View Poll Results: Will you take an iPad + Google Voice for a cell phone?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely Worth the 'No Contract'! I want iPad phone!

0 0%
  • No, I'm fine with my iPhone.

5 55.56%
  • I would be willing to buy an iPad but I'd still keep iPhone!!

3 33.33%
  • I'll stay with my current cell, but i'll still get an iPad

0 0%
  • iPad, Be Gone! Apple Hater in the House!

1 11.11%
    Assuming Google voice was available as VoIP, would you buy an iPad just to use it as your cell phone? The possibilities are endless when you think of all the money you'd end up saving with no contract-fees and minute-plans! With that being said, Vote Away!
    Last edited by Hakala; 01-27-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    01-27-2010 06:20 PM
    Google Voice currently does not have any VoIP features, you would need to use Skype to make calls from it.
    01-27-2010 06:37 PM
    Thanks for pointing that out for me. The post is all fixed now and should be presumably accurate. How did that pass my mind! I use google voice!!
    01-27-2010 07:00 PM
    How did that pass my mind! I use google voice!!
    It happens all the time, I think it's the whole "voice" thing in the name
    01-27-2010 07:22 PM
    I'm still not sure what you're talking about. Assuming apples were oranges, would you become a vegetarian?

So you want VOIP on a device that's bigger than a phone (but smaller than a breadbox) to use as your phone...when you're in a WiFi covered area. Ok, you can do that with Skype now on any laptop/netbook/cellphone that has WiFi. Google Voice doesn't enter into the picture.

Nobody is going to give up a cellphone for something too big to hold up to their ears. If you want proof of that, look at the number of people (not) using the HTC Advantage.
    01-27-2010 09:16 PM
    the irony is voip means voice over ip. this means that in general voice obviously also runs not over ip.

I see this kind of device as best for video conferencing... no camera makes no sense
    Last edited by flyingember; 01-27-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    01-27-2010 09:56 PM
    When i said iPad+3G i literally meant the iPad that has 3G capabilities. And assuming there could be a google voice app, would you use a nifty pair of headphones with a nifty little microphone to use as a communications device when away from home. Its simply a 'What if-' question. Note that no fruit was involved in my statement

This poll was all in good fun and i respect any one person who's got the courage to argue the opposite point or the 'but what about' area.
    01-27-2010 10:29 PM
    What if the iPad had a hot plate on the back. I would totally use it to heat my coffee!
    01-28-2010 07:18 AM
    People are going to find that VoIP isn't all it's cracked up to be on 3G. While VoIP on a good Broadband connection has much better call quality then a cell phone call, VoIP on a high latency 3G connection is not going to sound very good. Not only that but as you move in and out of 3G coverage you're going to get dropped calls and unregistered phones.
    01-28-2010 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD