What are you using your iPad Mini for?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I use my air for games and web and scanning documents into Dropbox or to email them .. Recently I was able to convert all my papers to PDF and drop box them to my lawyer without ever using a fax or a printer.
My wife uses her mini for everything school .. Online classes and web. Pretty much hard to find something I can't do vs a actual computer ... Mostly I have issue when trying to save documents it is easier on a computer depends on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

East

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Well I've had mine for about two weeks now and this is what I've been doing with it:

Twitter - light socialization, sharing links I enjoy.
iPhoto - general image editing, a pretty powerful app for mobile.
Storehouse - Interesting platform to consume new content. Beautiful layout with short video integration. Heavy on visual storytelling. Also features content production options and plugs into services like Flickr.
BikeMap - GPS capable app that excels at providing map functionality offline. Easy to plan and discover new bike routes with terrain specific options.
Free WiFi - Nice app that has offline map features allowing you to discover public WiFi to save on data. Most locations are reliable in my experience.
Drippler - News discovery app that analyzes your device and provides news and information surrounding iOS. Easy way to locate daily freebies (apps).
Hangouts - Provides VoIP integration for Google Voice over Wi-Fi and data 3G or better. Place and easily receive calls. SMS integration coming soon. I'd like to use this app for socialization more than I do but I don't know very many people that make use of it.
Skype - My go-to messenger most of the time. Decent video and voice calling.
Pocket - Frequently save articles for offline viewing. Great night viewing layout. Evernote integration.
Feedly - Good news discovery app with options to subscribe to popular feeds listed categorically with the ability to send articles to Pocket.
Flipboard - I mainly use this app to plug into my Twitter. Provides easy and quick card style navigation of shared links. It also makes viewing content shared on Twitter lists a breeze. Very easy to send articles to Pocket. Only drawback is the lack of a night viewing mode.
Evernote - I mainly use this to compile interest specific notebooks. For example if I find something interesting on camping it ends up in Pocket, then I'll send it to a notebook of mine designed around collecting ideas for camping or travel. Very useful for organizing ideas.
Wider Image - Reuters app that is based around photojournalism. Heavy on visual content and reporting, more so than Storehouse. Has a cool map that allows you to pick an area in the world and explore the stories around it. Ability to follow your favorite photojournalists.
FullControl - Nice little app that allows you to control your Mac from a couch or wherever. Trackpad, keyboard, and shortcut integration. Most useful if you're using a decent display or a TV.
WakeUp Pro - I use this to wake up every morning to my own music, requires me complete a math problem before turning off. Apparently this activates areas of the brain to ensure you are fully awake. I've found it generally works well.
Thermometer - Nice little app that provides a variety of weather conditions as well as comfort level.

For cloud services I'm fairly platform agnostic, making use of ADrive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive. Flickr mainly for photo storage and the free terabyte of space. There's a number of apps I didn't mention here but I definitely have a decent share of mobile games and a few streaming apps like Spotify and Rdio. I mainly just use my MacBook for work now. iPad for everything else. The separation actually seems to help me stay focused.

Jamalaya

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I use it for everything including phone calls and text (when I am not out and about). The main functions:

Email
Word processing
Social (blogs, FB, TW, G+ etc)
Surfing
Purchases
Reading
Music
Movies
Magazines
newspapers
sketching
Geocaching
photography
GPS (have wifi only but bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-B...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2214895) and travel.
Notes, Calendars (work, home and the kids)
Work meeting (GoTomeeting) and conferencing.

So you noticed no games :rotfl:
I am not into mini games. I need something with more meat in it, such as Guild Wars 2 :cool: and the reason I am keeping the PC.

and to protect my investment I bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-A...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2214895.

as the mini lives in my canvas bag which I throw about a lot.

Ajaykumar

Banned
Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I use my iPad mini to hear songs using Vintape app, play games(Infinity Blade and Critical Mission Swat), watch movies, read PDFs and eBooks.

Cheers!

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll break it down into three categories :rotfl:

1) It helps me a great deal with my studies, there's no better way to read 30-40 Pages and mark what's important than on iPad (plus a good App for it). No need to print 40 pages of paper each week and archive it, no need to carry it all around, and it's much better than reading digital books on my MacBook. Because you can sit down, hold it like a book in your hand and mark sentences with your finger. So for that alone I spend a lot of time on my Mini per day.

2) I also use it a lot on the go, that is in the car as navigation and my music library for long drives. Since I discovered it also fits in my back pocket I increasingly find myself putting it there when I just roam around outside to have the really large music library at my disposal (I usually just put fractions of it onto my Phone to keep it relatively empty).

3) All the at-home-entertainment aspects that have been mentioned earlier. On the couch, in bed, next to my coffee as the digital newspaper.

Answer to the OP title: A lot. :)

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
When I first purchased I was using it for school. Had all the books I could find digital copies of loaded on there. And used a word processor for quick assignments.

Now it's pretty much an ereader and for netflix when I don't want to wake my husband up

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Paul Robertson3

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I am looking at Ipad mini mostly for travel. Surfing the web is my main function, email and might get a game or two. Not into games yet. But what GB would I need. I am not big into camera or facebook and pic storage.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at Ipad mini mostly for travel. Surfing the web is my main function, email and might get a game or two. Not into games yet. But what GB would I need. I am not big into camera or facebook and pic storage.

Well, the 16 GB model should be sufficient for you, but if you can swing it, get a 32 gig model just in case your local storage need changes.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I use my mini 3 for light games, reading books, surfing, texts/SMS, and light emailing. For heavy or intense work, I pull out the MacBook Air.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Just internet browsing when I don't want to run my phone battery down. To be honest, since I got my 6 Plus, the iPad Mini has been doing a lot lot of sitting. It's last battery cycle had over ten days standby time. Oops.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2