Tether JB iPhone to New iPad, save $130?

rmb#IM

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Couldn't one just use a JB tethering app like MyWi on the iPhone, and connect to that shared data connection with the new iPad's Wifi?

Am I missing something or would that save lots of $$: both the $130 price jump for 3G enabled iPads, PLUS the 15 or 30$/mo iPad data package???

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
If you can jailbreak the iPad, which initially I doubt
Why would you need to JB the iPad? MyWi turns your iPhone in to a wifi router. The iPad can then just use it like any other WiFi AP.

I'd probably get the 3G model even without the intention of using 3G just so I have the option. Not sure.

Last edited:

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Why would you need to JB the iPad? MyWi turns your iPhone in to a wifi router. The iPad can then just use it like any other WiFi AP.

I'd probably get the 3G model even without the intention of using 3G just so I have the option. Not sure.

i can think of a couple of reasons

* backgrounder (and proswitcher, man that would be sweet on such a big screen)

* sbettings

Ok theres are apps but very useful none the less.

The trouble is i think that apple have learnt a lot now and as the latest build of the 3gs remains as a tethered jailbreak i doubt in this even newer hardware it would be possible.

We'll have to wait and see what the geniuses at the dev team and mr hotz can come up with. :)

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info

* sbettings

The trouble is i think that apple have learnt a lot now and as the latest build of the 3gs remains as a tethered jailbreak i doubt in this even newer hardware it would be possible.

We'll have to wait and see what the geniuses at the dev team and mr hotz can come up with. :)
Oh I don't disagree. I would have probably dumped my iPhone by now if I couldn't jailbreak it for backgrounder alone.

I just meant in the context of this topic which was going on with the WiFi iPad via a jailbroken iPhone. There's no reason you can't do that even without jailbreaking the iPad.

A successful non-tethered jailbreak with backgrounder will probably be the one requirement to me getting the iPad. I just can't see using this thing without it. Either that or Apple needs to build in the functionality which I REALLY HOPE they eventually will.

Really that *IS* the only 'limitation' of the iPad that will keep me from getting it. Solve background tasks and I'm sold. There are other missing/limitations that I'll whine about (just as I have with iPhone,) but nothing I can't live without.

tys

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

* sbettings

I think the Dev Team, et al will come through for us, but it may not happen quickly. I'm sure they'll have the ipad locked down tight.
But it's got some new features and capabilities, so maybe some new loopholes to exploit?
I also wonder if perhaps Apple won't care as much about JB, since it's already unlocked? I think a lot of the reason to keep the iPhone closed was contractual obligation with AT&T.
The ipad won't need a jailbreak to tether to a jailbroken iPhone with Mywi, however.

As long as I've got my jailbroken iPhone, I can handle a non-JB iPad. It'll be mostly an email/web device for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal