All of a sudden my iPad Mini will start making selections on the screen.

kburnsmill

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
It seems my mini has a mind of its own sometimes. In any app I can be just reviewing what's on the screen and then all of a sudden the mini will start making selections on the screen. Example, in Pinterest, I may be reviewing all the favorite pins and all of a sudden a pin will be pressed and then something else my be selected and so on. This may go on for a while then it stops.

I have tried a reset and it still doesn't fix the problem. Anyone had similar problem or know what is wrong with it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No. Never. Has the iPad Mini been wet? If bluetooth is enabled, make sure that a device you are unfamiliar with is not connected to it.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Screen problem

Could be a few things,

1. It could be accidental presses, and if your finger is somewhat damp and it makes the screen damp, it could affect presses as the screen may register these things as contacts on the screen, which could be triggering actions you don't want happen.

2. Lag is also another thing that affects accidental or delayed button presses. You may think you aren't pressing that button but an accidental press before could trigger that action after a delay.

3. This could also be a known app bug that the developers may be aware of. Post it in the feedback section of their app page in the App Store. Maybe that will shed some light on these bugs.

Hope that helped.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Another thing, check AirDrop from the Control Panel and make sure it is set to OFF. Not long after your initial post and after I had already replied, my iPhone 5 selected something on it's own. While looking over EVERYTHING, I noticed that AirDrop was set on "everybody" and that an unknown female's name appear in the list of nearby people to send a file to. I was like, "who in the heck is this?". Immediately, I turned off AirDrop and it haven't happened since. Of course, I've since performed a clean install of iOS....:)

Afikile Sikwebu

May 13, 2015
Visit site
If you fix it yourself, tell me how. I'm on my second Mini that has enjoyed that same fate. The first one was replaced by iStore since was under warranty. The second one was basically told to pay an amount equivalent for a new one.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you fix it yourself, tell me how. I'm on my second Mini that has enjoyed that same fate. The first one was replaced by iStore since was under warranty. The second one was basically told to pay an amount equivalent for a new one.

Are you certain it doesn't have water damage?

Tagreath

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
i have an Iphone 5 that does a very similar thing. In any app, all of a sudden it will start pressing buttons randomly, i put it down and watch it and it will keep going until i press the button at the top of the phone to send the screen blank. then i will swipe back in again and it will be ok.
I have noticed that it does it more if it gets hot, such as when i have held it in my hand for a short while.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i have an Iphone 5 that does a very similar thing. In any app, all of a sudden it will start pressing buttons randomly, i put it down and watch it and it will keep going until i press the button at the top of the phone to send the screen blank. then i will swipe back in again and it will be ok.
I have noticed that it does it more if it gets hot, such as when i have held it in my hand for a short while.

It either has water damage or the iOS version has gotten corrupted. I'd start by restoring the device and setting it up as new. If it is still randomly making selections, I'd make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose the problem for you.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2