I don't yet have the words to explain why using the device makes such a huge difference but it really seems to. Distinguishing it from an iPod touch would be tough, for me, since I have never owned one, but somehow this thing went from a device I poo-poo'ed to one that I never leave home without. The few times I have left it in my truck, I tend to regret it because I need it for one reason or another - sometimes due to AT&T's apparently superior (to Sprint's) signal penetration in my area.

Size really does seem to matter because surfing the web on my Pre is fine ... until it's not. Having a super-light, larger alternative is highly useful.

Propping it up to stream Netflix or ABC content while we work out in the fitness room is a FANTASTIC motivator. It keeps us in there longer and, as a result, helps us achieve our fitness goals.

The list goes on. And this is just what I tell strangers who ask about the iPad when I take it out in public...when this results in extended conversations, anyway.
    I wrote several paragraphs yesterday trying to explain how dramatically this device has changed my life. When I re-read it, I decided that I owed the "big iPod Touch guys" nothing and discarded the effort. It serves them right that they will not enjoy an iPad.
    05-12-2010 03:53 PM
    I wrote several paragraphs yesterday trying to explain how dramatically this device has changed my life. When I re-read it, I decided that I owed the "big iPod Touch guys" nothing and discarded the effort. It serves them right that they will not enjoy an iPad.
    Agreed. I just enjoy mine and really don't think much of what people think of me for having one.
    05-12-2010 07:14 PM
    Agreed. I just enjoy mine and really don't think much of what people think of me for having one.
    It's a Jeep thing
    05-12-2010 11:55 PM
    A big ipod touch is enjoyable and the best way to describe it. Don't be offended.
    05-13-2010 07:00 AM
    My iPod touch biggie is awesome . Here's how that conversation goes....

Retard: "Its just a big ipod touch"
    Me "No its not"
    Retard "Why not"
    Me "it didn't come with headphones"
    05-13-2010 11:24 AM
    I wonder if those people who say the iPad is "just an iPod Touch" even have an iPod Touch? If so, why do they say "just?" Wouldn't they say "Its a big iPod Touch, awesome?" Are there any iPod Touch owners without just a little iPad envy?
    05-13-2010 12:03 PM
    i probly wont be taking mine out until i get a case for it...i ordered the apple case but it wont get to me until june 11
    05-14-2010 10:01 AM
    I've taken it to the dentist a couple times, the carwash, and a coffee shop. In the Apple case, it's pretty discrete until you start using it. I haven't been particularly worried about theft. But mostly I leave it at home (where I also work)- I have an iPhone that goes everywhere with me, and the iPad doesn't fit in my pocket. So it either requires a hand, or else would have to carry some kind of bag with me.
    05-14-2010 10:18 AM
    Ok, how many of you have ventured outside the house with your 3G or WiFi? Where did you go? And what happened?

I am terrified to bring mine out of the house. I keep thinking about that guy who lost his pinky finger to someone who tried to steal it from him. I keep thinking I have 800.00 in my hands and one little mistake and it will all be ripped away from me.

Ahhhh - anyone else have this problem? Do you get mobbed by people wanting to touch it when you take it out?
    Did they ever catch the pinky bandit?
    05-14-2010 04:18 PM
    Yeah, I remember hearing that they did. I have no idea how though...
    05-14-2010 09:27 PM
    I think his neighbors turned him in or something like that.
    05-14-2010 09:52 PM
    Sounds like an urban legend to me. Anyone check this story on SNOPES?
    05-14-2010 11:03 PM
    Well, the guy losing his pinky is not a legend. I saw him interviewed on NBC Houston News multiple times with his hand all bandaged up. His doctors were interviewed as well. I dont think the guy lives in Houston, but I could be wrong.

As far as catching the guy, it was also on the news briefly. They said something like, "Remember the guy who stole the iPad and the guys pinky finger along with it? Well authorities have located him and he is currently in jail awaiting a hearing...". I remember it was a african american guy, but they did not say how they tracked him down. They just said they caught him, found the iPad, and returned it to its owner.

I know the news doesn't usually fall for urban legends, but hey, its possible. They didn't show his face, or explain how police caught him, or even show the missing pinky guy holding his iPad again.

Oh and on topic - I've gotten much better about taking my ipad out in public. I took it when we went to have wings for dinner the other night...and I got surrounded lol. Everyone at work eyes it too. I don't let it out of my sight...even to go to the restroom...hahah..but I am taking it in public now.
    Last edited by VLennert; 05-15-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    05-15-2010 08:48 AM
    I am sitting in a Starbucks right now having a large (I refuse to use their stupid sizes) and typing this using the free AT&T free wifi... I have already had two very attractive women come up to ask me about it.
    05-15-2010 01:46 PM
    MN... you sir, are a lucky man.

#1, my ONLY local starbucks is in a Target and I'm NOT going to hang out there...
    #2, my local starbucks does not have wifi
    #3, there are no attractive women where I live (except my wife if she's reading)
    #4, see #1,2, and 3 again.
    05-15-2010 09:56 PM
    Sitting in an IHOP now having breakfast. I get some stares anywhere I go with it, and a few inquiries, but most around here simply don't know what it is. Most reactions I get are like I come from the future.

I don't worry about having it out though. I don't think too many would try to take it from me (being 270lbs with a shaved head helps). It still never leaves my sight though, and being able to slide it into a sleeve and tuck it up under your arm helps when you don't wanna leave it unattended.

And yes, the chicks seems to be more curious than anyone else, which is great for conversation starters . It's like my little wing man.
    05-16-2010 08:24 AM
    It's like my little wing man.
    Hehehe. *bites tongue*
    05-16-2010 09:35 AM
    My iPad is going out in the wild for the first time today. We've been having little pep talks for the past few days I travel every other week for business and this is my first trip since getting the iPad. I have it in my Marware Eco-Vue case and it will ride in my laptop bag next to my MBA (I still have to carry the Air for a couple of business apps that don't run on the iPad (yet ). I'm curious about the reaction at the airport and on the plane. When I get to the other end I know there will be two other iPads in the same meeting since to coworkers bought theirs at the same time as me. That should be interesting. Three iPads in the same training sessions
    05-16-2010 11:36 AM
    Everyone asks about it. I love it!
    05-16-2010 02:00 PM
    Its just another toy. If I hide it and with it then what fun is it (unless that IS the fun).

I take mine where I go and use it when I'm not busy (well i'm not rude about it ...).

If someone wants to steal it I wont risk a cramp to keep it. it's just a possession. health is a lot more important. I have had my 3G version since I got the pre-sales mailing of 3Gs. I have yet to find a real value for it above my google phone beside the novelty and screen size.

My granddaughter has the WiFi version and, with the silicone cover it is great for a 2 y/o to teeth on (for real! - she loves to gnaw on it and it looks like what the big people carry so it is really extra special).

By son sent me a video of this. I wasn't able to see it on my ipad... it wasn't in the limited formats supported.
    05-17-2010 08:19 PM
    I've been using my iPad in a conference this week. It's been exceptionally handy for surfing the net, checking email, blogging, etc., without being too conspicuous. It's easy to sit at a conference and use the iPad when a laptop with its clamshell design would be more obvious.
    05-18-2010 06:20 PM
    I took my iPad to Jamaica the day after the 3G version came out (it was a business trip). I did not take it out with me to make calls. On the last day I took it out of my bag at a coffee shop in Montego Bay. Some nearby people wondered what I was tapping on! I used both 3G (via Digicel roaming) and wifi. I prepurchased a data package in advance.

I was able to cut down on my laptop use as I mainly check email and log in to my office computer to make minor file changes or file forwarding. I am slowly getting used to logmein.
    05-18-2010 11:17 PM
    I took my iPad to Jamaica the day after the 3G version came out (it was a business trip). I did not take it out with me to make calls. On the last day I took it out of my bag at a coffee shop in Montego Bay. Some nearby people wondered what I was tapping on! I used both 3G (via Digicel roaming) and wifi. I prepurchased a data package in advance.

I was able to cut down on my laptop use as I mainly check email and log in to my office computer to make minor file changes or file forwarding. I am slowly getting used to logmein.
    LogMeIn rocks!
    05-19-2010 08:11 AM
    LogMeIn rocks!
    I bit the bullet and bought that very expensive app (the most expensive one on have bought for the iPad) largely due to what you fine folks have said about it - plus I have used the free version on my and my non-techie family members' pc's.

Gotta say, if nothing else, I really like that I can play games like Yahoo Dominoes on my iPad, now, since the iPhone os domino games suck arse.
    05-19-2010 08:18 AM
    Kinda off topic, but you guys are talking about LogMeIn. I've been using the free version of LogMeIn for quite a while now. It works great on my iPhone and iPad as well as other computers. My question is will the Pro version allow sound to the iPad from the host computer? I know it will if you use LogMeIn on PC to connect to another PC, but haven't heard anyone say about LogMeIn on iPad or iPhone. If so, it would be great so I can also attend some of our webinar type meetings via iPad.

Thanks,
    05-19-2010 09:29 AM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD