So I returned my iPad

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
If you saw one of my other posts, you will know that I was debating as to whether to return my 32 gig iPad. The decision was a tough one. On the one hand, I got the item open box and it was in perfect condition--as such, I got a very good deal on it: $499 + tax.

On the other hand, the device was frustrating. My wife and I are Apple fans so I am not one of those Apple haters. We are owners of two iPhone 3gs's and a Macbook. Those products we love. However, the iPad, as much as I wanted to love it, was plain frustrating. The biggest reason why is the lack of flash. I know it is crappy technology and html5 is the future, etc. And I know that more apps are coming (Hulu, etc.). However, to spend $500 + on an Internet browsing device that can't surf the entire Internet is hard to stomach. The inability to browse on hulu, comedy central, and other websites that I like is just plain frustrating. Just last night I wanted to stream a radio station--from the Macbook, this is no problem because of a plug-in. With the iPad, such a task is impossible without some sort of specific app that doesn't exist yet.

Aside from flash, the other big problem with the device is a lack of a USB port (making it harder to hook it up to a camera, etc.--again, I know you can buy cables for this but this should be included).

A third problem I found was the lack of a "kick stand." As the guy at the Apple store pretty much confirmed to me, you have to get a case for the device because of the lack of a kick stand. It is heavy to hold the device up while lying in bed without some sort of "stand" for it. To shell out another $40+ for a quality case is again hard to stomach.

When you start adding up the extra cables, app purchases, a case, and other third-party accessories, the $500+ price tag starts climbing much higher.

Don't get me wrong...the device is very cool and a fun toy. But it isn't a device that you can easily justify needing.

I share this story only to help those who may be on the fence about buying one.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Don't get me wrong...the device is very cool and a fun toy. But it isn't a device that you can easily justify needing.

IMHO 90% of the folks purchasing an ipad probably couldn't "justify" needing this device. As you mentioned it is very cool and fun toy....as long as you enjoy it why worry about trying to justify it? Sometimes life is simply about enjoying your toys.

Sounds like you didn't enjoy the ipad...that's cool, it's not for everyone. Personally I'm looking forward to my new toy. I may not be able to justify it, but I'm fairly confident I will be happier with it then I was beforehand.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Since getting mine, I haven't needed to pick up my laptop but a couple of times. Those two times were to print something. When I need access to a full machine, I use LogMeIn and access either my office computer or home computer. It's just like sitting there. Very few of the sites I need use Flash, so that's a non issue. I've gotten where I can type fairly well in landscape mode. I've carried a netbook for awhile so I'm used to the smaller keyboard. The Apple case sits it at nearly the perfect angle for typing when taking notes in meetings or just putting down ideas. I've certainly never been able to go all day on a charge with my netbook. Although it's not perfect (but no device is), as more and more apps get ported over from iPhone to iPad, it will only get better.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
For as much as I use my iPhone (constantly), I'm quite certain the iPad will fit nicely into my lifestyle. It's true that it's really not a "need" item, but for me, it's a very heavy "want" item and I plan on getting every penny's worth out of it. Perhaps future iterations will give you what you want -- to each his/her own. :)

Bond32

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
I completely agree with the OP. I bought mine to help me do school work. I am an engineering major and the majority of my work is done online. Only thing is the quizzes require flash so I still have to have my laptop handy.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm returning my iPhone because it doesn't have a kickstand or Flash. I just can't use a cellphone without either one of those things.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Op, I can respect your decision. This thing is alot of money and if you're gonna drop that kind of money, it needs to fit into what you want to use it for.

For me, while the iPad will be quite the toy, it DOES fill a gadget gap for me. I am looking at this thing as much more than a toy.

I do not have a laptop and have have refrained from getting one because I simply do not want to haul a 5 pound chunk of metal around with me everywhere. Pretty much everywhere I go has a desktop I can access if I need it. There are times when YES I wish I had a laptop, but those times I've mostly been able to wait till I have a desktop handy.

I also don't have an iPhone because I hate AT&T and refuse to subscribe to them for phone service, so I have a Driod phone for the moment until Apple decides to let Verizon in on the iPhone action.

Where I was struggling is not having access to the app store...I have been really wanting to get something from Apple and I was considering an iPod Touch. I also was getting ready to purcahse a Kindle. Then then iPad came out.

I think the iPad will have enough storage and computing power to flill the gaps for me and serve as a quasi-laptop for me, so I am fitting it into the "need" and "toy" categories. I do alot of writing and I'm very excited to be able to grab this thing, go out and sit somewhere, and write (using iPages). On top of that, it will replace the iPod Touch I was going to purchase as well as the Kindle - those two devices pretty much pay for the thing AND I don't have to carry around three devices. And I'll be able to stream my Netflix account and play my music in my office at work - can't beat that!!

Last edited:

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I hate to say this, but, the iPad can't be used as a primary product for the internet. That's why one should have a another computer of sorts for those 'just in case' moments...

I'm due to get mine shortly, and will use it to the max, but, if I can't get to a particular website, etc, etc, I have a desktop, and even my old laptop to fall back on...

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Follow up

I will say this...if my Macbook were not so new (bought it in December), if I had an older heavier laptop, or if I did not have a laptop at all but only had a desktop, then the iPad would be easier to justify. However, if you are like me and you have a relatively new Macbook and an iPhone, it is hard to really squeeze the iPad in as a must have device.

Having said all of that, have there been times when I have missed the iPad since returning it. Absolutely. It is a blast to play with. I just wish it could access the entire Internet. That to me is the big drawback.

Who knows...maybe once the jailbreak gets released, someone will come up with a way to effectively utilize flash on it. That could be a game changer.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Joletzing, give us an example of a website that wouldn't 'play' well on the iPad?

I typically rather no have websites that show too much flash and popup ads anyway ;)

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I'm returning my iPhone because it doesn't have a kickstand or Flash. I just can't use a cellphone without either one of those things.
I kinda feel you on this, but the iPad is pretty far from a mobile phone. The comparison falls apart pretty quickly.

Heck, for me, one of the attractive features about the EVO is the kickstand.

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Examples

@Naviculture:

Some examples of websites that I couldn't fully utilize on the iPad--these are just a few that I came across, obviously there are many more:

(1) Hulu
(2) ESPN 360 (now called ESPN3). Although the regular ESPN website is flash-free, ESPN 360 (the site that allows you to stream live sporting events) just unveiled a new flash player which of course means it is unusable on iPad. This is totally ashame because how awesome would ESPN360 be on the iPad!
(3) Comedy Central--wanted to watch some Daily Shows and Colbert Reports and could not due to the need for a plug-in
(4) Einstein Brother's Bagels (I know this one sounds random but my wife was trying to look up the nutrition of some sandwich and the website is all flash),
(5) Publix (another random one--a grocery store website--it wouldn't load up several items due to flash or another missing plug-in)

On the iPhone, I can tolerate the lack of Flash because it is not primarily marketed as a web-surfing device--in other words, it can surf the web, but it also serves many other purposes. Also, the screen is relatively small on the iPhone so a user is not going to heavily rely on it for video watching.

The whole appeal of the iPad, however, is the notion that you can hold the entire Internet in your hands, almost like a book. But in reality, what you are holding in your hand with an iPad, is an abridged form of the Internet. To me, that is what kills this device.

Of course this is just my opinion--feel free to disagree-. I posted my thoughts merely to spark discussion.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
The iPad fits nicely in my life for four main reasons: 1) Form-factor, 2) iPhone OS and all my favorite apps, 3) Instant on/instant off, and 4) Battery life. For these reasons alone I can justify the third mobile product category :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The iPad fits nicely in my life for four main reasons: 1) Form-factor, 2) iPhone OS and all my favorite apps, 3) Instant on/instant off, and 4) Battery life. For these reasons alone I can justify the third mobile product category :)

You really need to own it and use it a few weeks to know that for sure..

I assumed it'd fit nicely into my life as well. But it didn't. Especially after the first few days and the newness wore off.

Web browsing full sites is slow although flash isn't a factor for me.

Weight of device makes it uncomfortable after a brief period.

Typing on it isn't magical at all. Though its suitable for very short replies. This may vary with each person. JMO tho. Even with a kb.

Books are great. Indoors. In fact, its really an indoor device as the screen doesn't fare well in daylight. Or maybe if you have tinted windows in car..lol Polarized sunglasses cannot be used as compared to no problems with an iphone.

Email, calendar, contacts...i didn't really use much at all. Iphone or desktop.

ipod...didn't use hardly. Again..iphone.

Video...of course i used some apps at first since they were free. Looks fine. But still, i'll go watch my bigger, better tv's instead. I don't really have much time outside the home to watch much video. I favored being able to see HD video i shot of the kiddo instead on it.

For productivity, the iWorks apps are garbage. Sorry, i need the real thing. And that is MS Office. Even if the apps were usable, typing & editing (and managing the files) is too much of an ordeal.

Finally, there's the apps. Iphone apps aren't really acceptable. Ipad only apps means a third platform of apps to maintain and buy into. Accessories cost too much as well.

I think the real appeal is that multitouch is fun. This is a very responsive device with apps designed around that premise. It's fun to use but very limited for a device of that size.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Like someone else said I have never understood the need to justify things when you're buying it. You either have the cash or you don't, it either does what you need it to do or it doesn't. This is just my personal opinion by the way I'm not assuming it's a rule set in stone. However if you don't have a role for it to play and you grab it then it comes down to whether you have the money or not. I think for alot of people the iPhone is a want rather than a need there are so many simple phones out there so if you NEED the phone functionality they would do the job. I know exactly what my iPad will be for and I've known it from day one now if I could just get one LOL

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I think the real appeal is that multitouch is fun. This is a very responsive device with apps designed around that premise. It's fun to use but very limited for a device of that size.

While I respect your opinion, I'm not sure that is shared by the majority of consumers. Apple has sold a ton of these, and in many instances are having issues keeping them in stock. One reason for the continued popularity is likely the fact that current owners of the ipad are telling perspective owners the device does fill a need or want and that the size is not limited. Think about it, we are currently in the midst of one of the most devastating economic crisis since the great depression and consumers are lining up around the block to spend their limited disposable income on a luxury item like the ipad.

I'm not an apple fanboy by any stretch, but I do have an appreciation for companies who can still be extremely successful in today's tough environment.

Sorry the ipad didn't work out for you.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Like someone else said I have never understood the need to justify things when you're buying it. You either have the cash or you don't, it either does what you need it to do or it doesn't. This is just my personal opinion by the way I'm not assuming it's a rule set in stone. However if you don't have a role for it to play and you grab it then it comes down to whether you have the money or not. I think for alot of people the iPhone is a want rather than a need there are so many simple phones out there so if you NEED the phone functionality they would do the job. I know exactly what my iPad will be for and I've known it from day one now if I could just get one LOL
Priorities. Limited resources. Benefit to cost ratio.

In my opinion, these are practical, real world reasons to *cost*-justify a potential purchase. Any reasonable person without infinite resources (or let's just say "rich") would do this.

Ftspyder

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Ive got a newer Macbook Pro, the unibody ones, ive got the iPhone a Palm Pre, a 16GB Nano, and now an iPad and i still use the iPad more then anything else.