• Yes, I'm getting it!

Votes: 81 39.3%
  • Maybe..

Votes: 35 17.0%

• Total voters

Pr3mier

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
I voted no. Why not make a dual boot iPhoneOS/MacOS tablet? Would it be too weak? Maybe if they increased hard drive capacity..

We all know these tech blogs have overhyped the iPad and it's leaving consumers disappointed. Apple just pulled a "iPod Touch 3Gen"

Unchewable

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I think if you know exactly what you are getting yourself into it is a great product. i have a laptop already (macbook pro). I dont really want a desktop or another laptop but i dont wanna lug my 15 inch with me everywhere either. I also cant get everything done on my iphone i would like, remoting into work typing longer emails, working on a pages doc or keynote presentation. so for people like me at that price point it is gonna be epic. because of the hype everybody should be disappointed but i am sure we will all be really impressed when actually using it. i can see tons of people using this on their couch instead of their laptop and saying man why didnt they think of this before.

arome76

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't see a use for it. Most people have a mac or pc at home and at work and internet able phone on the road. Sorry, just don't see it.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I'll probably get one. Still not sure of which version. I think the main thing that will determine the success of this device is how developers respond. If enough developers step up with expanded iPad-optimized apps, then this thing could really be awesome. Of course developers may be hesitant to focus on iPad only when there are already 75 million customers on the smaller platform. Of course only a minority of developers need to do this (who needs iPad-optimized fart or flashlight apps?), but they need to be the right developers- those making the most popular and/or functional apps: for me, things like Kindle, FaceBook, EverNote, certain games, etc.

And I really hope summer brings iPhone OS 4.0 and at least limited multi-tasking (could live with 1 3rd party app in the background at a time, would be happy with 3, would prefer unlimited).

Can't wait for a hands on at my local Apple store in 60 days. Am thinking I will hold out for the 3G version- just so I have an option of enabling it for $15 when I take it on a trip- that's actually a really sweet feature if the no contract, easy sign-up from the device bit is true.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Oh, and I think the new file sharing feature (while barely mentioned) will be huge: Directory shows up as an external drive on your desktop when you sync and you can copy files over, and all apps can access it. This will really change how apps work and will allow apps to work together in a much better way- and will end all the weird hacky ways that iPhone users resort to in order to get docs onto their iPhones (and you need 1 copy in each app's sandbox).

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't see a need for it other then a 'toy' or new gadget to play with. Then it would sit somewhere and never be used as I already have a iPhone 3GS, a Lenovo S10 netbook which works fine for browsing the web (specially using Google Reader) or using Facebook (and where I can play Mafia Wars or other Facebook games), a laptop (for work) as well as my Desktop PC (for gaming). Also, I enjoy purchasing 'hardcopy' books as I can be wreck-less with them, forget them in the car on a long trip or drop it on the side of the bed when I fall asleep and not worry bout them so I have no need for a e-reader.

Maybe if you could jailbreak this device and watch hulu.com or other Flash sites, as well as surf the net or read newspaper subscriptions while listening to Pandora radio then I would be more likely to buy it.

Additionally, I feel my iPhone is fragile enough, something like the iPad I would constantly worry bout as I dropped my iPhone two months ago on some pavement from 2 feet and it is scratched, I would be #@$@#$ off if I dropped the iPad and the same thing happens. I have a cover and protector for the glass, but the one time, the one time i had it off and the one time it fell.. ok I'm still scarred over the whole thing.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
MacBooks (laptops) are the new computer, and the iPad (tablets) are the new laptops.
The iPad is nothing like a laptop. You can't do laptop things on it. It's an iPod Touch on steroids.
This is not a laptop replacement otherwise there would be no debate about it's worthiness.

Are there times when an iPod Touch or iPad will get you what you need instead of a laptop? Yes. But there are a great many instances where it will not, particularly to do any real work.

Lady Kaede

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
@taylorh, I completely disagree. 90% of what I do on my laptop I can do on an iPad, and 90% of the rest someone will build an app for. What do you do with the laptop you don't think the iPad will do, and what % of the population do you think do those things too?

jus10time

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
It's a couch surfers dream, and it probably will sit on a lot of couches and coffee tables. That's where the niche is (same as netbooks niche- although there no comparison to iPad vs Netbooks imo). I hate watching live tv because of the commercials, but when I do -I surf during commercials. Or I'll sit while my wife watches her shows (cant stand network tv) and surf - just to be in the same room and be in the comfort of the living room. I use a laptop now, but the batteries are horrible (1.5-2 hours) so you usually end up sitting close enough to the wall outlet to keep them charging so you dont have to worry about it dying. Then they get too hot for your lap - i use a pillow for separation.

So, The main selling point is:

iPad gives you freedom to sit anywhere in your living room in any position - ultimate couch slouch

-sitting close enough to the wall(for charging) means you'll typically always sit in the same place. It gives you freedom.
-You don't have to worry about the heat (hopefully?)

This seems like minuscule advantages, but when you factor in the time spent in this situation, daily weeknights and long Sats and Sundays watching football etc - it becomes a major convenience factor. Also, the 499 wifi version is more than sufficient for it.

This use case also applies to airplanes, as it is the best flight device.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I've heard this mentioned many times, that the iPad is not something anyone NEEDS. It's not something that fills an empty hole. The iPad will be primarily someting you'll WANT. Why you'll want it will vary individually.
It's not a piece of crap. I wish people wouldn't say that. It is severely limited by design. I hate that about Apple and their products. Why limit anything intentionally I'll never understand. I've had an iPhone for almost 2 years and I still don't think we're better with the limitations than we'd be without them. It disappoints me because I really would like to have a device like this that would allow me to leave my laptop at home and even sync my iPhone/iPod to it.
But it's not that, it's the reverse. It's a thin client of sorts, not a computer.

Thinking with those expectations in mind, is it cheap enough to justify? That depends. Is there a use for it? I do have a use for it. But I haven't decided if that use is worth $630.
Would I be better off putting the money toward a really good Windows Tablet? Does or will anyone make one of those?

If nothing else, this will stimulate the tablet competition in good was.

Last edited:

Lady Kaede

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I want it but don't need it - yep. But when I replace my current laptop, will I get another, or an iPad? When my daughter leaves for college, will I send her off with a laptop or a netbook or an iPad? Te will tell, but the iPad could be compelling - all of her textbooks and syllabi and notes in one 1.5 lb device?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I'm not sure why people are disappointed in the iPad beyond it just feels trendy to do so. Sure, Apple could have thrown in a camera, but other than that the iPad is pretty much exactly what most thought it would be -- a giant iPhone/iPod. And that's *amazing*.

It's currently running iPhone 3.2. By June/July it will be running iPhone 4.0. And it will be running it on an almost 10" screen. The constraints that eliminates shouldn't be underestimated.

Look at the iPad as the iPhone in 2007. Didn't even have an SDK. iPad does, and thanks to iPhone it knows how to use it, as do developers.

This is the device I give my less tech savvy friends *instead* of a laptop (and kiss their tech support calls goodbye), and this is the device *I* use to consume portable media, to read, to watch, to finger paint, to play with iWork (still need a computer to work with it, and to do WebDev).

If Steve Jobs really thinks this is the most important thing he's done, given what he's done, and given the potential this device has as *big* iPhone/iPod touch, I'm *really* interested to see where it is at launch in March, where it is at 4.0 in June/July, and where it is next year for v2.

I'm going on record. Next big thing. Pun intended.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I want it but don't need it - yep. But when I replace my current laptop, will I get another, or an iPad? When my daughter leaves for college, will I send her off with a laptop or a netbook or an iPad? Te will tell, but the iPad could be compelling - all of her textbooks and syllabi and notes in one 1.5 lb device?
I think the textbook replacement aspect is huge. Carrying one of these instead of a bag of books? Make it work and that would be awesome. A no brainier.
However, for education, take a look at this:
A 16-year-old’s view of Apple’s iPad: iFail
He notes a potential limitation to using it in a class room. I'm not saying this necessarily applies to a college student, but it is something to consider.

I would think for taking notes in class a macbook 13" would be better, personally. It's small, has a keyboard, and runs real software. But you won't get your books on it.
Also, the iPad would need to sync to a computer to back anything up? Is there a way to back up your homework assignments from this? You won't be able to watch flash of web video on it (I would think a college student would want to watch hulu during down time) and due to it's lack of multi tasking you can't read and stream music and at the same time. iPod yes, Pandora or any streaming, no. I'm not saying anyone has to do that, but a college student is going to want the free streaming stuff I'd imagine. But having a separate iPod touch or Zune with subscription cancels that issue.
So really the iPad and and a Mac fill different voids.

I'm not sure how well you'll be able research and write a 20 page paper and submit it on an iPad vs. a laptop.

As the product evolves I think a most issues I speak of will evaporate fairly quickly. It's hard having not really used one to understand what's a better choice. I wish you luck with that.

mazjazz

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I also would like to have the ipad. I have an iPhone and work at home running VPN and VMware Fusion on my Intel iMac. If I was going to get a laptop (notebook), I would need a full OS with ability to use Microsoft Office and/or Windows access. Without native MS Word, Excel, PP, etc., the ipad is not a business nor a school device.

I agree that the ipad is a iPod Touch on steroids. If I can financially justify buying it, I'm sure I would enjoy using it. But then, I would feel that my iPhone would just be used as a mobile phone.

I will probably wait until the next generation before I consider a purchase, hopefully with Flash, multitasking and native ipad applications.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
So out of the people who are definately going to buy one who is going to wait for 2nd gen? I was convinced today by my friends to wait but I'm still on the fence since I'm a very impatient person and don't know if I could wait for months or possibly a year until a second gen comes out. It's just that looking at the difference between the 1st gen iPhone and the 3G ie. 2nd gen there is such a big difference. Also I think alot of people are mentioning things as negatives like no multi-tasking, no flash when a new OS is just right around the corner and no one knows what changes are coming.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox