I'm new to apple, and have some questions about calendar and contact syncing.

I was able to sync with my google contacts and google calendar, but was wondering if that continues to update? Do I have to do something to update it?

I also added something to my iPad calendar and it didn't sync up to my google calendar. Is that possible?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
    04-09-2010 09:39 AM
    How did you sync it?
    04-09-2010 10:38 AM
    If you added Google in as your Exchange server, it will stay in sync automagically.
    04-09-2010 11:36 AM
    I'm annoyed as hell that I can't figure out how to add my Google contacts and calendar... and Apple doesn't seem to offer any on-device assistance - not even a simple "Help" file/icon.
    04-10-2010 09:11 AM
    follow these instructions for iPhone they work exactly the same on the iPad. This will give you real time sync with Google mail, contacts, and calendar.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help
    04-10-2010 10:10 AM
    follow these instructions for iPhone they work exactly the same on the iPad. This will give you real time sync with Google mail, contacts, and calendar.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help
    Appreciated, but I don't use Exchange and those directions seem to require it.
    04-10-2010 12:25 PM
    Google is the Exchange account. You must set up an Exchange account on your iPhone/iPad and enter the Gmail info as per the instructions.
    04-10-2010 02:36 PM
    I used the directions above and it worked fabulously. Coming from android to this I was upset that the calendar didn't seem to sync. Silly me didn't know the drop down menu in the upper left didn't have all the calendars checked (was upset for a while until I realized that)!
    Anyway loving the iPad and my Palm Pre Plus web hot spot app!
    Jeff
    04-10-2010 06:03 PM
    Appreciated, but I don't use Exchange and those directions seem to require it.
    You don't need an Exchange server, just select that when you set it up and it will work flawlessly. Enjoy!
    04-10-2010 08:54 PM
    Google is the Exchange account. You must set up an Exchange account on your iPhone/iPad and enter the Gmail info as per the instructions.
    I used the directions above and it worked fabulously. Coming from android to this I was upset that the calendar didn't seem to sync. Silly me didn't know the drop down menu in the upper left didn't have all the calendars checked (was upset for a while until I realized that)!
    Anyway loving the iPad and my Palm Pre Plus web hot spot app!
    Jeff
    You don't need an Exchange server, just select that when you set it up and it will work flawlessly. Enjoy!
    Thanks, folks. I think that's an unfortunate way for them to have set it up, but I appreciate the advice.

Too bad we can only see one Google calendar, at a time.
    04-10-2010 11:26 PM
    Try using a 3rd party calendar, like DejaOffice or PocketInformant. I use 4 Google calendars.
    04-11-2010 01:13 AM
    Try using a 3rd party calendar, like DejaOffice or PocketInformant. I use 4 Google calendars.
    Thanks. I just installed DejaOffice and my contacts showed up, but not one of my calendars did. I don't want to take up anyone's valuable time time trying solve my problems, big these repeated hiccups are a real pain.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the problem is that this device was set up with the assumption that anyone who buys it owns or has owned a modern Apple product and will already know how to navigate the obstacles I have encountered so far.

That annoys me like those cities where the traffic engineers or whatever designed the place as if only long-time residents will be on their streets. It would be ice to have a clear, helpful sign once in a while so that I don't HAVE to stop go ask for directions so often.
    04-11-2010 08:19 AM
    Actually, it's just that the calendar on the iPhone is crap. This is the reason I'm so excited about the announcement of iPhone 4 firmware. Everyone else can have the multitasking - I'm thrilled that they have finally opened up the calendar API so that devs can give us a decent calendaring experience on the iPhone.
    04-11-2010 09:43 AM
    Thanks, folks. I think that's an unfortunate way for them to have set it up, but I appreciate the advice.

Too bad we can only see one Google calendar, at a time.
    Actually, you can sync up to 25 of your google calendars. Go to your google account and find the help section for syncing calendars. There is a link to a page that let's you select witch calendars you want to see on iPad. By default only your main calendar is shown.
    04-13-2010 05:43 PM
    Actually, it's just that the calendar on the iPhone is crap. This is the reason I'm so excited about the announcement of iPhone 4 firmware. Everyone else can have the multitasking - I'm thrilled that they have finally opened up the calendar API so that devs can give us a decent calendaring experience on the iPhone.
    Many thanks, but I gulped at the price form the iPad version, when injust want to see the calendars I can already see on my Pre.
    Actually, you can sync up to 25 of your google calendars. Go to your google account and find the help section for syncing calendars. There is a link to a page that let's you select witch calendars you want to see on iPad. By default only your main calendar is shown.
    Pretty darned cool. No birthdays, weather, or holiday calendars are allowed but it is certainly better than before. Appreciated.
    04-13-2010 06:52 PM
    I just started doing my gcal to iPad sync... it's awsome!! but I do use the gTasks that adds info to my gcal and have some other that I would like to see there, is thete a way to sync more than one gcal with Ipad cal?
    05-20-2010 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD