• Yes, I'm getting it!

Votes: 81 39.3%
  • Maybe..

Votes: 35 17.0%

• Total voters

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I have no real interest in one, were it more open, closer to a Macbook than an iPod Touch I'd be quite interested, but with the same limitations as my iPhone sans phone, I'll pass.

Jayj0705

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I will be pre-ordering the iPad as soon as it is available through the Apple store. *As an early adopter I know that I will be a test guinea pig for apple but, that's the price that I pay for being apple fan. * I do feel that the iPad does have great potential with apps like iWork and future jailbreaks. *I do own a iPhone 3gs and currently share a netbook with my girlfriend. *I have been planning on buying a laptop but, the portability and the future potential is something that I can't overlook. *The thoughts of playing tv through slingbox and using miwi from my iPhone for tethering on such a large screen is a dream come true.... * * *

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I will be pre-ordering the iPad as soon as it is available through the Apple store. *As an early adopter I know that I will be a test guinea pig for apple but, that's the price that I pay for being apple fan. * I do feel that the iPad does have great potential with apps like iWork and future jailbreaks. *I do own a iPhone 3gs and currently share a netbook with my girlfriend. *I have been planning on buying a laptop but, the portability and the future potential is something that I can't overlook. *The thoughts of playing tv through slingbox and using miwi from my iPhone for tethering on such a large screen is a dream come true.... * * *

Great post. I agree with you all the way. I want it NOW lol.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have been planniing to buy this device since the rumors started. Admittedly I will be buying with Apple dollars (I own a little AAPL stock at $12 and sold some at $200-). I bought 8 iPod Touches for children at Christmas. I expect to buy some iPads for Christmas next year.

An iPad or a Touch comes with free Stanza and a library of 50K classic books. I do not have any other option to get so much value for the dollar.

The NY Times suggests that an iPad is a "Child's best friend." I believe.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
When I entered school, I had a slate. A few years later, I had rationed paper. Paper was a little more available by high school because it was subsidized by the state. By today's standards books were scarce.

Nothing so magical as the iPad could have entered my head. Imagine The Project Guttenberg library, an up-to- the minute encyclopedia, and the Internet for $500. Of course I will buy one for myself. More important I will buy them for children. Please join me.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I have been planniing to buy this device since the rumors started. Admittedly I will be buying with Apple dollars (I own a little AAPL stock at $12 and sold some at $200-). I bought 8 iPod Touches for children at Christmas. I expect to buy some iPads for Christmas next year.

An iPad or a Touch comes with free Stanza and a library of 50K classic books. I do not have any other option to get so much value for the dollar.

The NY Times suggests that an iPad is a "Child's best friend." I believe.

I'd been toying with the idea of getting my (will be 4 yrs old in June) kiddo a multitouch monitor and hooking up a cheap PC for her. But the apps and things you can do are limited.

This iPad seems more like what i want for her. She knows the iphone UI. I can even get a bluetooth kb to teach her typing hopefully.

My main concern (as with my old iphone) is her dropping it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'd been toying with the idea of getting my (will be 4 yrs old in June) kiddo a multitouch monitor and hooking up a cheap PC for her. But the apps and things you can do are limited.

This iPad seems more like what i want for her. She knows the iphone UI. I can even get a bluetooth kb to teach her typing hopefully.

My main concern (as with my old iphone) is her dropping it.
Just keep her on the carpet.

Read the thread on this forum, "How many times have you dropped....."

When my goddaughter was the age of her children, her favorite toy was a balloon. "Balloons pop." Toys break. It is in their nature. Children drop things. It is in their nature. No toy lasts forever; few make it to the attic.

I suspect that, simply because they have less mass, iPods are less likely to break when dropped. They also cost less. It is certainly a little more fragile than a Wii. However, I have observed that our tolerance for the risk of breakage of a toy depends in part upon whether we think of it as an "adult" toy.

My niece gets anxious when I let her children play with my iPhone. She says "They might break it." I say, "It is my risk and I can afford it." My, then eighteen year old, brother dinged my brand new car. I could afford it. Indeed my test as to whether I can afford something is "would I let someone else use it. If not, I cannot afford it.

Every family's risk tolerance is different. I hope this post raises your's enough to get your child a Touch or an iPad.

Last edited:

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I had said yes, but I am not getting it. However, I may not use some funds from school to purchase one.

Chris

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I had said yes, but I am not getting it. However, I may not use some funds from school to purchase one.

Chris
Amazon has pilot programs to provide text books as e-books. One will be able to have an iPad and all one's text books as e-books for less than the text books in paper.

Watch this space.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Apple has been, and will continue to, cost me quite a few bucks in 2010. I switched from the BlackBerry to the iPhone 3GS, at long last, and I'll be getting two of the iPad's, including one for my girlfriend's dad. I love this guy. He's 81 and loving his iPhone 3G, and was just showing off his new case for it tonight. :D He simply must have one.

Hopefully before then, the MacBook Pro's will refresh, and I'll sell my ThinkPad W700 so that I can afford a 17" WUXGA MBP, which will hopefully (pretty pretty please, Apple @#$%^&*) sport an IPS screen. The new iMac's now all have IPS, and even the upcoming iPad will get it, so why not the MacBook's? I'll do it either way, though. Lenovo has been pi**ing me off for too long now. Or is it Apple's marketing machine running on all cylinders that has broken me after ten years of nothing but ThinkPad's? The basis for this purchase shall be "you only live once". Done.

Then, I guess it'll be another iPhone (or two) this summer. At least I'll be saving money on the iPod's, as both my iPhone has - and by then, my iPad will have - an integrated iPod already. So I'll have two iPod's? How is this saving me money? Am I overspending? Pheww!....They're good.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Apple has been costing me quite a few bucks as well over the last 2 years. It least I no longer feel the need to buy iPods (rendered obsolete by iPhone + iTunes streaming around the house). But yeah, I'll be on the hook for a new iPhone come June and at least 1 iPad. At least I don't think I need a Mac this year, but that's only because I got a mini last year and a MBP the year before.

Heckenschutze

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about this Ipad. I like the size, but basically its my iPhone...but bigger. Basically the same features. I think I will wait for a newer model.

eejits

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I'll be getting one in the near future but the one person I think it would be really useful for is my dad. Great big display, great for sharing and displaying his photos. He'd be able to e-mail and surf the net from the comfort of his chair. I think the iPhone screen would be too small for him.

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
It will certainly make cloud computing necessary, or at least a good option, so as to keep all of my computers in sync (iPhone, iPad, laptop, and whatever else the mailman may bring this year :D).

Suddenly, iDisk and MobileMe makes sense to me. But at $69-$99 a year? It's not a huge deal and the convenience may very well be worth it. Apple's marketing mechanisms of generating cash are working in tune together beautifully.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro