I got a belt clip.
    ...and big pants for a big belt.
    04-23-2010 11:21 AM
    So, for all the people only using a sleeve or case, if you're going to be out for the day you will carry it in your hand/on your arm for hours on end? You won't want a bag of some sort?
    What about something like this? Or the alternatives listed below it?
    Amazon.com: M-51 Engineers Field Bag - Military Style - Olive Drab: Clothing
    04-23-2010 11:42 AM
    That's a bit too much like a man-purse-- excuse me... european shoulder bag-- even if it is "military styled."
    04-23-2010 11:45 AM
    So another question comes to mind, with the guy who lost a finger when buying his iPad and so many carrying it in hand or in a sleeve under your arm aren't you afraid someone will run past you and yank it out of your hand/arm? They should come with a 4,000 volt shock case so when someone grabs it and runs off you can activate it and teach them a small lesson
    I prefer the .40S&W method of property retrieval.
    04-23-2010 11:52 AM
    A good bag for this, to me, would be one that was only big enough to carry the iPad itself, a small folding stand, and maybe enough room for the wireless BT keyboard. That would be all I'd ever need when out and about. If the bag gets too big and bulky, you're kind of defeating the purpose of having an iPad in that situation in the first place (portability). Most laptop bags and backpacks would be too big for this purpose I think.
    04-23-2010 05:10 PM
    I got a belt clip.
    lol that would be sweet!

I use my black incase that i have for my 13" MacBook usually if I need a case.
    04-23-2010 05:14 PM
    I think a good place to check for a bag would be one of the popular outdoors stores, like REI. They have all kinds of bags, large and small, and many are designed to accommodate laptops and other electronics. I may take a look for myself at my local REI, iPad in hand, to see what I can find and how well it fits
    04-23-2010 05:17 PM
    I've gone the sling bag route, using an "old" net book bag I own. It allows me to carry my BT keyboard, charger, and various other things. My father-in-law calls it a gadget bag, my wife calls it a murse. :-/

I've resigned myself to the fact that I have a need to be mobile almost 100% of the time, and being without something I need is not an option. It's small and light, unlike the backpack full of stuff I had when I lugged around my laptop. Plus, if I have a larger bag, I'm more tempted to put other stuff in it, defeating it's minimalist purpose.

"It's not a purse, it's a satchel. Indiana Jones had one."
    04-23-2010 05:25 PM
    Here's the (week old, but amusingly appropriate) answer to that problem: iPad Chain is the newest fashion craze - CNN iReport
    More like iPad bling. It also substitutes as an aid in street fights.
    04-23-2010 09:25 PM
    I got a belt clip.
    Maybe you could wear two this way; like a loin cloth. I can see it now. That guy is either scratching himself or checking his email. This could redefine the meaning of i pad.
    04-23-2010 09:38 PM
    I wonder what girls r gonna do who don't carry a purse some of my friends put there phones in their bra a ipad would look very odd haha
    04-23-2010 10:38 PM

I've resigned myself to the fact that I have a need to be mobile almost 100% of the time, and being without something I need is not an option. It's small and light, unlike the backpack full of stuff I had when I lugged around my laptop. Plus, if I have a larger bag, I'm more tempted to put other stuff in it, defeating it's minimalist purpose.

"It's not a purse, it's a satchel. Indiana Jones had one."
    That's what I'm looking for: small to just fit an iPad, BT keyboard & iPhone.

Let me know what you find.
    04-24-2010 09:52 AM
    I have a number of leather cases, in addition to the Apple case, that I plan to use. I am putting Velcro in all of these. I have a number of lap desks. Putting Velcro on these too.

Found the following in the hardware store yesterday.

7" Clear Acrylic Plate Stand, Folds Completely Flat For Storage, Opens
    SKU: 666503
    Model 32-1202
    UPC 25403212027
    7" Clear Acrylic Plate Stand, Folds Completely Flat For Storage, Opens To 90 Degree Angle, Holds All Plates, Plaques & Pictures Between 6" To 10".
    This item normally ships in 5-8 days
    04-24-2010 10:13 AM
    However I carry it will be an improvement over the 7 pound laptop bag that it will replace. Using Air Share, LogMeIn Ignition, Dropbox, and Evernote, I no longer need to carry a laptop. Hardly do with my iPhone.
    Last edited by whmurray; 04-24-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    04-24-2010 10:16 AM
    Just came across this case/bag and it kind of blew my mind with it's sexiness.

It's really just a case with a removable strap, but for those who want the ultra-minimal bag, this may be the way to go.

The updates page shows how the design has been modified to allow access to buttons and ports.
    04-24-2010 10:36 AM
    Um... One, it's too sloppy. Two, the iPad bags run from $150 to $190. Wow. No thanks. Three, any "manufacturer" that holds a contest and still hasn't dealt with it in a year and a half doesn't get my business (How many zippers? | △Temple Bags). That's just bad form.
    04-24-2010 12:00 PM
    Definitely expensive. Not a price point I'd normally go for, but I'm attracted to the rugged, leather look of it. I stopped short of making the purchase due to the price and that it's not actually a bag. I'd like a little room for additional items.

The Waterfield Muzetto bag has a rugged-leather design and has some room for extras, but it's also expensive.

I'm also not a fan of giant flaps that have to be lifted in order to get to the contents of the bag. I want fast access to my iPad.

The Radtech STM Scout Xsmall looks good, and the price point makes me not mind it's flap so much. The only odd thing is that the two reviews on Amazon say the bag stinks. Literally.
    04-24-2010 12:49 PM
    I've been using this bag for a while now.
    The iPad just happens to fit into the back compartment.
    It's a little tight with the Apple case on but it still fits.
    04-25-2010 12:08 PM
    I've been using this bag for a while now.
    The iPad just happens to fit into the back compartment.
    It's a little tight with the Apple case on but it still fits.
    Handsome. Great value.
    04-25-2010 12:15 PM
    Apple Case of course. Is there any other way?
    04-26-2010 10:36 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD