Ipad vs MacBook

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Printing, place photos in a folder, rename said folder, download a file, view flash, charge a USB device, move a file or program to USB drive to install on a computer that is not connected to the net, etc.

The iPad is nice but you are kidding yourself if you think it is able to replace a laptop. Unless all you do is browse non flash sites, watch videos and listen to music.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Yep. The iPad is not an iPhone replacement, nor is it a MacBook replacement. People need to get a grip on that and stop trying to shoehorn it into an existing category.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Yep. The iPad is not an iPhone replacement, nor is it a MacBook replacement. People need to get a grip on that and stop trying to shoehorn it into an existing category.

Actually it has pretty much replaced my MacBook ever since I got it..

Easier to carry around, less bulk, etc..

It might not perform all the functions a laptop does, but it does every I need as a college student.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

It might not perform all the functions a laptop does, but it does every I need as a college student.

You must not have many needs then. I sure wouldn't have wanted this as my device back in college. Give me a laptop anyday.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPad (32GB) and iPhone and a MacBook. I mainly use the MacBook at home to browse the internet and listen to music and play basic games. The iPad does all this and more so I use it for mostly daily stuff. If I need to do other stuff that the iPad can't I go to my MacBook. I Love having the iPad and with MyWi I have WiFi everywhere to use!

jervis961

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The iPad has replaced my MBP for the majority of my computer needs. It is NOT a full replacement by any means but is an awesome tool. My biggest complaint is with the browsing. I like to open pages in new tabs and then work my way through them. The iPad forces me into the new tab and switching between tabs isn't as fluid as in OS X.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

My iPhone has already replaced my laptop for portability. I plan to go away for this coming w/e without a laptop. Once I have my iPad, I cannot imagine carrying a laptop. The iPad will become my primary i/o device, replacing mouse and keyboard.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Let me clarify my point just a bit... there is nothing wrong with people deciding to replace a laptop with the iPad if it works that way for them, I'm simply saying that too many people are upset that the iPad isn't a laptop minus the keyboard. My point is that the iPad was not designed to be a laptop replacement, and getting upset because it can't replace a laptop is just absurd. Just because reviewers have said it should replace a laptop doesn't make it so. Reviewers are nothing special, and their opinions are not gospel.

For those that have replaced the use of a laptop with the iPad, I find that interesting. Not wrong, just interesting. It seems, though, that the few in this thread that have done that successfully have also acknowledged the limitations of the iPad, which is important.

I will pick up iWork for the iPad soon, and will use it for light document creation, with the understanding that if I want to create something more substantial, I will need either my MBP or my MP desktop machine. I make no mistake to assume that the iPad is a replacement for my MBP with the way I use my laptop. For example, if I were planning on editing photos while away from the house, the MBP would definitely go with me so I had access to Aperture 3. However, when just going on a trip with the wife, I will take the iPad and leave the MBP at home. No matter what, my iPhone goes with me everywhere.

Different tools for different situations.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Horses for Courses

Different strokes for different folks

The iPad is not a netbook or a netbook replacement.

It is not a laptop or a laptop replacement.

It is not a smartphone or a smarrphone replacement.

All are general purpose computers.

It seems to me that those are the important comparisons.

That said, I expect that it will reduce my use of all those things and become my prmiary input device to all those devices.

I expect that my most important iPad app will be Logmein Ignition and Touchcopy and Evernote will become more important on my PC.

I like to think that I have always followed my Daddy's admonition to use the right tool for the job. However, applying that maxim to computers is difficult because they are so flexible and have such broad applications. Their uses do overlap. For example, I have contacts in my iPhone that were first recorded a quarter of a century ago on an IBM mainframe using a guest terminal.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Let me clarify my point just a bit... there is nothing wrong with people deciding to replace a laptop with the iPad if it works that way for them, I'm simply saying that too many people are upset that the iPad isn't a laptop minus the keyboard. My point is that the iPad was not designed to be a laptop replacement, and getting upset because it can't replace a laptop is just absurd. Just because reviewers have said it should replace a laptop doesn't make it so. Reviewers are nothing special, and their opinions are not gospel..............
And often fail to survive first customer ship.

When I read a review about the iPad that stresses what it is not or what it cannot do, I dismiss it. I conclude that the reviewer does not yet appreciate what he has seen.

We have all seen at least one review that said the iPad cannot possibly succeed because of "redundancy," i.e., its features, functions, and properties overlap those of devices that some of us already have.

Because one has a vice grip wrench does not mean that he has no use for a box wrench or a pipe wrench. And yes, I once lived in a world in which there was no such thing as a vice grip. When I bought my iPhone 1.0, I thought that I was buying a phone and planned to use it for placing calls. The reviewers said that it could not succeed because it did not have a mechanical keyboard. They did not appreciate..........

Last edited:

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone has already replaced my laptop for portability. I plan to go away for this coming w/e without a laptop. Once I have my iPad, I cannot imagine carrying a laptop. The iPad will become my primary i/o device, replacing mouse and keyboard.

Very good point.. this has just not happened to me because I think the iPhone is a lil bit too small. But its close :)

Freefall25

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Different strokes for different folks

The iPad is not a netbook or a netbook replacement.

It is not a laptop or a laptop replacement.

It is not a smartphone or a smarrphone replacement.

All are general purpose computers.

I have been reading all the different reviews in the media and enjoying people attempts to place the Ipad in the right catagory. I think it all comes down to how you use what ever device you used before getting the Ipad.
My mom uses her desktop computer solely to read e-mail, nothing else. So, her desktop could be replaced my most internet ready tv's. Does that mean an internet ready tv will replace your desktop? No. Again it all comes down to how you use the device.
For example, I have a laptop I carry with me when I travel. That is pretty much the only time I use it. I use it for internet access, e-mail, games, videos, and such. For me the Ipad will replace my laptop. Does that mean it will for everyone? No.
My wife uses her desktop for very simple net surfing, e-mail, and such. I could see an Ipad with dock replacing her desktop. Would it replace mine? Not even close.
I think everyone uses their own experiences and needs when looking at what the Ipad is. If I were to give my mom an Ipad it would probably still be in the box six months later. Does that mean the Ipad is worthless? To her, probably. To mean it is a big part of my daily life. Who is right? We both our in our own way.
The Ipad is what you make it.

Fairoasis2

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine hasn't been a MB or iPhone replacement, but an intermediate device. I hate to surf and check email on the iPhone because of the small screen. I hate toting the MB around because of size. I relate my Apple products to Goldilocks...Mac too big, iPhone too small, iPad jussssssttttt right.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Very good point.. this has just not happened to me because I think the iPhone is a lil bit too small. But its close :)
Youi ought to check out Logmein Ignition. Whenever I use it to access my desktop, I am always pleasantly surprised at how well it works. It has two features which compensate for the size of the screen. The first is touch zoom which allows you to focus on the window that you are using. The other is that the cursor remains in the center of the iPhone(iPad) screen and you move the desktop under. If you move a button under it, you can tap on any part of the screen for a left click. If you tap with two fingers, it is interpreted as a right-click. There is a button to pull up the on screen key-board.

I expect the iPad to replace my mouse and keyboard for most applications as my primary input device and Ignition to be my most frequently used iPad app.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I have been reading all the different reviews in the media and enjoying people attempts to place the Ipad in the right catagory. I think it all comes down to how you use what ever device you used before getting the Ipad.
My mom uses her desktop computer solely to read e-mail, nothing else. So, her desktop could be replaced my most internet ready tv's. Does that mean an internet ready tv will replace your desktop? No. Again it all comes down to how you use the device.
For example, I have a laptop I carry with me when I travel. That is pretty much the only time I use it. I use it for internet access, e-mail, games, videos, and such. For me the Ipad will replace my laptop. Does that mean it will for everyone? No.
My wife uses her desktop for very simple net surfing, e-mail, and such. I could see an Ipad with dock replacing her desktop. Would it replace mine? Not even close.
I think everyone uses their own experiences and needs when looking at what the Ipad is. If I were to give my mom an Ipad it would probably still be in the box six months later. Does that mean the Ipad is worthless? To her, probably. To mean it is a big part of my daily life. Who is right? We both our in our own way.
The Ipad is what you make it.

perfect write up!

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
My goal, once I receive my iPad 3G (someday.... someday....), I plan to see how far I can push that sucker to replace what I do with my MBP. I have a theory and I realize my theory may be laughable to some, but here it is: Steve Jobs and Apple are not pitching the iPad as a laptop replacement because they still sell a bunch of MBs and MBPs. As a first generation device, the iPad isn't completely ready for that anyway. But... I believe that Steve-o very much believes that the iPad is not truly a 3rd category -- it will one day be the device that replaces laptops. I'm wearing my asbestos suit in preparation for the flaming ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR