iPad Keyboard Dock or BT Keyboard?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I'm definitely grabbing up an iPad (likely 64GB-3G because I can't help myself) and although it has a nifty on-screen keyboard, I'll also be getting one of the physical keyboards for the heavy lifting. The dilemma I face (and thus the reason why I'm asking the community's help) is: which one?

The keyboard dock is nice in that it is specifically designed for the iPad, provides the built-in dock for charging, syncing and holding the iPad upright, and includes specific keys just for the iPad. The BT keyboard, on the other hand, is the same price, offers up some nice wireless connectivity for more flexibility, but offers no built-in dock or specific iPad keys.

Please feel free to weigh in on what you think are the pros and cons of each and, if you are planning on getting a physical keyboard, which one will you get? It will be nice to see what everyone thinks! Thanks!! :)

derrythe

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I think if I were to get one, it would be the keyboard dock. Most of my serious data entry will likely be on my laptop, but if I were to use the iPad for it, I would be sitting at a desk most likely so the dock makes sense. Though one benefit of the BT keyboard is that especially using Apples folder case, you could use the BT keyboard with the iPad propped up in landscape mode if you wanted where the dock obviously locks you into the portrait mode.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I think if I were to get one, it would be the keyboard dock. Most of my serious data entry will likely be on my laptop, but if I were to use the iPad for it, I would be sitting at a desk most likely so the dock makes sense. Though one benefit of the BT keyboard is that especially using Apples folder case, you could use the BT keyboard with the iPad propped up in landscape mode if you wanted where the dock obviously locks you into the portrait mode.

Excellent point about portrait vs. landscape. Something else I forgot to mention or consider is portability -- maybe the BT keyboard is slightly more portable than the dock/keyboard?

Skytouch

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
My plan is to go with the small BT keyboard for a few reasons:
* Landscape mode
* Ergonomics of my workspace favoring a separate keyboard
* Other uses for the keyboard besides with the iPad

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I put off the decision when I ordered my iPad 3G. I have just returned from the Apple Store where I had a lengthy demonstration of the iPad. While the "Genius" who did the demo was very skilled, I am more knowledgeable, Mostly because I watched Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun, do an extended live review on MacBreak Weekly, available on youtube at YouTube - MacBreak Weekly 188: iPad Revealed!

Andy came down firmly in favor of the BT k/b as more portable, packable, and separable. I think that I am now decided in its favor.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Are there short cuts that can be used with the wireless keyboard? I just hooked mine up and the typing works great.... But, I'm wondering about scrolling, selecting apps etc. Any help would be great. Thanks

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Are there short cuts that can be used with the wireless keyboard? I just hooked mine up and the typing works great.... But, I'm wondering about scrolling, selecting apps etc. Any help would be great. Thanks

Isn't that what the touch screen is for?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Yes, but what if I don't have a dock and I tie the ipad from the ceiling and have no opposing pressure to place on it. :)
Of course. You are right. That will be a problem. Both times.:)

We solve that on the Mac and the PC by defining short cuts on the host. The only way to do that on the iPad is to jailbreak.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Excellent points. I watched that episode, as well. Andy's comment about the dock keyboard's rigidity vs. flexibility/"packability" made a big impression on me.

I think, and this may be worth the op's consideration, that the iPad dock (minus keyboard) combined with the Bluetooth keyboard closely approximates the best of both worlds.[\b]
I think that is the way that I will go.

I was in Best Buy yesterday. They had four iPads out for playing with. They were displayed on tilted rings with a rubber bezel. One could alter the angle of the iPad by moving it up on the ring. Either the ring is heavy or attached to the table top. I thought that it was very effective.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I think that is the way that I will go.

I was in Best Buy yesterday. They had four iPads out for playing with. They were displayed on tilted rings with a rubber bezel. One could alter the angle of the iPad by moving it up on the ring. Either the ring is heavy or attached to the table top. I thought that it was very effective.

They have those rubberized rings at the Apple Stores also. They should sell those in the store ;)

JCat_IM

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the BT KB today simply because I want to be completely wireless. Having the keyboard dock means having it at a desk or a table... which for some will be the ideal set up. My power supply is in the bedroom, which is where the iPad charges when I'm not using it anyway. I love the feel of the BT keyboard!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Of course. You are right. That will be a problem. Both times.:)

We solve that on the Mac and the PC by defining short cuts on the host. The only way to do that on the iPad is to jailbreak.
No longer true. With 4.0 someone can build us a program that will enable us to associate macros with key combinations. Should be worth $0.99.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Damn, I already pre-ordered the dock/keyboard and the Apple iPad case to be delivered. Will the Apple Store take it back unopened? I would think so, but has anyone returned online items to the store? Either way, I think I'll have to go with the BT keyboard for portability...

MNofsinger

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I also ordered the iPad 3G 64GB. I went ahead and picked up the Apple Bluetooth keyboard at Best Buy ($69.99-$20.00 in gift certificates). I think the applle iPad keyboard will be more difficult to carry around because of the built in dock. I also like the idea of being able to use it while in landscape mode. Now I just can't wait until the end of the month!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro