ipad 3G...iphone killer?

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
As Jeremy said, no chance in hell. Okay... I added the "in hell" part, but you get the point. It's amusing to me how many people want to call the iPad a large iPod Touch or iPhone, and in doing so show just how much they are missing about what the iPad really is. It is not an iPod Touch or iPhone replacement.

For example, my iPhone is with me every day because it is my information manager and phone. My iPad is at home today because I didn't have a real need for it right now. It just doesn't go everywhere with me. That is not what I got it for, and I believe is not what Apple intended it to be for. As they suggested, the iPad fills a new space in the personal technology lineup.

I couldn't even imagine carrying the iPad around with me everywhere I went just in case I got a phone call. *shudder* No thanks. And I'm not even talking about holding it up to my head... I'm talking about using a BlueTooth headset with it and simply having to carry it everywhere. What a pain.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Nope, definitely not an iPhone killer. For me, it's kind of like this -- my iPhone is the take-everywhere device and it's my phone, and I suppose the iPad could be considered the "mother ship." There are things that each of them do that is better than the other, and that's the whole idea.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
How could something that's not a phone replace a phone? I can just see someone holding an iPad up to his head to answer a call. Not.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
With skype & 3G & some iphone 4.0, its a phone. Not one you'd want to hold to your ear and certainly a large phone, but still a phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
With skype & 3G & some iphone 4.0, its a phone. Not one you'd want to hold to your ear and certainly a large phone, but still a phone.

With the iPhone you have the ultimate in portability that is just not there with iPad. Imagine bringing a iPad into a restaurant and using Skype for a phone call... that's all I'm saying - not going to happen.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You'd use a BT headset or speaker. You wouldn't sit and hold the ipad to your head.

Now i would need the portability of an iphone or similar, but for those who don't use a phone much, this is certainly easy to do and can save some money.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
With skype & 3G & some iphone 4.0, its a phone.

No, it's not. If Skype and 3G make something a phone, then would you say that running Skype on my MacBook Pro with a 3G modem installed makes the MBP a phone?

Yeah, right. You might be able to make Skype calls on the iPad, but that doesn't make it a phone. And I promise you that having a 3G radio in the iPad won't open up phone features in the OS. It's not intended for that, and AT&T isn't supporting it for that.

iFizzgig

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
How could something that's not a phone replace a phone? I can just see someone holding an iPad up to his head to answer a call. Not.

I'd probably accidentally knock myself doing that..or better yet, crack that big glass screen on my hard noggin!

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
Funny thing is that in the 80's we used to carry cellphones in suitcases because they were the size of suitcases. Do your really think we want start that kind of business again? No chance.

AAFD

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
No the Iphone fits in my pocket and I can make calls with it. I always have it close by. The Ipad is to big for that:)

KC

Jaayquan

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I kind of have to agree with cardfan on this one folks. As I mentioned on another post I have a Kindle bookreader. The DX in fact which is the large one. I take it with me everywhere in my (don't laugh) "man bag". I read it on the metro, at the restaurant or anywhere else I want. The convenience of having hundreds of books, magazines, blogs, my own documents and even the web (sort of albeit lame) with me at all times is quite compelling. If my Kindle could hook up to a bluetooth headphone and take and make calls and was in color I would do it in a heartbeat.

The iPad will do all this and more when you lump in the richer web experience, video, apps, etc.

I think the problem is that most of us are not understanding where Apple is going with this technology since it is all so new. Ever hear of "convergence"? We need to rethink how we use these gadgets. Just because the iPhone is first and foremost a phone doesn't prevent us from playing games on it or updating our Facebook status does it?

With the Kindle Amazon stated it is not about the hardware but the reading experience so the hardware disappears as you are reading. When you look at it, (forgive the pun) the iPad is about the media and not the hardware (although I can't wait to hug my 3G ver when I get it, LOL). Yes the intended media is web, books, apps, movies, etc. but what's to stop enterprising individuals from adding more functionality? No I'm sure Apple does not intend for the iPad to replace iPhones but have you seen the specs on the IPhone HD yet? Look at it and you will see a device that is larger than the current iPhone, higher resolution (940 x 640 resolution display) and more uses. (iPad version 2 anyone?)

iPhone HD Specs Leaked, Launching on June 22? | Redmond Pie

Loving this tech!
Jaayquan

traylorc

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
In my mind, the iphone's primary goal is to be a phone. Iphone users signed a contract with a phone provider and pay a monthly fee for phone services. Obviously, you can also engage in mobile computing with an iphone. But it's a phone first and foremost and that is why people buy it. I see the ipad as a mobile computing device that has limited phone capabilities. However, I would wager that most folks that buy an Ipad aren't looking at as a replacement to their phone.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
For the iPad to ever be my phone, it would require using BT headset or earphones. I don't care much for BT headsets so for me, the iPad would never take the place of my iPhone.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
How could something that's not a phone replace a phone?
Easy, it doesn't need to be a phone just to be something you buy instead of an iPhone. I could totally see using an iPad 3G and a feature phone or dumb phone instead of an iPhone. Not everyone can afford 2 data plans at $30/month each and a dumb phone gives you more pricing options than iPhone like no contract or prepaid. Plus if you're a light user you could (maybe) get by with the $15 plan. I wouldn't dump my iPhone for an iPad 3G with Skype, but I'd consider it for an iPad 3G plus a dumb phone.

But first I'd have to see how iPad fits into my life. My iPhone is still my always in my pocket go to device.