Practical uses for iPad?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I would NEVER get rid of my iPhone LOL there is no way the iPad will replace my iPhone but for me it will compliment it by letting me do all the things I don't do often on my phone because of the size. The fact I can use the apps I already paid for on it is awesome :D

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
It would be good as an interactive sheet of paper basically anyone that carries a clipboard around for part of their job could use this thing as an alternative. So as far as business uses that's

Teachers
students
doctors
nurses
lawyers
secretaries
middle managers
insuaance people
police officers
small business owners who have to make and capture quick contracts for services.

and other work endevours that require you to do any kind of mobile paperwork.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
eReader
watching video on plane/train
watching video on exercise machine (if you have no TV in that room)
casual couch surfing

That's mostly it. Not a necessary device, but sure could be a fun device.

Really I think what will make or break it will be 3rd party apps. We'll have to wait and see what developers make of it.

One (among several) things missing: printing. They should allow you to print to any bonjour-available printer (i.e. plugged into Time Capsule or Airport). Using Pages to edit or whip up a quick doc isn't as useful if I can't print it from the iPad.

Dobbin

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
iPad as Control Surface

We have already begun the design work to use the iPad as a control surface for our mobile digital recording rig.

The large screen area allows us to not only draw where we have placed the microphones in relation to the instruments, choirs, soloists, etc... but to control them individually or in groups by simple tapping and dragging. We usually record with between 16 and 32 microphones, so a choir may have 6 microphones which we like to control as a group, and some microphones, like the Soundfield's need to have all their gain levels moved simultaneously, otherwise the maths doesn't work and you risk losing the full surround.

The pop-over menus will be particularly useful for setting such things as phantom power and polarity, with the touch keyboard allowing us to put names and descriptions against items. A built-in camera might have been nice but the initial plan is to allow photos to be added to drawings from our iPhones or from a proper hi-res digital camera.

The iPad looks like a great tool to allow us to plan and document our layouts as well as to control the recording levels during sessions - this, when combined with the session notes, makes the editing and post production much easier.

If the iPad ships early enough here in the UK then we could use it for our recording sessions after Easter.

Cheers.

Dobbin

Exergy

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Personally I'm going to try to use it to replace carrying around a laptop to class to take notes, whether that happens as well as I want it to we'll see. If you already have an iPhone it would definitely be a much harder decision to fork out the money but I truly think once iPad specific apps start coming out of the app store people will really see some of the major differences and what the pad can really do.

Unchewable

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Why I will get the Ipad

Glad you started this link the ipad is made for people like me here is a quick list why.

I have a $3200 macbook pro and no desktop comp i have it plugged into all kinds of stuff including a 2 tb raid 5 external drive. Basically I don't like to remove it, it is my desktop. here are some practical uses for the ipad.

small presentations I have youth group once a week with a small group of kids. I don't wanna fire up a projector for small presentations or just to show a few pics or news clips during Bible study and i don't wanna bring in my big not so great battery life laptop that is expensive with crazy kids.

bigger presentations I have a youth camp coming up this week and getting near a outlet for any length of time can be difficult but I would like to get pics together from people and put together a slide show by the end of camp. My laptop and even my netbook just don't have the battery life to do it and are awkward sitting in tight spaces.

Picture uploading There are lots of trips where i want to upload pics from actual camera's. The ipad already has a camera kit apple has on their site and you can use the current iphone app flickit now but i am sure there will be ones especially designed for the ipad. Whether on wifi or the 3g this would be nice for me. Again i don't wanna bring my laptop because it is big bulky doesn't have great battery life and is expensive and i hate using my netbook because it is such a pain.

vacation trips i like to blog, check a couple of sites send out some emails and be able to vnc to work etc. Netbook is a painful experience here so i bring it and dont use it, the laptop is a pain to pack so i don't bring it, the ipad would be handy here where the bigger screen is better for blogging picture looking, web surfing etc, when i get back in the hotel.

rural trips I just got back from a trip where i spent a lot of time in vans sometimes up to 6hr drives. my laptop didn't have the juice, my netbook is annoying and my iphone didnt have the power to do what i needed to do. My job was to go through pictures and then upload select ones. My other job was to do a video and i find that it works best if i can come up with a story board on the trip and execute it at home with my faster machine. On those long rides it would have been nice to be able to go through the pics with the ipad deleting ones i didnt need so when i arrived at the hotel i would have set albums i could just upload.

using around the house which jobs tried to kinda show during the keynote. i found that i would go in my office and work on the comp and my wife would watch tv. I found us increasingly spending time apart in our own home. So i started using my iphone in the living room more and more. This got really annoying really fast because of the input method and size of the screen but didn't want to be in my man cave all day. The ipad would be nice here and seems to be its niche.

reading in the bedroom i only really read digital books because i like to read at night with the lights out as i am going to bed. The bigger screen size makes this a obvious winner over my Iphone.

bike riding to work I am fortunate that i live 3 miles from work so i can bike ride. There are times when i would like to get a flyer done or email a group of parents, or work on a keynote. i don't need to do the whole thing just need to tweak some things during break. Due to the weight, size and in-expense of the device i could see throwing it in my bag getting some stuff done and be ready that night to do final changes on my laptop before showing it on my ipad to the parents.

trip/event planning with big events it would be nice to have something bigger then my phone but more advanced then a pad of paper. i could look over my to do list email the needed people. have a picture layout of the event and where people should be. Who knows what developers could wipe up for wedding planners and event coordinators with this device in the future.

interactive display My wife does photography on the side and for the price point this would be great to attract people to here display and not have to worry so much about people messing up a keyboard or it not being elegant enough for a wedding photography setting at a bridal show. For me it would be nice when we have church events and are describing what we do over the year and would be a nice conversation piece.

The list goes on and on, I have really thought it through and nay-sayers simply haven't. I am not saying it is for everyone but for people like me it is gonna be epic. The new apps that will come out for this will be minority report awesome too.

Last edited:

jennyvier

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm a graphic designer and currently I'm specializing in user interface design. So getting my mitts all over this new kind of interaction design is crazy-appealing to me, right off the bat.

As far as what I plan to use it for here's what I've been daydreaming about so far:

THINGS THAT EXIST ON DIS EARF, CURRENTLY

Sketching: The updated Brushes app + a Pogo stylus will be something I'll use daily. I design icons currently by busting out my moleskine sketchbook and doodling my concepts until I come up with one I like. Then I'll usually scan my best ones in and start building over top of them in Illustrator. So to be able to sketch them out on the iPad then just email them to myself (also to keep all my concepts organized within the app) is a freakin' dream come true. Also, should inspiration hit me while on the bus it'll be a lot easier to bring out the iPad then it would to prop up my big sketch book and dig through a pencil case full of colours.

Recipes: When I'm not graphic designing, I'm playing around in the kitchen with various baking projects. Currently I use Evernote to organize my recipes but picking up my iPhone and holding it up to my face to read ingredients with slippery flour covered hands isn't ideal. I'm going to make / buy a wall mount for it in the kitchen on the outside of my pantry door, right at eye level, to view my recipes. Awesome.

Reading Comics in Bed: How excited am I to use ComicZeal and read full screen comics on the iPad? Freakin' excited. That's how excited.

iWork: If I never have to see another fugly Excel spreadsheet in my life I can die happy.

THINGS THAT DON'T EXIST FOR IT YET, BUT WILL SHORTLY

Magazine subscriptions: Give me a Martha Stewart app that updates monthly with the newest issue of the magazine and allows me to clip crafts, photos and recipes all within the app. GIMMIE. Also, Entertainment Weekly. I love reading the issues but I hate wandering around my apartment at the end of the month, gathering up the issues from under the couch and in the loo, then pitching them.

Board Games: I'm a bit of a board game junkie (Monopoly, Scrabble... even the little goofy ones, like Boggle and domines.) I'm looking forward to always having my favorites on me that I can plop down on the table at a friend's house. Scene It would be great on the iPad, with the video clips built right in.

Really there's a ton of possibilities for the iPad because there's a ton of possibility for apps made for a larger screen. I'm excited to see what developers, and Apple themselves, come out with in the future.

To be fair, I'm a gadget junkie. Gadgets are what I choose to spend my hard-earned dollahs on. So I can see where this would be a monetary stretch for a lot of people.

One last thing: Those of you who are more hardware tech savvy - could a clip-on webcam be designed that plugs into the 30 pin connector and work with an included / free app? Because if so, Logitech should get ALL OVAH THAT. I do lament the lack of webcam as my family lives in BC and I'm in Ontario.

Last edited:

Ridlaw

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping to use one for all the uses that I bought my netbook for!

I hate browsing the net on it the screen is too small so it involves a lot of scrolling. The iPad will have a slightly larger resolution screen but the touch interface should make the scrolling/zooming around a breeze. I actually prefer to use Safari on my iPhone to any browser on my netbook.

Hopefully one of the app developers that currently supplies a VNC and/or Remote Desktop client will upgrade their apps to take advantage of the larger screen so I can do some remote support from the car/train/sofa with some degree of comfort.

Email goes without saying.

Video playback for when I'm away from home or waiting to pick the kids up, etc.

In addition to what I use my netbook for hopefully Apple will get iBooks sorted for the UK before launch and I can start reading some of the heavy textbooks that I'd love to read in bed but don't have the arm physique for!

Plus whatever app developers can come up with... I'm on the dev program myself and I'm starting to think of what software I can write that I could sell almost instantly to a few of my customers!

I saw a quote the other day dismissing the iPad as "just a big iPod Touch" and the best reply was that it's not "just" a big iPod Touch it "IS" a big iPod Touch.. that's it's selling point! All the things that the Touch can't QUITE do well because of the small screen will be covered by the iPad... I can't wait!

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm hoping to use one for all the uses that I bought my netbook for!

I hate browsing the net on it the screen is too small so it involves a lot of scrolling. The iPad will have a slightly larger resolution screen but the touch interface should make the scrolling/zooming around a breeze. I actually prefer to use Safari on my iPhone to any browser on my netbook.

Hopefully one of the app developers that currently supplies a VNC and/or Remote Desktop client will upgrade their apps to take advantage of the larger screen so I can do some remote support from the car/train/sofa with some degree of comfort.

Email goes without saying.

Video playback for when I'm away from home or waiting to pick the kids up, etc.

In addition to what I use my netbook for hopefully Apple will get iBooks sorted for the UK before launch and I can start reading some of the heavy textbooks that I'd love to read in bed but don't have the arm physique for!

Plus whatever app developers can come up with... I'm on the dev program myself and I'm starting to think of what software I can write that I could sell almost instantly to a few of my customers!

I saw a quote the other day dismissing the iPad as "just a big iPod Touch" and the best reply was that it's not "just" a big iPod Touch it "IS" a big iPod Touch.. that's it's selling point! All the things that the Touch can't QUITE do well because of the small screen will be covered by the iPad... I can't wait!

This will sell. Tech bloggers hate it because it is too simplistic. News Flash! The masses hate tech because it is to complicated.

Like Jon Ive said, it will fit you in some way, whatever uses you come up with it will help you.

2bigfeet

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking it will replace my MacBook Pro to a large degree. I'll be mostly browsing with it, email, iPhoto, iTunes... most of the stuff I do while I'm in bed at night with my iPhone. Only now I'll be able to see everything!!!

Then... I can see some of the apps I have on my iPhone crossing over. I'm looking forward to using the iPad as a big remote control for ProTools (Pro Remote) in my studio. Multitrack recording quick ideas, showing off music videos etc.

Looking forward to it.

ro10910

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
iPad use

1. I will use it to teach lesson in church and public speaking instead of paper notes.
2. read books
3. surf the web

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
As an ebook reader (possibly). The 9.7" kindle is $10 cheaper than the cheapest ipad. The ipad can access kindle and ipad books, has a better Internet experiece, and better multimedia capabilities. So i see it as a iKindle. In this context, it's a good deal. As a netbook, it's a horrible option.

I could see myself reading a book with this with extra perks.
I don't see this quite replacing a computer.
Well, my IPhone is the best computer that I have ever had. With Ignition to give me access to my laptop, I now feel sufficiently secure to go out without my laptop. The iPad may not "replace" a computer, but it will replace carrying one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox