New Nexus 7's screen vs iPad Mini

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yes. I will bet my 3 acre house on it.

Have you counted both up? You sound pretty confident. Don't forget, we're talking vanilla android. Not modifications like Sense or touchwiz.

And no, i'm not going to count them (even if I am a CPA..lol). I can list off many things android can't do or do nearly as well. I know it's easy to see that iOS doesn't have widgets, pull down settings (yet) or ability to customize (much). This can easily lead to the perception that android has more features or capabilities. As obvious as that is, it's just two or three features..

Hey, you can swipe your finger on an email to delete it. That's a feature right? iOS has tons of them. What about pressing the top bar to quickly scroll up? What about the bounce scrolling in iOS?

We're talking about numbers in the thousands then if we're to add up all these features. Have you done this for each OS?

I did see Google is still trying to catch up to Apple. Android gets a native phone finder service, finally | Ars Technica Here's their version of "find my iphone." And hey, lookie here, Google is going with its own "gamecenter" Google takes on Game Center with Google Play Games for Android - SomeDroid. How can this be? Where's the innovation? Stealing ideas from Apple? It's just disappointing right? Will android ever see 5.x? It's been what..a decade now stuck in the 4.x?

Google still has a long way to go to match Apple's features and capabilities. With iOS 7 announced, google has an even longer road to catch up. iOS 7 changes the game. I say the first sentence with confidence because they can't frankly. Google isn't set up to do what Apple can provide. And nope, acquiring Moto did nothing for them. See Moto X. Google can't even update their own phone directly which ships with an old version of android. That's google supposedly "redefining" android. That's innovation right?

Last edited:

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I had the original Nexus 7 before I got my iPad Mini. Although it did not stream smoothly for me (buffering a lot) it was a nice device for everything else. I gave it to my daughter when I got my iPad Mini. Being a gadget junkie I was curious about the N7.2. I looked at it in both Staples and Best Buy and both times I came back with the same opinion. The screen looks like it is being absolutely swallowed up by the bezels. I don't remember thinking that about the original N7. The screen just looked so tiny to me--like looking at a 5x7 photo centered in the middle of a photo album (yes, I know its really 7 inches). I suppose that is mostly because I've become accustomed to the larger screen size of the Mini and then also partly because the bezels are kind of fat on the N7.2. I will say the screen quality was excellent and the device was fast, fast, fast! With the high-resolution screen on the N7.2 and the rumored high-resolution screens on the up-coming Kindles, I do think it will be a shame if Apple does not increase the resolution on the Mini with the next iteration.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
quality not quantity. apple may be catching up to android when it comes to "features and capabilities", but andriod has a long way to go before it catches up with apple. a lot of androids "new features" are useless. who wants streaming video/audio to stop everytime they look away from the screen? not me...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
quality not quantity. apple may be catching up to android when it comes to "features and capabilities", but andriod has a long way to go before it catches up with apple. a lot of androids "new features" are useless. who wants streaming video/audio to stop everytime they look away from the screen? not me...

That's not an android feature. That's part of touchwiz or samsungs bloatware whichever you prefer to call it.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you counted both up? You sound pretty confident. Don't forget, we're talking vanilla android. Not modifications like Sense or touchwiz.

And no, i'm not going to count them (even if I am a CPA..lol). I can list off many things android can't do or do nearly as well. I know it's easy to see that iOS doesn't have widgets, pull down settings (yet) or ability to customize (much). This can easily lead to the perception that android has more features or capabilities. As obvious as that is, it's just two or three features..

Hey, you can swipe your finger on an email to delete it. That's a feature right? iOS has tons of them. What about pressing the top bar to quickly scroll up? What about the bounce scrolling in iOS?

We're talking about numbers in the thousands then if we're to add up all these features. Have you done this for each OS?

I did see Google is still trying to catch up to Apple. Android gets a native phone finder service, finally | Ars Technica Here's their version of "find my iphone." And hey, lookie here, Google is going with its own "gamecenter" Google takes on Game Center with Google Play Games for Android - SomeDroid. How can this be? Where's the innovation? Stealing ideas from Apple? It's just disappointing right? Will android ever see 5.x? It's been what..a decade now stuck in the 4.x?

Google still has a long way to go to match Apple's features and capabilities. With iOS 7 announced, google has an even longer road to catch up. iOS 7 changes the game. I say the first sentence with confidence because they can't frankly. Google isn't set up to do what Apple can provide. And nope, acquiring Moto did nothing for them. See Moto X. Google can't even update their own phone directly which ships with an old version of android. That's google supposedly "redefining" android. That's innovation right?
File browsers on my Nexus 4(stock) face recognition lock, photo spheres, much better inter app sharing.

The Moto X is a *Motorola* phone. Not a Google phone. If Google showed favouritism they would get sued for anti trust so they have to get Motorola to do it on there own, fail point.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site

That's a Samsung feature.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
File browsers on my Nexus 4(stock) face recognition lock, photo spheres, much better inter app sharing.

The Moto X is a *Motorola* phone. Not a Google phone. If Google showed favouritism they would get sued for anti trust so they have to get Motorola to do it on there own, fail point.

Google owns Motorola so I'm not seeing your point. I think Google's intention in "redefining android" is just providing a real competitor to Samsung and getting a bit of control over it back. The Nexus brand IMO has always been more of having a developer device for google.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Google owns Motorola so I'm not seeing your point. I think Google's intention in "redefining android" is just providing a real competitor to Samsung and getting a bit of control over it back. The Nexus brand IMO has always been more of having a developer device for google.

Maybe you missed the part where Motorola didn't work with Google(no where near enough) to make the Moto X.

EDIT: http://mobile.pcmag.com/#!/article/...48-motorola-moto-x-is-not-the-new-nexus-phone

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Do you not know that Google OWNS Motorola's Cell phone division?

I do. Do you KNOW that Motorola is treated as a normal manufacturer? Read the link before commenting please:

"PCMag: Google has said repeatedly that Motorola is a totally separate company, though Motorola is now officially "a Google company." Were they truly hands off during the process?
Clearly, we're part of Google. No uncertainty there. But we are also very separate from the Android team, and we're just like any other OEM in our interactions with them. And fundamentally, we don't get things like early access to software or anything like that. And that's really important for the Android ecosystem. But you know, as part of Google there are a lot of benefits that come with that. There are approximately 70 employees who at one point were working at Google and have come over and taken leadership positions at Motorola. We interact a lot with Google leadership, so clearly there is benefits to being part of a company with great talent and great resources. You can see some of the things that we're doing here, part of our strategy is to be a great showcase with our hardware for enhancing Google services and the user experiences associated with them. And touchless control and how it works with Google Now is one example like that."

-PC mag interviewing Motorola.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
They can twaddle on all they want about Moto being "separate"... in the end, Google owns them - and they'll do what the Google bosses tell them they're to do. Anyone thinking anything else is naive.

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
They can twaddle on all they want about Moto being "separate"... in the end, Google owns them - and they'll do what the Google bosses tell them they're to do. Anyone thinking anything else is naive.

Just gonna ignore the official statement from Motorola? Why cannot you admit you are wrong with your assumption.

Dark_Huntress

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I am waiting for Apple to show their stuff like they have done in the past. I admit, I am impressed with the new Nexus 7. However I have an apple ecosystem. Every Apple product that's out there I have. But I am impressed with the Nexus 7. Unless Apple comes out with an exciting Mini with high res, my old one might be off to Gazelle and my first Android purchased.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
For some reason when I see pictures of the new Nexus 7, I don't even notice the the HD display, because my eyes just can't seem to get past the "huge" bezel that surrounds it. :laughing:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blutrolCRASH