April 30th iPad 3G Question - When To Line Up?

iphoneedmonton

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Alright - so now that the date for the Apple Store release of the iPad 3G + WiFi is set. I have a question for you fine Americans.
I'll be in Seattle from the 27th to May 3rd and I really want to pick one up.
Being Canadian, I'm just not sure what time would be a safe bet to arrive on the 30th?
I realize no one knows for sure about stock and demand for the 3G - but if anyone has any thoughts, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
They say they're available at 5 PM. I'm going to take the day off work, go in the morning with a sack lunch, and spend the whooooooole day there. Hopefully I won't be too far back in the line behind the people who spent the night out there.

iphoneedmonton

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
They say they're available at 5 PM. I'm going to take the day off work, go in the morning with a sack lunch, and spend the whooooooole day there. Hopefully I won't be too far back in the line behind the people who spent the night out there.

Staying overnight for a 5pm launch? YIKES!
Not sure my wife will let me do that during our holiday.
I was hoping to show up around noon. I may have to rethink this.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
For what it's worth, and it will certainly depend on location and likely a host of other factors, but on April 3rd when the Wi-Fi iPad launched, I called the local Apple Store in the mid-afternoon to just satisfy my curiosity and see if there were any iPads left and, if so, what memory configurations might still be in stock. To my surprise, the salesperson told me there were plenty of everything still available and that the line consisted of only about 7-8 people. I don't know what the demand or supply will be like for the 3G version -- perhaps it will be stronger now that the product has been out in the real world for the past few weeks -- but it's possible that drastic measures won't need to be taken.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Staying overnight for a 5pm launch? YIKES!
Not sure my wife will let me do that during our holiday.
I was hoping to show up around noon. I may have to rethink this.

Yeah, I know. I'm not even sure how that would work as my Apple stores are all inside of a mall and the mall isn't open overnight.

I wouldn't stay overnight either, but I did see lots of stuff in the media about how people did sleep out overnight for the WiFi release. I'm just assuming that they'll do it again.

I am expecting the 3G release to be bigger because everyone I know is waiting for the 3G. I could be wrong tho.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I doubt people will stay overnight. The wifi launch was at 9a and it was also the first iPad launch ever. I don't expect the hype for the 3G launch to be nearly as high. Honestly, if it was me, I'd probably get there no earlier than an hour before launch. But I could totally be wrong.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
One thing I've noticed about Apple and their launch of new devices, be it iPhone or iPad -- they seem to have an endless supply at their store on a launch day. It seems like it's the next day or a few days after launch that supplies get scarce. I think getting to the store and hour before opening is adequate and possibly unnecessary.

MNofsinger

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine is preorderd and I will be getting it on the 30th. After I get it, I may head over to the local Apple store to see if anyone is waiting in line. But then, April 30th is Derby Eve here in Louisville so I may have better things to do like grilling some steaks and having a few ice cold Sam Adams!

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Mine is preorderd and I will be getting it on the 30th. After I get it, I may head over to the local Apple store to see if anyone is waiting in line. But then, April 30th is Derby Eve here in Louisville so I may have better things to do like grilling some steaks and having a few ice cold Sam Adams!

There's likely an app for that ;)

iphoneedmonton

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
After watching a video on YouTube from the Seattle Apple Store when the WiFi iPad was released, I think I may need to get there early. I may have to sweet talk my wife - maybe let her go on a shopping spree.

MNofsinger

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Good luck at Best Buy. You will have to let us know what happens. I will be sitting here all day waiting on FedEx to deliver mine.

Cardfan, Are you a fan of the Louisville Cardinals?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
My 3G will be shipping to my work address, so I guess I'll have to sit in my office and look busy on April 30th, all the time checking out the window for my favorite person in the whole wide world on that day -- the FedEx guy.

heelsbigc

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm in line at the apple store in richmond va. I'm maybe #30 out of 50. Checked with both of my local best buys and theyree only gonna 64gig models for sale.

VLennert

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the line at the Apple store in Houston. About 100 people, I am number 44. I have a guaranteed iPad, they say they'll close the line when there's too many people. Woot. Only an hour more of torture!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative