Ive been wondering.... What if Jobs, almost 3 years ago walked onto the Macworld 2007 stage and introduced the iPad (the way it is now). Now, I know all of the technology and services weren't there at the time, but hypothetically...

What if they started with this iPad three years ago, no iPhone yet. Everyone would say the interface is revolutionary, amazing! Now, January 27th, 2010... Three years after the iPad revolutionized the tablet world, what if they showed the iPhone, yesterday... The first iPhone. Instead of what everyone is saying now: "The iPad is just a big iPhone", they'd be saying "The iPhone is a small iPad! Amazing!" It would change a hell of a lot if you just switched the dates around... I know its a random thought but its been on my mind.

And its interesting, what if we'd had this iPad for three years, and we're just getting the iPhone now? What do you think?

- ds
    01-28-2010 07:38 PM
    That's very similar to a point I made in another thread. Usually technology shrinks but in this case it got bigger.
    01-28-2010 07:50 PM
    It would have failed. Three years ago this technology would have been too expensive. Consumers who could afford it wouldn't have many apps to play with. Business users wouldn't have any practical use for it.

So many people today are still frustrated with the limited usage of the iPhone (hence there's a JB community), but we put up with it b/c it serves our basic necessity, as a communication device. But the iPad (and iPod Touch), which is an entertainment/ebook/portable game console/email device is not. Consumers would see it as an expensive boy-toy. Tablet PC, eBbook reader, blue-ray DVD, netbooks are disruptive innovations that have been around for quite a while but are still not widely accepted today b/c the software avialable can't catch up with hardware. Apple executed the iPad launch perfectly b/c it allowed time for these disruptive technology to be widely accepted by the consumer first.
    01-28-2010 11:05 PM
    It would have failed. Three years ago this technology would have been too expensive. Consumers who could afford it wouldn't have many apps to play with. Business users wouldn't have any practical use for it.

So many people today are still frustrated with the limited usage of the iPhone (hence there's a JB community), but we put up with it b/c it serves our basic necessity, as a communication device. But the iPad (and iPod Touch), which is an entertainment/ebook/portable game console/email device is not. Consumers would see it as an expensive boy-toy. Tablet PC, eBbook reader, blue-ray DVD, netbooks are disruptive innovations that have been around for quite a while but are still not widely accepted today b/c the software avialable can't catch up with hardware. Apple executed the iPad launch perfectly b/c it allowed time for these disruptive technology to be widely accepted by the consumer first.
    I agree to a point. I think the iPad is going to appeal the the reader community highly. If Jobs had of done this 3 years ago, he would have been on the cutting edge of reader technology and probably been given credit for that industry.
    01-30-2010 10:23 AM
    The iPhone was a much easier sell initially because everyone needs and uses a cell phone, so if you can add a bunch of extras to that cell phone, then no problem. I agree that the iPad would have likely limped along 3 years ago, but not that the iPhone is so ubiquitous and there is an app store packed with apps and a health development community, the iPad should take off.
    03-25-2010 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD