Taking your iPad out in public?

DarkDragoon#IM

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Sitting in an IHOP now having breakfast. I get some stares anywhere I go with it, and a few inquiries, but most around here simply don't know what it is. Most reactions I get are like I come from the future.

I don't worry about having it out though. I don't think too many would try to take it from me (being 270lbs with a shaved head helps). It still never leaves my sight though, and being able to slide it into a sleeve and tuck it up under your arm helps when you don't wanna leave it unattended.

And yes, the chicks seems to be more curious than anyone else, which is great for conversation starters :D. It's like my little wing man.

Ron_L

May 9, 2010
Visit site
My iPad is going out in the wild for the first time today. We've been having little pep talks for the past few days :D I travel every other week for business and this is my first trip since getting the iPad. I have it in my Marware Eco-Vue case and it will ride in my laptop bag next to my MBA (I still have to carry the Air for a couple of business apps that don't run on the iPad (yet :) ). I'm curious about the reaction at the airport and on the plane. When I get to the other end I know there will be two other iPads in the same meeting since to coworkers bought theirs at the same time as me. That should be interesting. Three iPads in the same training sessions :rolleyes:

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine goes wherre I do - if they want it they can have it and i'll keep my fingers

Its just another toy. If I hide it and with it then what fun is it (unless that IS the fun).

I take mine where I go and use it when I'm not busy (well i'm not rude about it ...).

If someone wants to steal it I wont risk a cramp to keep it. it's just a possession. health is a lot more important. I have had my 3G version since I got the pre-sales mailing of 3Gs. I have yet to find a real value for it above my google phone beside the novelty and screen size.

My granddaughter has the WiFi version and, with the silicone cover it is great for a 2 y/o to teeth on (for real! - she loves to gnaw on it and it looks like what the big people carry so it is really extra special).

By son sent me a video of this. I wasn't able to see it on my ipad... it wasn't in the limited formats supported.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I've been using my iPad in a conference this week. It's been exceptionally handy for surfing the net, checking email, blogging, etc., without being too conspicuous. It's easy to sit at a conference and use the iPad when a laptop with its clamshell design would be more obvious.

chemsales

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I took my iPad to Jamaica the day after the 3G version came out (it was a business trip). I did not take it out with me to make calls. On the last day I took it out of my bag at a coffee shop in Montego Bay. Some nearby people wondered what I was tapping on! I used both 3G (via Digicel roaming) and wifi. I prepurchased a data package in advance.

I was able to cut down on my laptop use as I mainly check email and log in to my office computer to make minor file changes or file forwarding. I am slowly getting used to logmein.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I took my iPad to Jamaica the day after the 3G version came out (it was a business trip). I did not take it out with me to make calls. On the last day I took it out of my bag at a coffee shop in Montego Bay. Some nearby people wondered what I was tapping on! I used both 3G (via Digicel roaming) and wifi. I prepurchased a data package in advance.

I was able to cut down on my laptop use as I mainly check email and log in to my office computer to make minor file changes or file forwarding. I am slowly getting used to logmein.
LogMeIn rocks!

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
LogMeIn rocks!

I bit the bullet and bought that very expensive app (the most expensive one on have bought for the iPad) largely due to what you fine folks have said about it - plus I have used the free version on my and my non-techie family members' pc's.

Gotta say, if nothing else, I really like that I can play games like Yahoo Dominoes on my iPad, now, since the iPhone os domino games suck arse.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Kinda off topic, but you guys are talking about LogMeIn. I've been using the free version of LogMeIn for quite a while now. It works great on my iPhone and iPad as well as other computers. My question is will the Pro version allow sound to the iPad from the host computer? I know it will if you use LogMeIn on PC to connect to another PC, but haven't heard anyone say about LogMeIn on iPad or iPhone. If so, it would be great so I can also attend some of our webinar type meetings via iPad.

Thanks,

potroast

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I brought mine into an ER once while we were bringing in a patient. The nurses & doctors seemed more interested in the iPad than the patient. Heh.

Doctors *LOVE* the iPad. L O V E.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I brought mine into an ER once while we were bringing in a patient. The nurses & doctors seemed more interested in the iPad than the patient. Heh.

Doctors *LOVE* the iPad. L O V E.

As someones who's wife is a doctor, they do indeed love it. She really think's they'll replace "charts" one day. My wife is a doc at UCLA, I could see it happening.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
As someones who's wife is a doctor, they do indeed love it. She really think's they'll replace "charts" one day. My wife is a doc at UCLA, I could see it happening.
She should check out Evernote and one of the several document scanners for the iPhone.

The docs have to get over their irrational preference for paper. My Google Health record is superior to, if not as specialized as, any chart that any of my providers or insurers have. None of them are equipped to exploit it. Only pharmacies are able to update it. Not only are the paper records inefficient, their use is highly error prone.

I think that you must have touched a sore place.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Was watching Sling at breakfast the Deli this am. Was doing a demo for two high school seniors sharing my table. Drew a small crowd.

happycamping

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I took my iPad with me on a trip recently. I wasn't at the airport 10 minutes before I was targeted! Sort of funny right after that we started boarding (cut it really close this time) so there wasn't a chance for anyone to ask me about it.

chadman

TiPb Blog and Forum Staff
Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
I take mine anywhere that I am going to be sitting down that has Wi-Fi. Starbucks, our local Nature Center. I can relax, write, whatever. People seem very interested and it starts a lot of conversations.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods