Videos with no name, in iPad photo app

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Is there a way to transfer your videos to the iPad without them going into the photo app and becoming nameless?

I'd like to know which video I'm choosing before-hand. Thanks.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
?? My videos show up In the videos app with names, not in the photo app.
How?

I only saw one option to transfer videos and that was a checkbox in the iTunes photos section giving me the option to include videos, too, or not.

EDIT: The all-but-completely-useless iTunes Help section mentioned choosing the Movie or TV Shows tabs to sync videos but doesn't offer anything more specific. My videos aren't from iTunes. Are yours?

Last edited:

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Your videos would be under movies tab in itunes. After adding file or folder to library.
They have been added to iTunes. I'm confident of that because there'd be no other way to get them onto the iPad (that I know of, anyway).

They do not, however, show up under Movies in iTunes or on the iPad, despite having added the folder to the library.
Yes. You need to put your videos in iTunes first. This may involve converting them to an iTunes friendly format first.
I'd expect the existing format to be compatible enough, since it shows up on the iPad and plays.

Maybe it needs a certain format to show up under Movies? That seems odd. They're current in m4v, I think, because that's how I made sure they'd play on my Pre.

My video podcasts show up under Videos on the iPad.

GENERAL GRIPE: This is one of the things that bothers me about iTunes. Another is that I don't see any way to *remove* a folder from the library. I've moved files and they show up multiple times in iTunes. Then, when they're transferred to the iPad, I receive messages that about one hundred of them can't be found. I've resolved the situation enough to be confident, now, that those files are all duplicates, but it caused me some real headaches, for a while and probably will, again, in the future.

As before I appreciate any and all advice.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You'll get more used to it. It can be a headache though.

First things first though, if you're not seeing your videos in the itunes "movies" under library , then you don't have them in there.

I don't know how you converted them. I basically use Handbrake. First, select source file.

For 1080p, or even 720p video, i picked the iphone preset. Change width to 1024. If i want it exactly at ipad resolution, i crop 240 on left and right under cropping. That's until Handbrake upgrades it version and includes an ipad preset.

For widescreen dvds (720x480), set width to 720. For standard dvd (640x480), set width to 640. No cropping on either.

Ipad only does 30FPS.

Then add these to itunes. If you see them in your movies library, then you're good to go for syncing to ipad.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711