslaw

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
What did you use to clean your screen before applying the screen protector?

Used eyeglass cleaner and a lens cloth. Then before applying the screen protector made sure my hands were clean and oil free and used canned air to blow off the screen and my hands too.

kbreslaw

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions!

Anyone know if an Apple store will install one?

They won't even recommend one since they don't sell them.

It's not rocket-science! It took me about five minutes to apply both mine and my wife's without any dust, lint or bubbles under the film. It's much more forgiving that the Zagg or other films that require you to spray the film before installing. Worst case scenario is that you screw up and have to use a piece of scotch tape to lift it back off.

Just take your time, and peel away the adhesive side as you apply. Don't peel it all off at once, then it'll be close to impossible to keep from getting finger prints under the film.

jacksonian

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Apple Store will NOT install. Humid room sounds like a great idea... except I live in a dry climate! :D
An employee at my local Apple store said she had installed several of them. I have done it myself on my iPhone several times, but I've also managed to botch a few of them. So I imagine that it varies. Probably wouldn't hurt if you bought the iClear pack so that they get something out of it (and you get a nice cleaning cloth and solution).

I haven't attempted it yet on the iPad, but I imagine it *could* go horribly wrong. My experience has been all or none, either it goes smooth like butter, or it's a cluster screw and I have to trash it. Not much in between for me.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Well...tried it myself, but since I don't live in a dust free environment, it looks horrible. Ugh...wish I was better at this kind of thing...

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Well...tried it myself, but since I don't live in a dust free environment, it looks horrible. Ugh...wish I was better at this kind of thing...

I feel your pain. What might help... I can't stress "might" enough... is something I did after a botched installation. I took a clean casserole dish and poured a tray of distilled water. I took the misapplied screen protector and dipped it in the tray, also using alcohol wipes (from a pharmacy) to wipe off the tacky side as best I could. Using bottled air to do my best to both keep my screen dust-free and the tacky side of the screen protector free from dust, I reapplied and used a credit card and towel to both press the bubbles/water to the edges of the screen and wipe away the water as it appeared. Hope this helps!

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I feel your pain. What might help... I can't stress "might" enough... is something I did after a botched installation. I took a clean casserole dish and poured a tray of distilled water. I took the misapplied screen protector and dipped it in the tray, also using alcohol wipes (from a pharmacy) to wipe off the tacky side as best I could. Using bottled air to do my best to both keep my screen dust-free and the tacky side of the screen protector free from dust, I reapplied and used a credit card and towel to both press the bubbles/water to the edges of the screen and wipe away the water as it appeared. Hope this helps!

I have an amazing amount of dust and hair on the tacky side. I'm going to give this a try, but my problem is I have no bottle of bottled / compressed air. My guess is it would have helped greatly. Oh well...

What grinds my gears is that the protector I ordered only came with 1 protector in it. The one I purchased for my iPhone had 2. At least I knew if I messed up (which I did BTW) then I have an insurance one...which was installed at an Apple Store.

jacksonian

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree, they should include 2 like they do for the iPhone. A can of compressed air from Office Depot is an essential for this kind of thing as any cloth leaves some trace dust or fibers that blow it. I'm hesitant to spend the $25 knowing I might botch it. I NEVER enjoy the thought of changing mine on the iPhone, especially since I'm a perfectionist, so any speck of dust under there drives me insane.

Geiger#IM

May 14, 2010
Visit site
John Chow did a great YouTube video for InvisiShield and the iPad. The device is sealed up pretty well so you'd nearly have to immerse it in a bucket of water to have it take water damage.

Ftspyder

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I just order a set of 3 screen protectors from amazon for 5 bucks and they seem to be getting great reviews. Once I get them I'll post up more info about them.

DarkDragoon#IM

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't bother with screen protectors... been running the 3GS since getting it naked, and not a single scratch or slight scratch or "can only see in the right light" scratch... good as the day I got it... so the iPad will go naked as well... I'm not worried about it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73