Anyone tethered Ipad to JB Iphone yet?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm not sure it's even possible? The way Steve Jobs made it sound when asked if you will be able to tether from an iPhone to iPad the answer was no. Jailbroken or not I don't think it would work - yet. If anyone else has a definite answer I'd appreciate it.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I don't have an iPad yet (waiting for my 3G), but I'll be stopping by the Apple store in a bit and if I can get my hands on a demo iPad, I just may have to see if it will connect to my JB iPhone via MyWi. I don't see any reason why it won't in general use because MyWi simply turns your JB'en iPhone into a WiFi hotspot. Easy peasy.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Of course it works. I used mywi all day with it launch day as i wasn't home.

The problem of course is...using too much of it. And being able to jailbreak 4.0 to have it. So yes, it works if you can jailbreak your iphone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Of course it works. I used mywi all day with it launch day as i wasn't home.

The problem of course is...using too much of it. And being able to jailbreak 4.0 to have it. So yes, it works if you can jailbreak your iphone.

This also brings up my main concern of why Jobs said it would not happen... Wonder what they will put in place to make sure it does not happen when AT&T enables tethering.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
It works. I'm using it now. I'm wondering about 4.0!!!! I bet we get tethering this time around for $15 extra a month. Yikes!!!!!

Zer0

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
I tried installing the demo of mywi on iPhone OS 3.0 with out luck I get a message about starting the network then retrying and then it stops and cannot create the adhoc network. I think I may need to got to os 3.1 to use mywi

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Zero, I'm running mywi on 3.0, works great. Though, I had to install it twice because it kept crashing upon bootup the first time around.

MyWi works great with the iPad!! The dev for that app is going to be making some serious coin now with the emergence of every new iPad owner wanting to thether they're iPhone if of course it's jailbroken.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm betting Jobs said no because if he said yes but only if jailbroken then everyone who has an iPhone and an iPad would jailbreak. I was thinking about waiting for the 3G model but forgot about MyWi. I'm def. going to buy MyWi when I get my iPad and have some 3G that I'm already paying for instead of giving AT&T more money which they dont deserve for their crappy network (ok its not that bad just frustrating at times haha).

Zer0

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Zero, I'm running mywi on 3.0, works great. Though, I had to install it twice because it kept crashing upon bootup the first time around.

MyWi works great with the iPad!! The dev for that app is going to be making some serious coin now with the emergence of every new iPad owner wanting to thether they're iPhone if of course it's jailbroken.

Hmmmm.. The only other thing I did was visited BenM site and installed the network settings so I can tether, which does work for me. Could that be messing with MyWi? also are you running the latest version? I will try installing it again tonight and see if I have any luck.

Zer0

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't wait till I got home, I removed the profile that I installed at BenM for tethering and reinstalled MiWi and it is now working properly. :D

bluewizard

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Share IPhone without JailBreak?

Hello All,
Has anyone seen an app to allow 3g sharing on the iphone without Jailbreak? Has something like tinyproxy been created on the iphone?
This would require spending the $100 for the dev license to install the app but would be cheaper than spending the $130 for the 3g version of ipad.

acv1080

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure MyWi is the only way to tether off a jailbroken iPhone. iPad will not connect with an iPhone through Bluetooth, so even if you have tethering enabled on your iPhone (jailbroken or not) you won't have any success. MyWi works great though.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Here is my fear: does MiFi quickly deplete the iPhone's battery? Some days, I already have issues with the battery lasting me through the day.

Thanks!