iPad Keyboard Dock or BT Keyboard?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
does anyone know what the battery life is on the BT keyboard?

The iPad really does have exceptional battery life, so I'd imagine even if bluetooth keyboard does put a dent in it, it's still enough to get you through the day taking notes and such. You should check out the clamcase. It looks pretty cool and convenient.

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
Well i must be the only one, but i went with the iPad dock/keyboard. I prefer typing in portrait as it is more "page like" to me, and the viewing angle is nice. Also, I didn't have to worry about purchasing another dock to charge from, or another dock for holding the ipad with unsightly cables running a muck. It'll all be up to user preference but I have had no issues transporting this dock/keyboard with my ipad in a messenger bag.

Good luck with your decision. I did a review of the apple keyboard dock on my youtube page. username on yt is "emtguzman"

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The iPad really does have exceptional battery life, so I'd imagine even if bluetooth keyboard does put a dent in it, it's still enough to get you through the day taking notes and such. You should check out the clamcase. It looks pretty cool and convenient.
My understanding of the original question was that it was about the battery life of the keyboard rather than the impact of the keyboard on the battery life of the iPad.

I confess that I do not know the answer to either question. I have been using the keyboard lightly for more than a week and the battery is still working. There is no battery meter or indicator. What I expect is that at some point the keyboard will simply stop working. I will report when that happens. However, I doubt that my report will tell anyone much.

Suffice it to say that my experience to date tells me that I need not carry with me more than one change (2 AA cells) of batteries.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
My understanding of the original question was that it was about the battery life of the keyboard rather than the impact of the keyboard on the battery life of the iPad.

I confess that I do not know the answer to either question. I have been using the keyboard lightly for more than a week and the battery is still working. There is no battery meter or indicator. What I expect is that at some point the keyboard will simply stop working. I will report when that happens. However, I doubt that my report will tell anyone much.

Suffice it to say that my experience to date tells me that I need not carry with me more than one change (2 AA cells) of batteries.

Oh you're right, I misread it.

Anyway the battery on Apple's bluetooth keyboard is very very good. It will last several months on a single charge. For other manufacturers however, it obviously varies.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Keyboard/dock does not work with iPad if you are using the Apple branded case. You'll have to cut the back of the case in order for it to fit onto the keyboard dock. That's why I went with the BT keyboard. I don't use it much, but it works great.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Keyboard/dock does not work with iPad if you are using the Apple branded case. You'll have to cut the back of the case in order for it to fit onto the keyboard dock. That's why I went with the BT keyboard. I don't use it much, but it works great.

I feel like I wouldn't either. It just seems like too much setup for a device that's supposed to be so careless.

bconley007

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I plan on getting the bt keyboard because it is portable and i plan on using the apple case, which i believe will prevent me from using a dock.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Another idea to throw into the realm of iPad keyboards... I resurrected my old Stowaway folding universal Bluetooth keyboard that I used for my Palm and WM devices way back in the day. It synced right up with my iPad, so now I can leave my BT keyboard on my desk for convenience and take the ultra-portable folding keyboard in my iPad bag wherever I roam.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Another idea to throw into the realm of iPad keyboards... I resurrected my old Stowaway folding universal Bluetooth keyboard that I used for my Palm and WM devices way back in the day. It synced right up with my iPad, so now I can leave my BT keyboard on my desk for convenience and take the ultra-portable folding keyboard in my iPad bag wherever I roam.
While this item is no longer in production, the iPad has caused there to be renewed interest in it. They are available on Amazon (and I would expect, on eBay). You might find the item a little pricey.

One might be willing to pay the premium for compactness when using it with an iPhone but with an iPad, the Apple keyboard, at $70, seems a much better value.

Last edited:

bayourock

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
Anyone ever think about a Foldable/flexible USB keyboard using the Camera Connect USB plug??? It would be very portable, I know its USB wires and all, but seems like a quick keyboard alternative.

What are your thoughts????

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Anyone ever think about a Foldable/flexible USB keyboard using the Camera Connect USB plug??? It would be very portable, I know its USB wires and all, but seems like a quick keyboard alternative.

What are your thoughts????
My thought is that I cannot imagine anything that used wires that would compete wit Apple's wireless solution at $70-.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
While this item is no longer in production, the iPad has caused there to be renewed interest in it. They are available on Amazon (and I would expect, on eBay). You might find the item a little pricey.

One might be willing to pay the premium for compactness when using it with an iPhone but with an iPad, the Apple keyboard, at $70, seems a much better value.

I mostly agree with you, but if the Stowaway keyboard is already owned or can be found at a reasonable price, it's an excellent solution for those wanting ultimate portability. When folded up, the keyboard is just a little larger than a deck of cards and a little thinner -- easy to carry in a pocket or small tote bag.

Orangensaft

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Mini Review and Pros & Cons of Various BT Input Devices

For my desktop text input I've chosen the BTKey by Macally. Overall, this is a fantastic keyboard that is a pleasure to type on.

For me, the decision was not so much 'iPad onscreen keyboard vs Bluetooth' as it was "Which bluetooth keyboard I am going to get?"

I imagine many of you have a similar situation. Initially, I narrowed the list down to:

1. Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Dock
2. Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (+/- stand)
3. Foldable universal keyboard like the one Dieter reviewed on TiPb
4. Third party iPad-compatible Bluetooth keyboard

Ultimately, I went with option 4 and chose the BTKey.

To give you a better idea, let's just run through those four options and compare and contrast briefly.

Options 1 and 2: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Dock and Standalone BT Keyboard

This is a compelling option for many because of its sleek profile and ability to simultaneously charge your device while keeping it upright. Not to mention it's the official Apple option.

I ultimately decided against this, though, because of its price and positional inflexibility. I use my iPad primarily in the landscape position and prefer to get my real typing (such as this review right now in Pages) done that way.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, at $70, this is a full $24 more expensive than the BTKey.

Pros: Gold standard for Apple purists, charge/sync functionality (dock), sleek industrial design, high angle of elevation (dock)
Cons: $70, locked in portrait mode (dock)

Option 3: Freedom Universal Foldable BT

First of all, thanks to Dieter for providing that informative writeup and video on the Freedom Universal.

This was really attractive to me primarily because of its quite literal universal compatibility. The fact that you could literally switch between HID and whatever that other mode was -- now that's fantastic.

However again the price ($100) prevented me from what was almost an inevitable purchase from the get go.

Freedom Universal Foldable -- Pros and Cons
Pros: Gold standard for compatibility, unsurpassed portability, satisfying tactile feedback
Cons: $100

Option 4: Third party iPad-compatible Bluetooth Keyboard

Macally has a good reputation for providing high-quality, affordable input devices and general peripherals for the Mac. And with the BTKey, their high attention to detail and compatibility upholds that reputation.

The typing experience is fantastic, with low-noise, low-profile, yet highly tactile keys that provide a satisfying punch with each keystroke. It definitely beats the sensation of typing on the low-profile, gentle, moderately tactile keys of the Apple Aluminum Keyboard.

And at a price of $46 on Amazon, it's a highly compelling option for budget-minded iPad enthusiasts.

Macally Pros and Cons
Pros: $46, satisfying tactile feedback, high compatibility and quality
Cons: Average looking appearance, initial pairing was somewhat jittery, low portability

--
Orangensaft
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Unibody MBP 15" 2.4 C2D, 10.6
iPhone 3GS 16GB, 3.1.2JB
iPad WiFi 16GB
Current games: Plants vs Zombies HD, NOVA HD, Pinball HD, Labyrinth 2 HD

Last edited:

freedom-input

May 30, 2010
Visit site
orangshaft .... if you would go on our website you will see that our keyboard that is compatible with the ipad is nowhere near the $100 quoted in your post ... :)

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Well I opted for the bluetooth keyboard from apple although it's still in the packaging. I have a Mac, iphone and now iPad and with the latest update for ios4 I can use this keyboard on any of my devices. I may not use it, lol I just like to have the options available. I also ordered an incase travel kit plus that can stow away everything including the keyboard plus it comes with a stand for the iPad!!! Incase - Travel Kit Plus for Apple® iPad™ - Black - CL57513

It's backordered but I can't wait to get it!!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro