Is the ipad going to cut into the iphone market share

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Now that we've seen the new ipad( sounds like something from a madTV sketch), is this going to impact the number of people who buy the 4th generation iphone?

Personally i think there will be fewer people buying an iphone if they can have an ipad in their bag. Use your ipad for internet browsing, and your verizon phone so you can actually make a phone call... possibly use it to make a wifi hotspot so you wont need to bother with that 3G monthly fee.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't see how because the iPad doesn't make phone calls...and everyone has a cell phone these days. If anything people will get the iPhone instead.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
i love my iphone but its not meeting the main purpose for owning it, to make phone calls. Maybe my opinion is bias because i work in NYC and use my phone to speak with clients (and dropping calls in extremely frustrating when speaking about important issues). The service is as bad as it gets, but i love the functions the iphone has, browsing, apps, email, music. but the ipad is going to have those features. If i have an ipad to meet those needs, why would i buy an iphone to have the same things. I can get a verizon phone (ex. palm pre plus) and still have the amazing features exclusive to the iphone on my ipad.

not to mention the palm pre plus offers a wifi hotspot function that will allow access to the internet.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't see it cutting into iPhone sales at all. Once the iPhone is on VZW there will be even more people buying the iPhone in the US then there is now. Also the iPad is a very niche device at this point in time. There is still a much smaller market for a third device then there is for the worlds best smartphone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I am sorry AT&T sucks for you in NYC, but here in MD and around the DC area AT&T has excellent coverage. The iPad isn't a phone though, in your case maybe you would choose the iPad over the iPhone.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
You think the ipad could ever be used as a phone? If people didn't mind carrying around something that big? I think it'll cut more into the ipod touch market than the iphone. I also think it's aimed at a different market of people, like 40+ year olds, or college students needing textbooks, or stay at home mom's who have kindles and would rather have this better and greater device, or business folk who want something smaller than a laptop and lighter than a laptop.

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I would use the iPad more as a smaller more easy to use laptop having around the home. Checking email, news, browsing.. and stuff like that.. It would be nice to be able to call with it! So i can have it as a homephone. But maybe skype worsk on it over wi-fi? I dont think I can see myself carrying it around everywhere like a normal phone... Maybe if I where a hip-hoper with gigant pants. I bet the iPad would fit in those pockets ;)

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It will but not extensively. For those ppl. Who hate AT&T but want an iPhone, they can keep their dumbphones and pick up an ipad. I see few people getting an ipad who own the iPhone. Who wants to pay 2x for data?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this has been brought up already because I couldn't read through the whole thread yet, crazy, CRAZY, busy at work. I had to however chime in because I was just thinking about this very thing this morning on the way to work after thinking about the podcast last night. I think one of the ways Apple could make this device complimentary to the iPhone is this. I don't know about others but I hate when I'm working and my phone is in my pocket and I get an email or text message. I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket, check it, it's nothing crazy important and I just interrupted my train of thought or what I was doing. However in this day and age we need to know everything right away that is what I end up doing alot of times per day. So what they should do is to have the iPhone and iPad link together whether through Wifi, BT or it's own link. Then two ways to do it a) have message forwarding on the phone and you choose the iPad as the destination it's sitting on my desk and if a text, email, whatever comes to the phone blip it pops up on my iPad easy to read and dismiss if it's not important and without disrupting my workflow alot b) Once the link is active if the iPhone is running a process, iTunes, Safari, etc. the messages get relayed to the iPad. Also with the same token if I have the iPad in my lap and I'm reading the message on my phone I just swipe it and it flies into the iPad and I can reply with the bigger screen/keyboard.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't know if this has been brought up already because I couldn't read through the whole thread yet, crazy, CRAZY, busy at work. I had to however chime in because I was just thinking about this very thing this morning on the way to work after thinking about the podcast last night. I think one of the ways Apple could make this device complimentary to the iPhone is this. I don't know about others but I hate when I'm working and my phone is in my pocket and I get an email or text message. I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket, check it, it's nothing crazy important and I just interrupted my train of thought or what I was doing. However in this day and age we need to know everything right away that is what I end up doing alot of times per day. So what they should do is to have the iPhone and iPad link together whether through Wifi, BT or it's own link. Then two ways to do it a) have message forwarding on the phone and you choose the iPad as the destination it's sitting on my desk and if a text, email, whatever comes to the phone blip it pops up on my iPad easy to read and dismiss if it's not important and without disrupting my workflow alot b) Once the link is active if the iPhone is running a process, iTunes, Safari, etc. the messages get relayed to the iPad. Also with the same token if I have the iPad in my lap and I'm reading the message on my phone I just swipe it and it flies into the iPad and I can reply with the bigger screen/keyboard.

Why's your iphone in your pocket when you're working at desk? Should be docked to your PC or Mac... I don't see how the iPad enters into your scenario. It's an ereader or couch potato device.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Why's your iphone in your pocket when you're working at desk? Should be docked to your PC or Mac... I don't see how the iPad enters into your scenario. It's an ereader or couch potato device.

My phone is in my pocket because there's no need for it to be on my desk. Why do I need it docked to my laptop? it's synced in the morning and then it's in my pocket, nothing I do throughout the day requires it to be docked.

Krypto74

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I can't see it really eating into iPhone sales as they are not expressly for the same users. I personally am a bit conflicted about getting an iPad, mostly because with an iPhone in my pocket, why would I need to carry around another device if I can already do all those things on my phone?

Interestingly, I'm a student, and a bit a gadget geek (aren't we all) but the idea of reading textbooks from the device appealed to me very little. While it's neat, it's kind of like kindle for iPhone: cool to have, but ultimately uncomfortable for reading anything more than a few mintues.

I'm holding on my decision until I get into a store and actually manipulate one personally to see if it's something that would actually benefit me or if I'd be better off with another iPhone (come on 4th gen!).

Lady Kaede

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
No, because it's not a phone - but it will cut into iPod Touch sales a bit, and really hurt Apple's laptop business. I think the Macbook Air is dead unless they can drop the price way, way down. And I think 20 - 40% of people who would buy a MacBook are gonna seriously consider an iPad.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
it won't cut into the macbook sales because it's not powerful enough to be a standalone computer. plus you need a computer to sync it up. if it was a powerful enough computer, then it wouldn't matter if it cut into macbook sales and they would just raise the price. i agree, it's for the readers. it's competing mainly against the kindle.