Wifi only, or Wifi + Cellular?

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I currently own iPad 4 (WiFi), and plan to upgrade to iPad 5 (thinner/lighter? we'll see) and most interestingly, the newest iPad mini if it comes with Retina Display.

My question is: iPads have Cellular connectivity options, but I don't know if I should take it or not.
I can't figure out if I'd be using it...

Would you have any advices to make my mind?

I have the free dual-SIM option from my phone operator (which means I have a 2nd SIM available from my phone subscription, sharing data (and bills) with it).

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I currently own iPad 4 (WiFi), and plan to upgrade to iPad 5 (thinner/lighter? we'll see) and most interestingly, the newest iPad mini if it comes with Retina Display.

My question is: iPads have Cellular connectivity options, but I don't know if I should take it or not.
I can't figure out if I'd be using it...

Would you have any advices to make my mind?

I have the free dual-SIM option from my phone operator (which means I have a 2nd SIM available from my phone subscription, sharing data (and bills) with it).

If it doesn't cost you extra on your plan - I'd go for the cellular+wifi iPad.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You said you are using the WiFi version of the iPad 4 now. How is that working out for you? Do you find yourself in need of the cellular version now? If so then getting the WiFi/Cellular version would be a good upgrade for you if you decide to get the iPad 5.

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You said you are using the WiFi version of the iPad 4 now. How is that working out for you? Do you find yourself in need of the cellular version now? If so then getting the WiFi/Cellular version would be a good upgrade for you if you decide to get the iPad 5.

Today, I only use my iPad 4 at home or at my family places, all featuring WiFi connections.
I also use it in the train to watch movies. Cellular connection is out of mind there, the train is going too fast, it is barely usable, even with my phone.

I would use an iPad mini at work/school in addition to all of this, due to its form factor. Although again, they're both equipped with WiFi connection.

Maybe my usage is too restricted! I wonder what you guys, using the Wifi/Cellular iPad mini, are using it for!

Thanks for your feedback :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what you guys, using the Wifi/Cellular iPad mini, are using it for!

Thanks for your feedback :)

You're welcome, dalaen. I use the cellular feature on my iPad Mini when I want to use it in places where WiFi is not available, like my In-Law's house. I find that it's nice to have as a backup but not a necessity.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought the iPad 2 with cellular and never activated it. Thought it would be handy but like you I found myself in wifi spots most often. Bought a Mini and got the wifi version.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome, dalaen. I use the cellular feature on my iPad Mini when I want to use it in places where WiFi is not available, like my In-Law's house. I find that it's nice to have as a backup but not a necessity.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Same here..I use it at work, and the building I'm in doesn't have wifi

raorth

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Had an Ipad2 with cellular and sold it to get an Ipad mini with Wifi only. Miss the cellular and will purchase a new Ipad mini with cellular when the new ones come out.

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the mini with wifi and cellular - and it works great. I travel a lot and wifi is often not available so to have cellular is great! In fact I use cellular at home because my home wifi is so slowwwwwww! I'd definitely buy with cellular - even if you only need it occasionally it is good - otherwise if you don't have cellular or wifi, it's just an e-reader!

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I would like to thank all of you with your precious replies!

I took them in consideration, and would (yes, would, explanations following) take most definitely the Cellular in France, where I can get the 2nd SIM for free.
I explain myself: we can request our career in France a 2nd SIM for free with some subscriptions, using the same susbcription.

However, I am probably moving to the US next year, and I saw such a thing doesn't exist there. You have to pay for another subscription!
So I guess I'll go for a Wifi model in the US if the data doesn't come for free there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal