This pad from the makers of the 100Dollar laptop is in development and scheduled for release early 2011 to educational/development organizations. If it is as rugged as the 100Dollar laptop, then it will surely be as popular.

This pad will have wlan, camera, calendar, flash, games, maps, internet, basic office apps, multi tasking, media player, video player, mail, etc. Of course this is not in the same leugea as the iPad and will have no apps. The OS is Linux.

02-08-2010 10:17 AM
    Not unexpected! I'm quite sure there will be a ton of iPad imitators, especially if the iPad does anywhere near as well as Apple hopes it does!
    02-08-2010 03:53 PM
    looks too thin to be real, is this just concept renderings?
    02-09-2010 01:14 AM
    I have a friend who was able to play the iPad for a few minutes during the announcement。
    - the LCD is beautiful and the view angle is almost 180 degree。
    - the 1GHZ CPU is blazing fast. He loaded the web game Word of Lordcraft on it. It performed beautifully.
    -No multi-tasking, but you can still listen to music while doing something else
    - no camera, no text messaging。
    - the system is iPhone OS 3.2。
    - the keyboard is ok, but not great. It is not as sensitive as in the demo.
    -it is confirmed no Flash support
    02-09-2010 01:17 AM
    For those who are interested this is the OLPC XO-3. The actual target price is $75 (yeah, we know how the target price worked out for the XO-1 laptop) and release date is 2012 not 2011. Note that their previous concept the dual-touch screen laptop XO-2 has already been scrapped after 18 months in the concept stage, so I wouldn't necessarily expect this to get past the concept stage either. Even Nicholas Negroponte said that they don't necessarily have to build this thing, they just have to threaten to build it (to drive down tablet prices in order to make the technology more accessible).
    02-09-2010 03:38 PM
    For that price, I'm skeptical that the quality will be up to the same standards as the iPad. Everyone knows the iPhone (and iPad by proxy) has the best touchscreen on the market, and those cost... what, $70 a piece for the iPad? I have a feeling that this thing will have all the functionality of the iPad, but won't do any of it nearly as well.
    03-25-2010 11:01 AM
    Once inside the Apple Matrix and enjoying all the iPhone apps that I have, it's hard to imagine picking up any other kind of tablet, no matter the price.
    03-25-2010 11:07 AM
    Those pics look a little iffy to me. But hey, if its real, and can do what they say it can, Ill be happy to make that $100 investment.
    06-30-2010 10:51 AM
    you get what you pay for
    07-03-2010 02:52 AM
    I don't see this being as good as it looks at all... And if technology really advances by 2012 to make a tablet that thin apples new iPad will still be better. And 75$ price point for a tablet is unrealistic especially one that looks like that.
    07-04-2010 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD