No Multitasking but what about the Music

Exergy

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
So the iPad has no multitasking, disappointing but not too surprising. The iPhone and iPod can play music in the background while using other apps or surfing the web, although it often slows down the system.

The iPad runs off the same OS but uses kind of a different music player. Will the iPad be able to play music in the background just like the iPhone? I would assume so but I'm making no assumption with this device.

Another quick question, How is pages going to save and download files? If I use it to take notes in class will it automatically sync to my computer or visa vica?

Thanks

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
they never said the iPad did not multitask, I think this was something held back for 4.0 release, as not to spoil the new iPhone preview...
They have been talking about a new file structure, and a new type of finder, but thats more rumors at this point
I think if they showed too much, it would stifle their flagship product the iPhone and touch

hanguk9117

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Multi-tasking is something iphone users have been complaining about for the longest time. I have no doubt Apple is aware of all the other phones (android / palm pre) that come with multitasking, and will not hold this from the iphone.

It should come up on the OS 4.0 release, which means the ipad will get it too.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
all computers multitask, it's a core part of computer science since the 1970s. humans never multitask. we do a single task at a time

what is true is the os does not run third party apps in the background. this means we can not switch between tasks quickly and easily.

there is a difference.

we could get 90% of the way there if more programmers setup their programs to remember where they left off. notes apps could benefit from this. but this isn't going to happen with everyone. it also doesn't help the apps that do need to stay open in the background.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Multi-tasking is something iphone users have been complaining about for the longest time. I have no doubt Apple is aware of all the other phones (android / palm pre) that come with multitasking, and will not hold this from the iphone.

It should come up on the OS 4.0 release, which means the ipad will get it too.

this is pure conjecture

Exergy

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I believe that 4.0 will fix a lot of the complaints but with the current OS will the iPad be able to play music will using other apps? Just like the iPhone.

combatdoc

Dec 13, 2008
www.ffpblog.com
FYI, the music on the iPhone will play in the background while you do other things (it automatically mutes when you get a call and unmutes when you hang up). Just as the phone multitasks.. ie you can browse the web while speaking on speakerphone. So the iPhone does multitask (JB's proved that) its just Apple locks it out from everyone but themselves.

Justino#IM

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone CAN multitask 3rd party apps. The apps just need permission from apple.

LOL...From what I can see the only apps people want to multitask are Pandora and Twitter! That is no reason change the entire system.

Email Pandora and your favorite twitter app demanding background running support. Then they can use that as ammo next time they ask apple for the feature.

Sometimes I wonder if developers even ask..... I know a handful of 3rd party apps have been granted background running capabilities.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone CAN multitask 3rd party apps. The apps just need permission from apple.

LOL...From what I can see the only apps people want to multitask are Pandora and Twitter! That is no reason change the entire system.

Email Pandora and your favorite twitter app demanding background running support. Then they can use that as ammo next time they ask apple for the feature.

Sometimes I wonder if developers even ask..... I know a handful of 3rd party apps have been granted background running capabilities.

Yikes,

Apple does not allow any 3rd party developers multi-task permission. They have allowed some developers (google) access to some restricted API's, however they have not allowed multi-tasking ...

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
humans never multitask. we do a single task at a time.

How do you define a task? Last I checked, I am able to sing a song in my head, have my heart beat, move my arms to scratch an itch, type on a keyboard and read all at the same time. That's not multitasking? Granted a heartbeat is an involuntary motion, but it's something the body has to do all the time...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh