[QUOTE=traylorc;1567147]In my opinion, I think the longer Apple waits to announce the launch date of the 3G the more it hurts their bottom line. How many posts have we read from people who were planning to pick up a 3g but elected to pick up the less expensive Wi-fi model because it was available. Now, I'm not naive to think that some of those Wi-fi buyers won' return their purchase when 3g becomes available. But there will be some of those wi-fi buyers who simply elect to keep their purchase. So Apple loses potential revenues of $100+ per unit because folks did not want to wait for the 3g model.QUOTE]

Additional loss of revenue may be realized when people that want the iPad NOW will purchase the WiFi version, play with it for a couple weeks, then return it on the 14th day (Apple's return policy) and pony up the 10% restocking fee and get the 3G instead. Apple may have to deal with a load of returned WiFi iPads and that could get a little expensive.
    04-15-2010 02:26 PM
    Same here..... I almost caved today..... seriously considered buying a 16GB wifi iPad to use for a few weeks, then sell on eBay once the 3G version is released.
    Sure has occurred to me. I have a Verizon MiFi. I probably should not have waited for the 3G in the first place.
    04-15-2010 03:21 PM
    Tax day today. News claims a 7-10 day wait on electronic refunds. So a cubic $%&!LOAD of folks will be getting a bump in their bank accounts starting April 23rd or so.

My money is on a release of the 3G pads on that day.

Michael
    04-15-2010 05:42 PM
    Yeah! I pre-ordered a 3G and got a Wifi to play with until then... but Im thinking about just selling the 3G as the Wifi is working out great! But I am still hoping the 3G charge doesn't hit my bank account until after my refund does. It better make it here soon though!
    04-15-2010 07:25 PM
    Yeah! I pre-ordered a 3G and got a Wifi to play with until then... but Im thinking about just selling the 3G as the Wifi is working out great! But I am still hoping the 3G charge doesn't hit my bank account until after my refund does. It better make it here soon though!
    Were you just planning on returning it and paying the restocking fee? Or selling it?
    04-15-2010 11:25 PM
    Well it seems that someone thinks they know the release date of the 3g. See thread at Macrumors:

3G is shipping on the 23 - Mac Forums
    Last edited by guinness0514; 04-16-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    04-16-2010 09:10 AM
    Tax day today. News claims a 7-10 day wait on electronic refunds. So a cubic $%&!LOAD of folks will be getting a bump in their bank accounts starting April 23rd or so.

My money is on a release of the 3G pads on that day.

Michael
    Do people that are getting a refund really wait until tax day to file ... I would think not. I got my refund in February. Now if I were having to pay taxes, then tax day would mean something to me.
    04-17-2010 09:18 AM
    Not sure if your trolling or not, but go safe mode and do a system restore to an earlier time.
    04-17-2010 11:12 AM
    I think Apple is waiting till the 14day return policy is up to announce it. That way all of those people that bought a wifi version to get through the "late April" window will get stuck with them and have to buy again for 3G..lol.
    04-17-2010 12:58 PM
    I think Apple is waiting till the 14day return policy is up to announce it. That way all of those people that bought a wifi version to get through the "late April" window will get stuck with them and have to buy again for 3G..lol.
    I don't think you're far off from the truth.
    04-17-2010 01:02 PM

I could see that. However, no matter what Apple is going to have some current owners of the wi-fi model return their units when the 3g is released. I guess the big assumption here is that Apple is waiting for the 14 day window to expire on folks that bought an ipad when it was launched? That might make some sense as they sold a ton of units launch weekend.
    04-17-2010 02:55 PM
    I went to the apple store and played with an iPad the other day. All I know is that I am so excited that I have a 3G on order! Can I get a "Woot Woot"
    04-17-2010 08:21 PM
    I went to the apple store and played with an iPad the other day. All I know is that I am so excited that I have a 3G on order! Can I get a "Woot Woot"
    Max....I hate to tell you. But nowadays folks are no longer asking for a "Woot Woot".
    04-17-2010 09:35 PM
    Max....I hate to tell you. But nowadays folks are no longer asking for a "Woot Woot".
    Just trying to spread a little optimism...
    04-17-2010 09:57 PM
    Just trying to spread a little optimism...
    Nothing wrong with spreading some optimism!
    04-17-2010 09:59 PM
    I'll give ya a Woot! Woot! and and a Boo-yah!

I ordered my 64gb 3G model Friday using money from selling a little of the Apple stock shares that I got at $89 a share back when the market was freaking out. How's that for sweet?

The 3G will be here on time.
    04-18-2010 10:13 AM
    I sure hope you are right!!
    04-18-2010 11:07 AM

I ordered my 64gb 3G model Friday using money from selling a little of the Apple stock shares that I got at $89 a share back when the market was freaking out. How's that for sweet?

Define "on time" -- that is the big mystery I'm glad my 3G is pre-ordered and now I'm just waiting. I'm hoping for a shipping notice soon
    04-19-2010 12:34 AM
    This is from an email I got last night from apple " We would like to confirm that your order will be shipped in late April as communicated at the time you placed your order. You will receive a confirmation notice when your order has shipped." Hopefully this is a sign that they will be shipping soon....
    04-19-2010 05:46 AM
    This is from an email I got last night from apple " We would like to confirm that your order will be shipped in late April as communicated at the time you placed your order. You will receive a confirmation notice when your order has shipped." Hopefully this is a sign that they will be shipping soon....
    Apple Online Store now says ships by May 7th.
    Booooooo
    04-19-2010 06:38 AM
    If you pre-ordered before yesterday, I think, you are still on for April... I just had a small charge hit my account from Apple. I still have the camera dock and iPad left to be shipped. I wonder which one it will be? Check your payment method and sound off if you see the same thing.
    04-19-2010 08:33 AM
    No charges yet to my account and no email confirming "late April" as my ship date. The only item left on my original order is the iPad, so I assume that when it gets billed, I'll be billed for the whole thing. Waiting.
    04-19-2010 11:29 AM

YEAH! Thanks for the woot woot! Is everyone getting excited?!? I sure am!
    04-26-2010 08:31 PM
    I'm excited. I'll be elated when I receive a shipment notification.
    04-27-2010 02:30 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD