As the exchange window closes, thoughts on upgrading?

Growat

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
New to the forum, glad I found it.

I've been loving the 32GB model I received on launch day. I find it so portable that I'm much more likely to throw it (gently) in my bag as I head out for the day VS my netbook. But when I'm out in the world I want the connectivity of my iPhone, I want to be able to get my email and RSS feeds updated without searching for an open WiFi signal.

So with 3 days left I'm seriously debating taking my WiFi model back, eating the restocking fee, and (ostensibly) buying the 3G model a week later.

I'm wondering if anyone else has wrestled with this debate?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've not got one yet, but have the same idea about getting the 3G model. My only really issue is, do I want to give AT&T any more of my money. So I'm trying to weigh up the cost of the additional monthly fee...

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
I got the 32 GB WiFi version, and have no plans on getting the 3G version. If I need instant gratification while on the move, I just use my iPhone. Otherwise, when I want a more relaxed reading experience, I use the iPad with WiFi.

But I suppose it boils down to what you use the iPad for, if you have an iPhone (for similar applications and features), and if you want to pay more a month to AT&T. For me, the iPad is primarily for reading and research, I have an iPhone to supplement the iPad, and I don't want to pay more a month.

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Currently waiting on the 3g model to be released. IMHO, if I'm going to pony up the cash for the Ipad I want to maximize my connectivity. I understand the argument behind buying a Wi-Fi Ipad and using your Iphone when you don't have a Wi-Fi signal. But I want to have the luxury to use my Ipad or Iphone. If that means paying a few extra dollars to the evil empire which is ATT then so be it. Let's be honest, if those extra dollars didn't go to ATT then they would go to Best Buy, e-bay, Amazon....such is the life of a tech junkie. :D

However, this is a personal preference...I am not implying that everyone should feel the way I do.

Growat

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Yup

I think I want the luxury of being able to use either device as well.

I also think the free use of AT&T Starbucks hot-spots for the 3G models is going to be a big plus.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
If I ever feel the itch to have the iPad connected all the time, I can invest in a mobile hotspot device, be it through AT&T, or Verizon, or Sprint... or I could just get cellular data in the next version of the iPad, because I'm sure I'll get it. As you said, such is the life of a tech junkie.

Growat

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Returned

I pre-ordered my 3G today and took my WiFi model to the store to return it before my 14 days were up. I had called Apple and asked if I could return my online-ordered iPad at a store, and they had told me "Yes", as long as I had the invoice from the Apple website.

The folks at the store were very resistant and said that the operator shouldn't have told me to do this, that there computers weren't set up to handle online returns. They ended up having to convert the return to a gift card, then run a refund on the gift card. Very odd, but I ended up with my credit refund.

And now I wait.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...how much was the restocking fee? Also, did you order your new device there and then? I wonder if you did, if they would have waived the restocking fee.

dawizel#IM

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
If you have the wifi model you can buy the Palm Pre plus and use it as a free mobile hotspot on Verizon's 3g network. (Currently $29.99 @ Bestbuy). That is what I did instead of buying the iPad 3g and giving AT&T more money. It works great. No need looking for a wifi hotspot when you are not home or at work.

Growat

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
The restocking was 10% = $60 for my 32GB model. That's a great question about whether they may have waived the restocking fee if I reserved my 3G then and there. I had already pre-ordered the new model online at home. I'm downgrading size-wise to the 16GB to defer the cost bump of the 3G.

I respect the idea of wifi hotspot phones, and am no fan of AT&T, but the occasional $15 fee that I control from the iPad feels much more desirable than signing a contract for another cell phone and making sure I have that second device when I need to get online.

It's a shame that Apple's lack of tethering between iPhones and Ipads may lose them business to other cell providers that allow hotspot functionality.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Even though I have a Sprint MiFi, I still choose the 3G model. As much as AT&T doesn't have the best coverage, there are areas that I travel to where Sprint is not the best either. Plus, if we are to believe that the Unlimited data plan is truly "unlimited", then I don't have to worry about the 5GB cap of Sprint.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I've successfully resisted the temptation to pick up a WiFi iPad and return it inside the 14-day return window. I've waited this long already, I can wait a little longer for my 3G.