Thanks for the suggestions!

Anyone know if an Apple store will install one?
    05-13-2010 03:32 PM
    Installing in a humid room also works, as it keeps the dust from being airborne.
    05-13-2010 03:38 PM

Apple Store will NOT install. Humid room sounds like a great idea... except I live in a dry climate!
    05-13-2010 04:37 PM

They won't even recommend one since they don't sell them.

It's not rocket-science! It took me about five minutes to apply both mine and my wife's without any dust, lint or bubbles under the film. It's much more forgiving that the Zagg or other films that require you to spray the film before installing. Worst case scenario is that you screw up and have to use a piece of scotch tape to lift it back off.

Just take your time, and peel away the adhesive side as you apply. Don't peel it all off at once, then it'll be close to impossible to keep from getting finger prints under the film.
    05-13-2010 04:43 PM
    Saran wrap
    05-13-2010 05:31 PM
    Bought the iLuv anti-glare version and I was happy to find out that it was two in a pack. J&R had them on sale for about $12.
    05-14-2010 07:11 AM
    Apple Store will NOT install. Humid room sounds like a great idea... except I live in a dry climate!
    An employee at my local Apple store said she had installed several of them. I have done it myself on my iPhone several times, but I've also managed to botch a few of them. So I imagine that it varies. Probably wouldn't hurt if you bought the iClear pack so that they get something out of it (and you get a nice cleaning cloth and solution).

I haven't attempted it yet on the iPad, but I imagine it *could* go horribly wrong. My experience has been all or none, either it goes smooth like butter, or it's a cluster screw and I have to trash it. Not much in between for me.
    05-14-2010 09:58 AM
    Well...tried it myself, but since I don't live in a dust free environment, it looks horrible. Ugh...wish I was better at this kind of thing...
    05-14-2010 11:12 AM
    Well...tried it myself, but since I don't live in a dust free environment, it looks horrible. Ugh...wish I was better at this kind of thing...
    I feel your pain. What might help... I can't stress "might" enough... is something I did after a botched installation. I took a clean casserole dish and poured a tray of distilled water. I took the misapplied screen protector and dipped it in the tray, also using alcohol wipes (from a pharmacy) to wipe off the tacky side as best I could. Using bottled air to do my best to both keep my screen dust-free and the tacky side of the screen protector free from dust, I reapplied and used a credit card and towel to both press the bubbles/water to the edges of the screen and wipe away the water as it appeared. Hope this helps!
    05-14-2010 11:20 AM
    I feel your pain. What might help... I can't stress "might" enough... is something I did after a botched installation. I took a clean casserole dish and poured a tray of distilled water. I took the misapplied screen protector and dipped it in the tray, also using alcohol wipes (from a pharmacy) to wipe off the tacky side as best I could. Using bottled air to do my best to both keep my screen dust-free and the tacky side of the screen protector free from dust, I reapplied and used a credit card and towel to both press the bubbles/water to the edges of the screen and wipe away the water as it appeared. Hope this helps!
    I have an amazing amount of dust and hair on the tacky side. I'm going to give this a try, but my problem is I have no bottle of bottled / compressed air. My guess is it would have helped greatly. Oh well...

What grinds my gears is that the protector I ordered only came with 1 protector in it. The one I purchased for my iPhone had 2. At least I knew if I messed up (which I did BTW) then I have an insurance one...which was installed at an Apple Store.
    05-14-2010 11:26 AM
    I agree, they should include 2 like they do for the iPhone. A can of compressed air from Office Depot is an essential for this kind of thing as any cloth leaves some trace dust or fibers that blow it. I'm hesitant to spend the $25 knowing I might botch it. I NEVER enjoy the thought of changing mine on the iPhone, especially since I'm a perfectionist, so any speck of dust under there drives me insane.
    05-14-2010 01:07 PM
    John Chow did a great YouTube video for InvisiShield and the iPad. The device is sealed up pretty well so you'd nearly have to immerse it in a bucket of water to have it take water damage.
    05-14-2010 04:13 PM
    Using the case is the best option but while using I think we should use the screen protector...
    05-15-2010 03:22 AM
    I just order a set of 3 screen protectors from amazon for 5 bucks and they seem to be getting great reviews. Once I get them I'll post up more info about them.
    05-16-2010 05:47 PM
    I don't bother with screen protectors... been running the 3GS since getting it naked, and not a single scratch or slight scratch or "can only see in the right light" scratch... good as the day I got it... so the iPad will go naked as well... I'm not worried about it
    05-18-2010 03:54 AM
    I have an amazing amount of dust and hair on the tacky side. I'm going to give this a try, but my problem is I have no bottle of bottled / compressed air. My guess is it would have helped greatly. Oh well...

What grinds my gears is that the protector I ordered only came with 1 protector in it. The one I purchased for my iPhone had 2. At least I knew if I messed up (which I did BTW) then I have an insurance one...which was installed at an Apple Store.
    So how did things end up working out for ya?
    05-18-2010 06:12 PM
    i'm running my ipad naked so far...up in the air about using a protector...is the glass used on ipad like Gorilla Glass? or just finger print resistant?
    05-19-2010 01:23 AM
    i'm running my ipad naked so far...up in the air about using a protector...is the glass used on ipad like Gorilla Glass? or just finger print resistant?
    I cannot speak to the former, but I gotta tell ya that I highly doubt the latter. MAD fingerprints, son!
    05-19-2010 07:07 AM
    I cannot speak to the former, but I gotta tell ya that I highly doubt the latter. MAD fingerprints, son!
    thats really the only con i have encountered so far with the iPad. (but this is an issue with all touch screen devices)
    05-19-2010 07:09 AM
    So how did things end up working out for ya?
    Totally messed it up. Reordered another one!
    05-19-2010 08:42 PM
    I use a bodyguardz full body shield. Just wanted to share this because I am very happy with it. When I first installed it there was a lot of bubbles and streaks that didn't go away after two days. Bodyguardz only sends one set so I was upset at having spent thirty dollars only to screw up the install.

I decided that I would attempt to remove the screen shield and reinstall. I'm happy to say that the screen peeled off very clean. So what I did is dip the whole shield in a bowl mixed with filtered water and a little bit of dish washing fluid. The soap lets you slide the shield around until its in place. So I reapplied the shield and now it looks nearly immaculate. I'm thrilled that the shield is versatile enough to be able to remove after being installed for two whole days.

I know people debate whether shields are necessary at all. In my opinion the added security is worth it, especially since you don't ruin the look of the device at all.

Hope this helps others in making a decision.
    05-19-2010 09:46 PM
    My brother tried the Incipio screen protector to no success. The bubbles would not just go away. Installing a screen protector on an iPad requires a lot of patience.
    05-20-2010 03:05 AM
    I am using the zagg invisible shield. I bought it at best buy and they installed it on the screen for me for 7 or 8 bucks. It looks really nice and I didn't have to put it on. So it was worth it. I have never been a fan of zagg because of price but I decided Togo with it since that's all best buy had. So far I am happy.
    05-20-2010 04:20 AM
    I a little confused, which one gives the best protection?
    05-20-2010 09:56 AM
    I a little confused, which one gives the best protection?
    As in which screen protector? As far as I know there are two kinds - screen protectors and full body shields.

Companies like zagg and bodyguardz make full body shields that cover most of the surface of the iPad, front back everything. IMO this is the best protection without adding a case.

Or you can buy screen protectors only and get a case to protect the rest of the device.

Ilounge has a nice quick look and review on many different options
    05-20-2010 10:57 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD