Hi,

I currently own iPad 4 (WiFi), and plan to upgrade to iPad 5 (thinner/lighter? we'll see) and most interestingly, the newest iPad mini if it comes with Retina Display.

My question is: iPads have Cellular connectivity options, but I don't know if I should take it or not.
    I can't figure out if I'd be using it...

Would you have any advices to make my mind?

I have the free dual-SIM option from my phone operator (which means I have a 2nd SIM available from my phone subscription, sharing data (and bills) with it).
    09-18-2013 04:13 PM
    Hi,

I currently own iPad 4 (WiFi), and plan to upgrade to iPad 5 (thinner/lighter? we'll see) and most interestingly, the newest iPad mini if it comes with Retina Display.

My question is: iPads have Cellular connectivity options, but I don't know if I should take it or not.
    I can't figure out if I'd be using it...

Would you have any advices to make my mind?

I have the free dual-SIM option from my phone operator (which means I have a 2nd SIM available from my phone subscription, sharing data (and bills) with it).
    If it doesn't cost you extra on your plan - I'd go for the cellular+wifi iPad.
    09-18-2013 07:50 PM
    You said you are using the WiFi version of the iPad 4 now. How is that working out for you? Do you find yourself in need of the cellular version now? If so then getting the WiFi/Cellular version would be a good upgrade for you if you decide to get the iPad 5.
    robertk328 likes this.
    09-18-2013 07:55 PM
    You said you are using the WiFi version of the iPad 4 now. How is that working out for you? Do you find yourself in need of the cellular version now? If so then getting the WiFi/Cellular version would be a good upgrade for you if you decide to get the iPad 5.
    Today, I only use my iPad 4 at home or at my family places, all featuring WiFi connections.
    I also use it in the train to watch movies. Cellular connection is out of mind there, the train is going too fast, it is barely usable, even with my phone.

I would use an iPad mini at work/school in addition to all of this, due to its form factor. Although again, they're both equipped with WiFi connection.

Maybe my usage is too restricted! I wonder what you guys, using the Wifi/Cellular iPad mini, are using it for!

Thanks for your feedback
    09-19-2013 01:44 AM
    I wonder what you guys, using the Wifi/Cellular iPad mini, are using it for!

Thanks for your feedback
    You're welcome, dalaen. I use the cellular feature on my iPad Mini when I want to use it in places where WiFi is not available, like my In-Law's house. I find that it's nice to have as a backup but not a necessity.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    09-19-2013 07:25 PM
    I bought the iPad 2 with cellular and never activated it. Thought it would be handy but like you I found myself in wifi spots most often. Bought a Mini and got the wifi version.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-19-2013 07:28 PM
    You're welcome, dalaen. I use the cellular feature on my iPad Mini when I want to use it in places where WiFi is not available, like my In-Law's house. I find that it's nice to have as a backup but not a necessity.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    Same here..I use it at work, and the building I'm in doesn't have wifi
    Eileen89 likes this.
    09-19-2013 08:20 PM
    Had an Ipad2 with cellular and sold it to get an Ipad mini with Wifi only. Miss the cellular and will purchase a new Ipad mini with cellular when the new ones come out.
    09-20-2013 10:30 PM
    I have the mini with wifi and cellular - and it works great. I travel a lot and wifi is often not available so to have cellular is great! In fact I use cellular at home because my home wifi is so slowwwwwww! I'd definitely buy with cellular - even if you only need it occasionally it is good - otherwise if you don't have cellular or wifi, it's just an e-reader!
    09-29-2013 11:33 AM
    I would like to thank all of you with your precious replies!

I took them in consideration, and would (yes, would, explanations following) take most definitely the Cellular in France, where I can get the 2nd SIM for free.
    I explain myself: we can request our career in France a 2nd SIM for free with some subscriptions, using the same susbcription.

However, I am probably moving to the US next year, and I saw such a thing doesn't exist there. You have to pay for another subscription!
    So I guess I'll go for a Wifi model in the US if the data doesn't come for free there.
    09-29-2013 12:08 PM
    get cellular if you can afford it

then just use it when you need to

use wifi the rest of the time!
    10-01-2013 08:27 AM