So I returned my iPad

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday I sold my MacBook Pro that was in perfect condition, etc.. why? Because the iPad replaced it for me. When I was not sitting at my home desk, the iPad was much more convenient to use than a 15 inch MBP.

Let alone I can count the number of times that lack of flash has annoyed me on one hand..

Today, I bought a brand new iMac with the money I got from selling the MBP. The iMac handles all the duties the iPad can't. And the iPad handles everything that involves not being behind a desk plus traveling.

For me, its the perfect set up. But what everyone needs to remember is that we all have different situations so the iPad is going to be perfect for some people and useless to others. Simple as that.

iamfudge

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I love my iPad, Love my iPhone, love my MacBook. I use my iPad so much more than any other device I have ever owned-unless you count my LCD TV. Anyway, now with my iPad, my iPhone battery is awesome.
Sorry you hated it. I watch Netflix all the time in bed, prop it up with a pillow, no problem.

NGC007

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Aside from flash, the other big problem with the device is a lack of a USB port (making it harder to hook it up to a camera, etc.--again, I know you can buy cables for this but this should be included).

A third problem I found was the lack of a "kick stand." As the guy at the Apple store pretty much confirmed to me, you have to get a case for the device because of the lack of a kick stand. It is heavy to hold the device up while lying in bed without some sort of "stand" for it. To shell out another $40+ for a quality case is again hard to stomach.

When you start adding up the extra cables, app purchases, a case, and other third-party accessories, the $500+ price tag starts climbing much higher.

Don't get me wrong...the device is very cool and a fun toy. But it isn't a device that you can easily justify needing.

I share this story only to help those who may be on the fence about buying one.

I'm amazed! Why did you buy it in the first place! A monkey could have figured out all those things you don't like without having to buy it first. Duh

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I returned my new car the other day, cuz when you start accounting for the all the gas, insurance, cleaning stuff, repair bills, accessories, the price just started getting out of control.

richardp

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on the line. I have the money but wonder if it will be worth it, or at least wait until the next release. I've always been an early adopter but ouch, when they come out with the new one with new functionality. Really the biggest reason is portability, and having an online business having to keep up with all the information (overload), sometimes I feel like getting confy on the couch and researching instead of being in the office. Printing would be nice though. I also have other questions which have not been answered. Is it possible to keep backup files on it. Anyone want to buy a kindle 2? lol,

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Waiting for the next one isn't much of an argument. These apple products hold up value pretty well. Simply sell old one on ebay and buy next one.

You really won't know if its worth having til you own one.

I'd recommend a 16gb wifi and cover and hold off on buying other extras. Use it for a week or two and make a decision. At that time, keep, upgrade, or return. You don't need huge storage if you web browse mostly, stream video, read books, etc. You don't need 3G if you keep it at home.

ic22

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I am finding it hard to understand why after one month and the reason given, no flash, kickstand etc it is being returned. The iPhone, when it first came out had its drawbacks but as we all soon found out, its the APPS that make the phone what it is, and the same will be true for the iPad. We are seeing all the new apps continue to come out, better and better all the time. WWDC in June is all about the apps for the iPhone and iPad. In 3-6 months this device will be twice as good, and lets not forget about the OS 4 coming in the fall for the iPad.

I can't wait for tomorrow when I get mine delivered.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If you saw one of my other posts, you will know that I was debating as to whether to return my 32 gig iPad. The decision was a tough one. On the one hand, I got the item open box and it was in perfect condition--as such, I got a very good deal on it: $499 + tax.

On the other hand, the device was frustrating. My wife and I are Apple fans so I am not one of those Apple haters. We are owners of two iPhone 3gs's and a Macbook. Those products we love. However, the iPad, as much as I wanted to love it, was plain frustrating. The biggest reason why is the lack of flash. I know it is crappy technology and html5 is the future, etc. And I know that more apps are coming (Hulu, etc.). However, to spend $500 + on an Internet browsing device that can't surf the entire Internet is hard to stomach. The inability to browse on hulu, comedy central, and other websites that I like is just plain frustrating. Just last night I wanted to stream a radio station--from the Macbook, this is no problem because of a plug-in. With the iPad, such a task is impossible without some sort of specific app that doesn't exist yet.

Aside from flash, the other big problem with the device is a lack of a USB port (making it harder to hook it up to a camera, etc.--again, I know you can buy cables for this but this should be included).

A third problem I found was the lack of a "kick stand." As the guy at the Apple store pretty much confirmed to me, you have to get a case for the device because of the lack of a kick stand. It is heavy to hold the device up while lying in bed without some sort of "stand" for it. To shell out another $40+ for a quality case is again hard to stomach.

When you start adding up the extra cables, app purchases, a case, and other third-party accessories, the $500+ price tag starts climbing much higher.

Don't get me wrong...the device is very cool and a fun toy. But it isn't a device that you can easily justify needing.

I share this story only to help those who may be on the fence about buying one.

Not to be a$$, but you could have avoided the experience if you would have researched it. Even in Job's keynote he made it clear what the device could do, and what it could not do (i.e. he only mentioned what it could do.) As for the usb port, clearly it didn't have one in the presentation, or advertisements, or on the device I assumed you looked at in the store. Why were you shocked when your device didn't have one? Again, not trying to be mean, but it could have all been avoided.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Research big purchases like this first before buying. Everything the OP complains about he could have found out by taking a few trips to the Apple store.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Research big purchases like this first before buying. Everything the OP complains about he could have found out by taking a few trips to the Apple store.
I disagree. There are the facts associated with specifications and then the is the experience of interacting with, using, and generally relying on those specifications to meet one's day-to-day needs and wants.

The one often be discovered from an armchair, at home. The other frequently requires biting the bullet and buying the item to see if, in the real world, it is right for you.

An example might be that one KNOWS the iPad lacks Flash support, while the experience of actually USING the device shows whether that omission is a deal-breaker or not. Obviously, some had thrill opinions from the start but an opinion is more informed when it relies on facts AND experience. Some decided it wasn't worth it for them to spend the time and money to get that experience, but that doesn't make them more informed than the person who decides to make the purchase and decide for him-or herself.

Personally, I like the device more since I bought it. I still have issues with it, but owning it made a huge difference, in my case.

Multitasking will make a huge difference, I expect. But experience will prove me right or wrong.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Well for me, I took 4 planned trips to an Apple store and dedicated about a hour and a half each time to really get to know the iPad. I did everything I knew I would do at home with the unit. And even tried some things that I knew wouldn't work but then tried work arounds. I knew from the beginning that there was no flash. I don't get that as a reason or complaint. Everyone knows Stevies stand on flash. Kickstand? Sorry. I see that as a bit nit picky. But to each his own I guess. I agree that it is entirely different once you are In the comfort of your own home and have your very own to play with and tweak. For me, owning my own has made the experience even better. What a wonderful product.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Not only is there no Flash. There are workarounds to help one not miss Flash. Either those workarounds are sufficient for you or they are not. How does one find out for sure without owning the device?

For some, playing with a demo may tell them all they need to know, but for others, only owning the device and using it beyond the prying eyes of Best Buy employees (we don't have an Apple store where I live; no doubt this is true of others, as well) will answer that question.

The kickstand thing makes sense to me. It is one of my complaints, as well. This thing is no fun to hold, suspended in the air, for extended periods of time.

Having to buy something for $30, 40, or 50 to use in very common conditions is silly, in my opinion. For some, this is not apparent until they try to hold the device upright for a while typing, watching a movie, etc.

I am glad you are digging it. I am also glad that others are discovering whether it is right for them or not. Heck, giving it up may actually show them how much they will miss the browsing experience on a tablet, once they go back to whatever they had before. Again, that is a matter of experience.

No biggie, either way, I guess. We are here to discuss, gripe, vent, praise, and lurk. I am just glad to have a place to talk about this device to people who give a darn.

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Now you are going o think I am really crazy

Ever since I took the iPad back I have missed it. Even with it's limitations, I have found myself reaching for it numerous times as my wife is using our laptop. As a result yesterday I did the crazy thing and bought the iPad again. I will not be returning it this time. I am a nut. :)

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I called it. I called it. What do I win?

Nothing? Oh.
Not only is there no Flash. There are workarounds to help one not miss Flash. Either those workarounds are sufficient for you or they are not. How does one find out for sure without owning the device?

For some, playing with a demo may tell them all they need to know, but for others, only owning the device and using it beyond the prying eyes of Best Buy employees (we don't have an Apple store where I live; no doubt this is true of others, as well) will answer that question.

The kickstand thing makes sense to me. It is one of my complaints, as well. This thing is no fun to hold, suspended in the air, for extended periods of time.

Having to buy something for $30, 40, or 50 to use in very common conditions is silly, in my opinion. For some, this is not apparent until they try to hold the device upright for a while typing, watching a movie, etc.

I am glad you are digging it. I am also glad that others are discovering whether it is right for them or not. Heck, giving it up may actually show them how much they will miss the browsing experience on a tablet, once they go back to whatever they had before. Again, that is a matter of experience.

No biggie, either way, I guess. We are here to discuss, gripe, vent, praise, and lurk. I am just glad to have a place to talk about this device to people who give a darn.

Ever since I took the iPad back I have missed it. Even with it's limitations, I have found myself reaching for it numerous times as my wife is using our laptop. As a result yesterday I did the crazy thing and bought the iPad again. I will not be returning it this time. I am a nut. :)

The real question here is whether you missed out on that sweet, sweet discount (or even had it discounted further) ...or if they sold it at the same open-box price you'd originally bought it for.

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site

@west3man. You sure did call it. You hit the nail on the head. It took me fully realizing what the iPad is and is not. I hope I don't get flamed further for sharing my story. Kudos to you for your keen observation. And yes I was lucky enough to get same deal. Manager at best buy remembered me and hooked me up.