New Nexus 7's screen vs iPad Mini

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't trying to start an Apple/Android war. I was just curious what your thoughts were...any others?

the aspect ratio is far more enjoyable to me.
I find auto correct better then the stock Google one(I have swift key but a recent bug killed it for me)
apps more visually appealing.
Deep DEEP integration between my iPad 4, MacBook Pro and soon to be iPhone 5.
Can't think of any others of the top of my head.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't trying to start an Apple/Android war. I was just curious what your thoughts were...any others?

I would agree with him actually. This is coming from someone who has owned 3 android handsets plus a android tablet.
Googles OS is no where near as stable as iOS nor can its tablet apps even compare to the quality of apps that are offered on iOS.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I would agree with him actually. This is coming from someone who has owned 3 android handsets plus a android tablet.
Googles OS is no where near as stable as iOS nor can its tablet apps even compare to the quality of apps that are offered on iOS.

Saying that 4.3 is just very stable on my Nexus 4.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The new Nexus 7 is nor buggy or unstable. You should seriously consider using one before making stupid assumptions.

I'm revising my former opinion on this. So far the GPS and the multitouch problems on the new N7 have managed to occur often enough to make news on several websites now along with an acknowledgement from Google that they need to look into it. Personally I just exchanged mine today for the multitouch problem, set my new unit up a few min ago, and this one is screwed up too. Am I angry and frustrated and going to probably wait for the mini2 to come out this year? More than likely, yes.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm revising my former opinion on this. So far the GPS and the multitouch problems on the new N7 have managed to occur often enough to make news on several websites now along with an acknowledgement from Google that they need to look into it. Personally I just exchanged mine today for the multitouch problem, set my new unit up a few min ago, and this one is screwed up too. Am I angry and frustrated and going to probably wait for the mini2 to come out this year? More than likely, yes.

You get issues like that with every device for example the scratches on the iPhone 5.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Clearly the 2013 N7's display is better than the 2012 iPad Mini's display.

Will that make a bunch of people switch? Unlikely. For now.

Does it nudge Apple into picking up its game on the screens of their next-gen iPad Mini? Definitely.

Me, I'm waiting till the fall. If a retina iPad Mini comes out, I'm buying it. If not, I either upgrade my iPad 2 to a retina iPad (refurbished 4 or new 5), or I look again at Android tablets. (I do own a 2012 N7. It runs nicely. It doesn't feel the same, but it isn't at all bad. Glad to have a cheap device that lets me try out all the new Android stuff.)

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
You get issues like that with every device for example the scratches on the iPhone 5.

But we've been hit with 3 issues big enough to make the tech media along with their own large threads on Google support forums. Touch screen, GPS, and random reboots. I can't ever recall any iPhone or iPad release plagued by this many well publicized issues. Not even antennagate.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, the questions in this thread are trivial:

Yes, the 2013 Nexus 7 beats the pants off the 2012 iPad Mini in terms of screen resolution. No, that isn't going to make any of the iMore crowd switch small tablets -- most of us like Apple's products for other reasons.

[Am I going to buy an iPad Mini 2 this fall if it has a retina screen? You betcha. (May even get one without a retina screen -- the iPad 2 is feeling heavier and heavier...) And I'm looking forward to trying out Key Lime Pie on my 2012 Nexus 7.]

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Things keep piling up more and more against the new Nexus 7 for me. I'm on my 3rd return now. I don't want to risk investing in a device that's got a bunch of now-public launch issues that I might eventually have to go through a snail mail Asus mail-in warranty issue over at some point when I know the Mini 2 is probably going to rival the 2013 N7's specs AND I'll be able to just drive on over to the Apple Store under warranty and have the guy simply grab me a brand new replacement off the shelf behind him if there's a warranty problem. Plus I also just found out about this:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ant-get-paid-apps-via-google-play-beware.html

Google had a real big chance to show that they can go toe to toe with iPads by launching a great spec tablet with software controlled directly by Google and top notch build quality, but Asus is blowing that for them once again.

Padron26

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I like all os' they all have there advantages/disadvantages. I'm browsing through this this thread cause I'm looking for something new to play with.
I've got practically everything else but a mini.

only real problem ive had with androids is what just happened to Rule9 but with multiple devices and brands

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
But we've been hit with 3 issues big enough to make the tech media along with their own large threads on Google support forums. Touch screen, GPS, and random reboots. I can't ever recall any iPhone or iPad release plagued by this many well publicized issues. Not even antennagate.

There are touch screen and GPS bugs in the new nexus. Many people have confirmed those bugs.

sanc333

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Clearly the 2013 N7's display is better than the 2012 iPad Mini's display.

Will that make a bunch of people switch? Unlikely. For now.

Does it nudge Apple into picking up its game on the screens of their next-gen iPad Mini? Definitely.

Me, I'm waiting till the fall. If a retina iPad Mini comes out, I'm buying it. If not, I either upgrade my iPad 2 to a retina iPad (refurbished 4 or new 5), or I look again at Android tablets. (I do own a 2012 N7. It runs nicely. It doesn't feel the same, but it isn't at all bad. Glad to have a cheap device that lets me try out all the new Android stuff.)

Probably specs wise it is better. But iPad mini is basically a more portable version of the iPad and i believe that apple wont kill that portability factor by including a retina iPad mini as those displays are heavy.
Per the android tablets, personally i haven't used one but what some of my colleagues tell me is that the amount and quality of apps made for android tablets are very less. So the people who use iPads are very unlikely to switch to new nexus as their primary tablet.
I believe its fighting more with samsung's tablets rather than iPads.

carbon fibre

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

No, not 'nuff said, unless you are willing to accept a flawed argument. Specifically:
"The Nexus 7 (2013) is 7.87- x 4.49- x 0.34 and weighs 0.64 lbs. It now uses a 16:10 1920x1200 (2,304,000 pixel), 323ppi screen, and gets 9-hours of battery life - in airplane mode."

I am sure you are familiar with Anandtech. His reviews are... thorough. Here is the battery life. I would paste in the testing protocol, but let's just say it is ... well thought out. 12.23 hours vs 8.87 hours for the iPad mini.

57306.png

38% more battery life with 37% less pixels. Can you connect it from there?
A retina mini using Nexus7 level hardware could exactly match the current iPad mini battery life.

I was all iOS (retina ipad, iPhone, apple tv) until a month ago. I have the new Nexus 7 and I now choose it 90% of the time over the retina iPad. And that is at home. Colour me surprised as I was putting at least 6 hours a day on my iPad. Of course the portability has me packing it off site often now as well.

Apple had better step up its game this fall. I use a icloud email address, I schedule everything on ical, most of my texts are imessages, all my contacts in Contact etc. I am all in with iOS and still I am seriously contemplating getting a Note 3 or a Nexus 5 when they are out.

The new Nexus 7 is that good.

I'll end with a line from the anandtech conclusion:
"The build quality is great, the display is amazing and the hardware is fast."

carbon fibre

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I am waiting for Apple to show their stuff like they have done in the past. I admit, I am impressed with the new Nexus 7. However I have an apple ecosystem. Every Apple product that's out there I have. But I am impressed with the Nexus 7. Unless Apple comes out with an exciting Mini with high res, my old one might be off to Gazelle and my first Android purchased.

The new Nexus 7 is my first Android purchase. All iOS till now including a retina iPad.
The N7 is a fantastic tablet. I choose it 90% of the time over the iPad now.

I am as surprised as anyone about this.

carbon fibre

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Update JSS15Q,which successfully addresses both the multitiouch issue and the GPS issue has been/is being pushed OTA. I received it on the weekend. It fixed my GPS issue (dropped signal after 30 minutes or so).

That is the nice thing about a Nexus Android product. Apple-like with respect to updates.

PS: yes the WiFi N7 has excellent GPS, unlike my iPad which has none. I cached my city map in Google Maps and can use it to navigate (with voice prompts) without a persistent network connection. You need to choose the route with internet access (eg iphone hotspot), but once done no network is required. Very nice hi-res car nav setup. The display is freakishly good.

carbon fibre

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
For some reason when I see pictures of the new Nexus 7, I don't even notice the the HD display, because my eyes just can't seem to get past the "huge" bezel that surrounds it. :laughing:

Presumably you own an iPhone like me. If you can stomach the ridiculously huge chin and forehead on that, you will have absolutely no problem using the Nexus 7.

carbon fibre

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I had the GPS issue, but no more after the OTA update.
Never had the touch screen issue or the random reboot, but the OTA update targets the multitouch issue as well. Quick and effective.

AnandTech | Nexus 7 (2013) JSS15Q OTA Update Rolling Out - Fixes GPS/GNSS and Multitouch Issues

carbon fibre

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Probably specs wise it is better. But iPad mini is basically a more portable version of the iPad and i believe that apple wont kill that portability factor by including a retina iPad mini as those displays are heavy.
Per the android tablets, personally i haven't used one but what some of my colleagues tell me is that the amount and quality of apps made for android tablets are very less. So the people who use iPads are very unlikely to switch to new nexus as their primary tablet.
I believe its fighting more with samsung's tablets rather than iPads.

I am at 90% new Nexus 7 / 10% retina iPad at home. Of course when I am out it is no contest. All N7 all the time.

It really is a fantastic tablet.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am at 90% new Nexus 7 / 10% retina iPad at home. Of course when I am out it is no contest. All N7 all the time.

It really is a fantastic tablet.

I'm sure the 2013 N7 is better but my experience with Android tablets has been terrible. I got the N7 last year tried it for a few days planning on keeping it but the lag started to show 2nd day and I installed maybe 10 apps then it died on me after for a second so I plugged it in to charge it but the thing wouldn't even turn on to indicate it was charging. So next day I returned it. Before the N7 I owned the Retina iPad and the Mini, for me personally I prefer the iPad experience compared to Android as there are still not enough tablet optimized apps for Android.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2